g0ldl10n
    Newest Member
    g0ldl10n
Feb. 20th - ? Possible Storm

wisconsinwx

• Replies 983
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Exactly. Its happened with just about ever winter storm this season. Just as GFS agrees ECMWF is like "Jay/kay" and does it's own thing, then everything else eventually trends to it.

Yeah this winter has been tough no doubt. Op trends and even ensemble mean trends have meant little to nothing at times--especially when the Polar Vortex has been in the game. This forecast is so challenging since it has 2 distinct moving parts and an amped baro zone.

Very strong -PNA is showing its teeth.

Not always the same for New England and the Midwest/plains...but its been something many of are talking about in the NE subforum. Further north and warmer makes sense. I could get rain here...Euro is mostly snow...but I've been saying that my gut says ptype issue is going to be more the concern than whiffing this to the south.

It could whiff south if the timing is right, but this storm has so much wanting to push it north that its hard to ignore even when the models want to try and crush it south.

I agree--the western trough is going to have a lot of influence--and I don't see that small vortex crushing this S unless the 0Z GFS scores a coup and the western trough comes in two weak chunks. Given the amped baro zone--even a "suppressed" solution can result in some pretty extreme frontogenesis and even minor low level cyclonic development resulting in a N lifting frontal zone. A weak first wave is possible--but that is the only way this is weak, suppressed, and S. I am not tossing the small threat for a full blown cyclone--although that threat is diminishing.

LOT

better forecaster, better write up.

GUIDANCE HAS COME INTO BETTER

AGREEMENT ON 00Z RUNS IN HANDLING THIS WEEKEND SYSTEM. AT

THIS TIME...INCREASING SWLY LOW LEVEL FLOW SAT NIGHT-SUNDAY MORNING

SUGGESTS MOSTLY LIQUID ACROSS THE ENTIRE FORECAST AREA.

HOWEVER...THINGS MAY GET COMPLICATED SUNDAY INTO SUNDAY NIGHT AS

BUILDING HIGH PRESSURE OVER SRN CANADA PUSHES AN INCREASINGLY STRONG

BAROCLINIC ZONE SWD ACROSS NRN IL AND NWRN INDIANA BY MID DAY

SUNDAY. THIS WOULD PRODUCE A WINDY...RAW NE FLOW WITH FALLING TEMPS

AND A CHANGE OVER TO SNOW LATE SUNDAY OR SUNDAY EVENING. BIG

QUESTION IS WHETHER OR NOT PRECIP WILL OCCUR IN THE COLDER AIR. GFS

DOES BRING ANOTHER SHORT WAVE THROUGH THE FLOW ON MONDAY WHICH COULD

BRING ACCUMULATING SNOW TO THE AREA. STILL A LOT OF UNCERTAINTY

HERE...BUT SOMETHING TO WATCH.

MERZLOCK

moneyman really screwed the pooch derailing this thread.

Anyways, looks more and more like the initial slug this weekend will be liquid for anyone south of Wisconsin with the question then turning to what if any development occurs with the second piece. The 6z GFS took a good jump north and stronger with action compared to 0z and given climo, i expect more.

I will admit though, I would be VERY pissed if there were two narrow heavy bands of snows verus one large area and then I'm screwed in between them (ala 06z GFS).

And can we keep politics out of the weather threads and in the politics section? Thank you!!!

I fear this may happen unfortunetly

Careful using 850 temps here again. That's one very nasty arctic dome being modeled. Tons of confluence aloft near the Canadian border and a PV lobe supplying the cold. There is going to be more model mayhem with respect to how this is handled. If the vort decides to come out in pieces like most of the modeling is suggesting, this suggests more FZRA/IP is possible than modeled. Also, that super shallow cold air will be something to contend with. We're already seeing the "squashed" or elongated appearance to the SLP as it makes its way east.

Most of the snow is going to be up in WI/Nrn IA and MN, but I'm a little concerned about a band of moderate to heavy ice south of there.

Bow- Don't count on the snow plowing to happen. Maybe one path and they'll call it a day :)

Probably all I'll get in the drive unless we move the cars around. Roads will be fine as salt works wonders in the temps being shown and MKE isn't shy with it.. By 11am after the Blizzard and it snowed until 5 or 6am our city boys & gals had the roads cleared.. Just an incredible job they did.

Looks like a Snow to Rain Scenario for Southern Half of Lower Michigan according to 12Z NAM whistle.gif

It looks more lihe drizzle than rain as the dry slot moves in judging from the radar reflectivity.

I could live with a 3-6" (3" north, 6" south) front end thumping them drizzle/dry slotting to end things.

Of course judging from all that energy being held back the NAM only shows the first of several waves of preicpitation.

There are so many thoughts and maps running through my head, so does anyone have a quick and easy way to recap? It seems there are two different waves of possible snow/sleet/mix, at least on the latest GFS. Is this correct?

My fear now again like a few days ago is we're stuck in no mans land.. First wave or storm is mostly rain and if there is a 2nd low its a whiff south.

12z GFS really cutting.. Maybe would help areas just to the south or east if there is another low to come out.

Archived