HR 120: 0.02, -1, 31

HR 123: 0.05, -2, 32

HR 126: 0.14, -1, 32

HR 129: 0.35, 0, 31

HR 132: 0.29, 1, 32

HR 135: 0.21, 2, 32

HR 138: 0.18, 3, 32

HR 141: 0.06, 0, 31

I'm guessing when the 850 gets to 0 or above it would be liquid precip? 2M temps never get above 32, so I'm guessing it would freeze? Am I right here?

If that's the case it would be: 0.31 QPF snow. 1.09 QPF frozen precip? (Frz Rain, sleet etc)

MKE sounding:

.15 QPF snow, rest (1.5 QPF rain)

I'm new to this stuff, so I think I have the right idea.

• Replies 983
  • Created
  • Last Reply

lol for some reason I thought this thread was at 3 pages when I left for bowling so needless to say when i seen 9 pages I about came in my pants.. Skipped through the gfs real fast and it brings swamp ass air up to chicago and the ggem is deciding if its wants to blow its load in n Iowa or in MN it looks like.. Euro prob. makes it a 3some with those two tonight... I should have stayed out drinking after bowling :( Guess I could start now.

Here is the soundings for MKE and FDL:

FDL: (QPF, 850, 2M temp)

HR 102: 0.02, -4, 29

HR 105: 0.06, -3, 29

HR 108: 0.02, -2, 30

HR 120: 0.02, -1, 31

HR 123: 0.05, -2, 32

HR 126: 0.14, -1, 32

HR 129: 0.35, 0, 31

HR 132: 0.29, 1, 32

HR 135: 0.21, 2, 32

HR 138: 0.18, 3, 32

HR 141: 0.06, 0, 31

I'm guessing when the 850 gets to 0 or above it would be liquid precip? 2M temps never get above 32, so I'm guessing it would freeze? Am I right here?

If that's the case it would be: 0.31 QPF snow. 1.09 QPF frozen precip? (Frz Rain, sleet etc)

MKE sounding:

.15 QPF snow, rest (1.5 QPF rain)

I'm new to this stuff, so I think I have the right idea.

Sounds about right. Looks like you're teetering right on the edge there. You should be glad the GFS will be proven wrong by the Euro (I expect) :drunk:

lol for some reason I thought this thread was at 3 pages when I left for bowling so needless to say when i seen 9 pages I about came in my pants.. Skipped through the gfs real fast and it brings swamp ass air up to chicago and the ggem is deciding if its wants to blow its load in n Iowa or in MN it looks like.. Euro prob. makes it a 3some with those two tonight... I should have stayed out drinking after bowling :( Guess I could start now.

Through my (admittedly limited compared to most here) knowledge of the models, I can't help but trust the Euro about 2 or 3 times more than the GFS or any other model. I won't react negatively until or unless I see the Euro take a significant step backward.

Through my (admittedly limited compared to most here) knowledge of the models, I can't help but trust the Euro about 2 or 3 times more than the GFS or any other model. I won't react negatively until or unless I see the Euro take a significant step backward.

Yeah I'll feel more optimistic like I said after the 12z euro if tonight's euro holds serve. Not to many times the GFS leads the way over the euro for 3 runs in a row so there is still about 40 mins of hope this storm lives another day if we want wintery precip.

That is what I'm hoping as I know I'm out of wintry precipitation for the time being. Definitely hoping for a better severe season than last which was quietest on record for these parts. But good luck to those up north!

big differences between this run and the 12z run. look at difference in the trof out west at D7-D8.

this could be the first decent seather wx maker if everything plays out.

Don't really see all that much of a difference in the new 00z guidance compared to this morning's 12z. Still looks like any snow stays pretty far north over Minnesota through the northern half of Wisconsin, and on into Michigan. Since we managed to miss any thunder from the blizzard I hope we can squeak out a few rumblers with this upcoming system lol.

I think the main thing I've noticed with the pattern the next 6-10 days is that the baroclinic zone pretty much stays in place. It's pretty potent, but it's really not moving all that much. This keeps the parade of storms progressing over relatively similar tracks. Since the baroclinic zone hangs pretty far to the north compared to late, this generally keeps the best snow chances further north as well. Until we see the baro zone bulge south I really don't see much wintry weather for the central and southern MW for the next 10 days. JMO. :popcorn:

Archived