clydes6
    Newest Member
    clydes6
Feb. 20th - ? Possible Storm

wisconsinwx

• Replies 983
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, nothing's set in stone yet. The fact that it's now looking like a multiple wave event certainly complicates things.

yeah its looking quite complex indeed.

i just wasnt openminded to the idea that the PV could interact or be different.....which i should have been since one of my basic tenets is that the PV is poorly modeled and can have huge shifts by hundred of miles within a day or 2 of an event even.

i'm not sure why i went against that, i suppose because i saw a unidirectional trend.

i just wasnt openminded to the idea that the PV could interact or be different.....which i should have been since one of my basic tenets is that the PV is poorly modeled and can have huge shifts by hundred of miles within a day or 2 of an event even. i'm not sure why i went against that, i suppose because i saw a unidirectional trend.

When you say PV interact, do you mean help amplify the low, or help push the low south some? Maybe I am having a tough time understanding if thats a pv in canada or just high pressure.

i just wasnt openminded to the idea that the PV could interact or be different.....which i should have been since one of my basic tenets is that the PV is poorly modeled and can have huge shifts by hundred of miles within a day or 2 of an event even.

i'm not sure why i went against that, i suppose because i saw a unidirectional trend.

I was the same way. I didn't think the PV could play a role in this storm, except to suppress it. But now with the help of some jet coupling it looks like the models are trying to interact the PV with the lead southern stream s/w into a more northern "first" storm. Had the energy out west slowed and stayed consolidated, there'd be no PV interaction, and the suppression would have occurred. That's why I was so gung-ho about suppression.

Just curious Canuck--are you close to having to payout to Stebo, Hoosier, and others?

lol, don't remind them. :lol:

Stebo and I went double or nothing on 55". I proposed to Hoosier/Michsnowfreak that we do the same but haven't heard back from them. I'm going to charge Chicago Storm/JoMo a 20 dollar blizzard fee for getting 1.5 feet+ from the same storm that screwed me.

The 18Z NAM and the 12Z Euro are about as far apart as two solutions can be with the storm threat.

Maybe it is me but i have a hard time buying such a track with this in the position it is..

post-90-0-18854900-1297976478.gif

Ofcourse the model could be off with that as well. Keep in mind that with the blizzard that feature was farther to the ne in Canada.

Maybe it is me but i have a hard time buying such a track with this in the position it is..

post-90-0-18854900-1297976478.gif

Ofcourse the model could be off with that as well. Keep in mind that with the blizzard that feature was farther to the ne in Canada.

It is just another solution--I don't really find it likely and it really lags that vortex more than the other guidance. It was also slower with the western ejecting wave. For now I am giving the 18Z NAM little credence with its large run to run changes. At least the globals--while also having issues--are a bit more consistent with the changes. That vortex is a BIG if since it can both positively influence and negatively influence development of the eventual cyclone. The NAM overall solution looks similar to 12Z--but it was more pure dumb luck since there were rather large changes in the upper height field and positioning of the waves.

It is just another solution--I don't really find it likely and it really lags that vortex more than the other guidance. It was also slower with the western ejecting wave. For now I am giving the NAM little credence.

I hear you and agree.

Still amazes me how great models do with blocking ( see many of the eastcoast storms this winter and last ) but yet the minute the blocking goes so does the performance of the models or so it seems anyways.

My hunch is we see a few more swings in the days to come as well.

nao.sprd2.gif

ao.sprd2.gif

If that is all to be believed then i really don't see a NAM or GFS part 1 ( so far to the north/nw ) type of outcome occurring but ofcourse stranger things have happened. We'll see.

TS, can you post the output for MKE? Just wanna see how they would do in terms of temps etc.

Thanks in advance.

sorry I was at work, storm total from both waves is 1.80" liquid. a good deal of that is snow as you can see.

SUN 18Z 20-FEB 0.7 -0.7 1012 94 99 0.38 556 547

MON 00Z 21-FEB 0.2 0.2 1008 98 92 0.25 554 547

MON 06Z 21-FEB -1.3 -2.9 1009 90 91 0.15 552 545

MON 12Z 21-FEB -3.1 -4.3 1012 82 52 0.05 549 540

MON 18Z 21-FEB -4.2 -6.6 1010 81 100 0.11 547 539

TUE 00Z 22-FEB -5.7 -13.1 1009 83 100 0.62 538 531

TUE 06Z 22-FEB -6.8 -15.1 1012 81 78 0.19 533 524

TUE 12Z 22-FEB -10.9 -16.0 1017 84 79 0.03 534 522

TUE 18Z 22-FEB -3.2 -14.7 1021 58 66 0.02 541 524

Can we get some love down here? A lot of you have been hammered while we have nickled and dimed our way to 29 inches of snowfall this season. Can't me and Buck get some action and what I mean by that is a 6+ snowfall? You all are spoiled rotten :arrowhead: .. My gut tells me the second wave will track more north with heaviest axis of snow being northern Ohio and southern Michigan. But it would be nice to get a surprise hit down this way before the season closes.

another poor afternoon AFD from LOT, no mention of Euro and second wave/snow.

RAIN IS EXPECTED FOR MOST OF THE DAY ON SUNDAY PER LATEST

GUIDANCE. WITH COLD FRONT PASSAGE SHOULD SEE A QUICK TRANSITION BACK

TO SNOW BEFORE PRECIP TAPERS OFF. BOTTOM LINE IS RIGHT NOW NOT

LOOKING AT ANY SIGNIFICANT FREEZING RAIN ACCUMULATION...THOUGH EVEN

A BRIEF OCCURRENCE CAN CAUSE PROBLEMS ON THE ROADWAYS.

UNFORTUNATELY /OR PERHAPS FORTUNATELY/ THE AXIS OF HIGHEST QPF IS

ALSO IN QUESTION. LATEST NAM/GFS/GEM RUNS PUSHING HEAVIEST RAIN

NORTH INTO WISCONSIN BUT LOOKING AT SREF PLUMES AS WELL AS RAW

GUIDANCE...STILL LOOKING AT THE POTENTIAL FOR A HALF INCH OR SO OF

QPF ACROSS NORTHERN TIER COUNTIES IN THE FORECAST AREA. A SHIFT

FARTHER SOUTH IN THE MODELS COULD BRING THE POTENTIAL FOR UP TO OR

OVER AN INCH OF QPF WITH THIS SYSTEM.

Archived