happyweatherforyou
    Newest Member
    happyweatherforyou
February 8-12 model discussion

Rankin5150

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

12z GFS members at day 6, sig shift towards a flatter solution compared to 0z, where the majority were already bringing the storm up the coast at this point.

post-382-0-34625200-1296846367.jpg

Cheez, could you post the Jma 144 hour 850 mb ma. or tell us where the 0c 850 line is? I don't currently have access to it. TIA

http://grib2.com/jma/CONUS_JMA_850_GPHTMPRH_144HR.gif

please allow this.. i have a strong love for the JMA for some reason... probably goes back to my liking of asian girls

The pay maps have some copyright issues attached via "redistribution prohibited." Not a good idea to post them here, even if it is for a couple minutes as the board is more important than a 168 hr JMA map. Through 144 hrs has updated on Earl's model page, and 168 and 192 should be updating on Meteociel here in a bit. Not much to really see given the model runs at 24hr steps, and the action for us is between 144 and 168 hrs. @ 168 it has a 985mb low just outside of the Benchmark, @ 144 hrs a 1008mb low is centered near the mouth of the MS, and based on some rough plotting of the QPF in between (which is never smart), I would estimate it comes off around SAV/CHS and maybe clips the OBX. Likely just north of a preferred FL panhandle track for us Millz, but certainly not an Apps runner.

Well, if the biases of the GFS and Euro are in play, expect a result that's in between the current operational runs. The GFS tends to start suppressing systems south and east in this time period only to adjust back later. Yes, I have seen a couple of ensemble members suppress this system into nothing and towards cuba. The Euro tends to hold back energy so if it were a little faster, there would be less amplification resulting in a less intense and flatter system. Let's see what happens.

The tuesday system set's the stage as Allan said. The models have trended much stronger with that. Some even drop some snow in NC with that now. If that keeps up, it's likely it creates a more favorable Atlantic. The PNA ridge is MASSIVE here on the euro. Close to levels we saw back in 02-03. That really supports a strong SLP.

For our Tennessee and western NC bretheren (and sisters)................this actually has about as good a look as you could hope for at this point. Plentiful cold air to be tapped, gulf low that should have ample moisture, a GFS run which is suppressed south, and a Euro run which held the energy back yet still yielded a BIG midsouth to western Carolinas snow. It may completely change against our favor, but this is about as optimistic as you can be this far out for the areas I have mentioned.

1.09" with 850 below 0 throughout the event.

For our Tennessee and western NC bretheren (and sisters)................this actually has about as good a look as you could hope for at this point. Plentiful cold air to be tapped, gulf low that should have ample moisture, a GFS run which is suppressed south, and a Euro run which held the energy back yet still yielded a BIG midsouth to western Carolinas snow. It may completely change against our favor, but this is about as optimistic as you can be this far out for the areas I have mentioned.

I clearly decided to appear again at the perfect time. WOW.

I clearly decided to appear again at the perfect time. WOW.

Yes, you did. The models have had this storm for a couple of days now and the GFS runs of the past day have painted us a nice snowstorm. As usual, a lot of flopping.

I took a break too. Getting nickled and dimed to death while others hit the jackpot has made this winter tough to follow (even though we have been blessed with above average snow). I know you have done a lot better than us here in the valleys so you probably took a break b/c you had your fill.....a completely different reason than me. lol

Yes, you did. The models have had this storm for a couple of days now and the GFS runs of the past day have painted us a nice snowstorm. As usual, a lot of flopping.

I took a break too. Getting nickled and dimed to death while others hit the jackpot has made this winter tough to follow (even though we have been blessed with above average snow). I know you have done a lot better than us here in the valleys so you probably took a break b/c you had your fill.....a completely different reason than me. lol

Hahaha, well my schedule is actually what forced me away for a bit. Class five days a week, a girlfriend, a job, and other hobbies and interests pile up quickly! Anyway, there is never such a thing as having a fill of snow. Snowman.gif I bought a Subaru Outback in November and installed Michelin Hydroedge tires so I've had a very reliable winter weather vehicle. If I can get around in the weather, I don't have a problem with the weather!

Here is a portion of the AFD from NWS-GSP:

THE MAIN MODEL DIFFERENCE DURING THE WED NIGHT/THU PERIOD OF

INTEREST IS THAT THE GFS/GEFS DEVELOP MORE OF A COASTAL LOW...WITH

VERY COLD THICKNESSES SUPPORTING SNOW ACROSS THE REGION. THE ECM/GEM

SOLUTIONS FAVOR MORE OF AN INLAND TRACK...WITH CORRESPONDINGLY

WARMER PROFILES AND MORE OF A MIX TO RAIN POTENTIAL. IT SHOULD BE

NOTED THAT THE LATEST ECM RUN HAS TRENDED TOWARD THE GFS/GEFS

SOLUTION...AND THIS COULD BE A HARBINGER OF THINGS TO COME AS THE

COASTAL DEVELOPMENT USUALLY WINS OUT. WILL RAMP POPS UP INTO THE

SOLID CHANCE RANGE WED NIGHT THROUGH THU...WITH MAINLY SNOW

MENTIONED IN THE NW HALF...AND RAIN OR SNOW SOUTHEAST. SOME ICY

MIXED PTYPES ARE POSSIBLE...BUT PROFILES ARE TOO UNCERTAIN TO

MENTION THIS FOR NOW.

A REINFORCING SHORTWAVE WILL KEEP THE BROAD ERN CONUS TROUGH IN

PLACE THROUGH FRI. BRIEF NW FLOW MOISTURE MAY LINGER THU NIGHT INTO

EARLY FRI BEFORE DRYING SETS IN.

HPC aftn update...once again, love how they are a 'national' office, but their discussions imply that the world doesn't exist south of the Ohio Valley / Virginia...

12Z DETERMINISTIC MODELS:

THE 12Z/04 GFS HAS BACKED OFF ITS BIG E COAST SNOWSTORM FOR

THU....TAKING A WEAK WAVE ACROSS THE SERN STATES VERY FLAT AND

VERY FAR S...A COMPLETE TURNABOUT FROM ITS 00Z RUN. THE 12Z/04

UKMET AND CANADIAN TRENDED FLATTER WITH THE SYS. NOW...IT IS THE

12Z/04 ECMWF WHICH DEPICTS THE HIGHEST THREAT OF HEAVY SNOW FROM

THE OH VLY ACROSS THE MID ATLANTIC INTO SRN NEW ENG THU. LOTS OF

UNCERTAINTY. A CHANGE UPSTREAM IN THE NEW ECMWF RUN DAY 6 IN THE

ERN PACIFIC...IF CORRECT...COULD IMPACT THE DOWNSTREAM SYS OVER

THE ERN STATES. A MUCH DEEPER THAN CONTINUITY PACIFIC SHORTWAVE

ALONG 140W WILL HELP KEEP THE DOWNSTREAM PATTERN MORE PROGRESSIVE

THAN EARLIER ECMWF RUNS WITH COLDER THICKNESSES THRU THE COASTAL