• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    happyweatherforyou
    Newest Member
    happyweatherforyou
Feb. 20th - ? Possible Storm

wisconsinwx

We had a dream track in April 2005 that would have brought us 20-36 inches across the area but there was a catch...............it was to late in the year! So it can happen, when it does there always a catch

How can we forget? Watching the radar was brutal. To much green and no white...(sounds like a MSU home game :wub:)

• Replies 983
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not 100% sure if Indianapolis has or has not had a 15"+event. The only event I can think of that may have been flirting with 15" occured in 2005

Indy has had only two 15"+ events in their history. The last being the Jan 1978 blizzard.

Detroit (and St. Louis) are also the only cities with the longest standing biggest snowstorm record, at least in the Midwest.

Indy has to be in the running. Below is their top 5 biggest snowstorms in recorded history. A pathetic list it is...has to be the worst top 5 list of any city along/north of I-70 in the Midwest.

1) 16.1"...2/16-18/1910

2) 15.5"...1/25-27/1978

3) 13.2"...2/27-29/1984

4) 13.0"...12/19-21/1973

5) 12.8"...1/2-4/1996

I agree. Someone said something to me today to effect of they're glad winter's over. I said, "Psssstttt.....It's still February." I hope it dumps a cement mixer load across our area.

That's all I've heard in the past week..."winter's over". Heh, people are truly dumb about weather. Of course I deal with the nut job golfers who swear that it usually hits 60º+ at least 15 times every winter and they're out playing in it. This winter has been a bitter pill for them.

lol, I love the idea of spite snow.

Damn straight. There's also a troll or two on this forum that'd I love to see their early spring hopes dashed as well. :whistle:

Probably would not be like the EURO, although it depends on what happens with that vortex over Hudson Bay beyond 84 hours.

Euro looks suspect with the positioning of that northern stream vortex developing as far S as it does. The mean is not as bullish as the op--and closer to the other global guidance. NAM 0Z did a flip-flop from 18z.

Euro looks suspect with the positioning of that northern stream vortex developing as far S as it does. The mean is not as bullish as the op--and closer to the other global guidance. NAM 0Z did a flip-flop from 18z.

You made an appearance! About time! Overall, which model do you think is the best right now? GFS, GGEM, or Euro?

You made an appearance! About time! Overall, which model do you think is the best right now? GFS, GGEM, or Euro?

I had a mini-vacation to see friends, etc. in MN/ND before heading to Husker-land. I haven't glanced at guidance for 5 days now--so I am still in catchup mode. I will wait for the 0Z stuff to roll in before making judgments since I am so far behind. smile.gif

Here are the SREFS H5 at 87. On average, it looks like the vortex either scoots east enough or is far enough north that these members would not produce EURO like suppression beyond 87 hours.

f87.gif

I was reading the NE thread, and ORH_Will seems to agree with you about the mishandling of the northern stream on the OP EURO.

Here are the SREFS H5 at 87. On average, it looks like the vortex either scoots east enough or is far enough north that these members would not produce EURO like suppression beyond 87 hours.

I was reading the NE thread, and ORH_Will seems to agree with you about the mishandling of the northern stream on the OP EURO.

Considering the input from some of the mets, my 70/30 EURO/GGEM blend might be giving too much credence to the EURO. I won't revise it but I still think the GFS is too far north and I'm going down with that ship. :drunk:

Some level of confluence and northern suppression will exist--no doubt. How much still remains to be clear--and that will make the difference between a large cyclone and a strong frontal wave event with significant banding. One thing is for certain--the baroclinic zone in the low levels is impressive and it will be a hefty event even suppressed since that will aid in horizontal deformation and frontogenesis.

Some level of confluence and northern suppression will exist--no doubt. How much still remains to be clear--and that will make the difference between a large cyclone and a strong frontal wave event with significant banding. One thing is for certain--the baroclinic zone in the low levels is impressive and it will be a hefty event even suppressed since that will aid in horizontal deformation and frontogenesis.

Horizontal deformation occured with the last storm that dumped 20+ in OK and ARK? It looks like even if its not supressed, the west to east movement would still yield a more horizontal band. That's details that will be ironed out later but it indeed looks impressive. What exactly is forcing this vortex south?

Archived