• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    happyweatherforyou
    Newest Member
    happyweatherforyou
February 8-12 model discussion

Rankin5150

With a MECS/HECS quite often. For your run of the mill snowstorm, not so much. I strongly feel that the models are not even close at this point to depicting the ultimate final outcome. Only 20+ more GFS runs to go.

One drink for each run and I won't care what the weather is next week! drunk.gif

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

definitley be fun to watch and track, might be our last good potential.

I wouldn't say yet. Usually I go by trends, and its still too early to get a trend really. The stronger the s/w is probably the more inland and n/w it tracks. The GFS is only a moderate wave and doesn't buckle the flow much, hence just a southern slider that rounds the long wave trough.

It is no accident that the 12z gfs' very weak Miller A produces a major Atl-Ahn snowstorm (~3 1/2"). If one were to look back at past major snows for that area, they would find that the lows were often quite weak. If I were anyone in the Atl-Ahn corridor and wanted the best potential for major snow there, the 12z gfs illustrates very well that something like it would be about the best case scenario. So, let's hope that the 12z comes close to verifying , which would make this already great winter atruly epic one.

There are some noticeable differences on the 12z euro vs the 0z run. It now produces a more organized low that moves through western tn into the ohio valley at 78 hours vs the 0z run which had it weaker with a weak secondary off the low off the ga coast. The preceding trough ahead of our system is sharper than the 0z run

edited.

There are some noticeable differences on the 12z euro vs the 0z run. It now produces a more organized low that moves through western tn into the ohio valley at 78 hours vs the 0z run which had it weaker with a weak secondary off the low off the ga coast. The preceding trough ahead of our system is sharper than the 0z run

edited.

That sounds like it might be keying on the first system being stronger... which is a great sign, because that will allow more cold air after it amplifies.

Theres no doubt the Euro is phasing the Lakes s/w and the Tenn. Valley system into a strong storm in the East. At 96 hours its bombing off the Northeast and cold Arctic air is splling into the central and eastern states in its wake. The western system looks poised to round the southern Rockies.

Theres no doubt the Euro is phasing the Lakes s/w and the Tenn. Valley system into a strong storm in the East. At 96 hours its bombing off the Northeast and cold Arctic air is splling into the central and eastern states in its wake. The western system looks poised to round the southern Rockies.

That northeastern low goes from around 1000mb on the 0z run to 960 something on this run lol

It's too bad the GFS is so out to lunch because it's a hell of an event. There's 11" at BHM on Bufkit.

With qpf close to 0.60", BHM would be looking at a whopper of a storm. With bufkit giving 11", this tells me that Bufkit Is assuming ratios nearing 20:1. With 850's of ~-2 to -3c, that would seem to be a bit overdone imo. Regardless, we're still looking at a beautiful/historic 6" even at 10:1 ratios! Of course, odds are this run won't come close to verifying since it is still 6 days out. However, we can always hope!

That northeastern low goes from around 1000mb on the 0z run to 960 something on this run lol

it certainly reverted back. Its down to 960 something just north of Maine and Arctic air is covering most of the country from I-20 north, with overrunning set to begin at 108 or just after. The southern Rockies system looks strong. Way stronger than GFS.

it certainly reverted back. Its down to 960 something just north of Maine and Arctic air is covering most of the country from I-20 north, with overrunning set to begin at 108 or just after. The southern Rockies system looks strong. Way stronger than GFS.

Indeed, which might cause the same end result..despite the huge differences at the surface and aloft prior.

Who knows how the euro will end up through 126, it looks like it could bring the cold version of the storm back.

But here is what to take away, just massive changes in Canada in this run vs the 00z run, and also big changes in the 12z GFS vs the 00z GFS.

As I have been saying, there is still alot of uncertainty and any definitive stance this far out is on shaky ground. Untill we see several cycles of consistent solutions take them with caution.

The Euro is taking its time with the southwest system. The strong eastern Canada storm is slow as well and the zero line runs just north of 20, from CAE to northern Tx. at 120.

Im assuming we want the southwest system to come out as quickly as possible?

the pressure on the eastern Canada vortex is about 952, which is close to what it had 2 days ago. The sw system is strong looking and may get too strong and run inland, but we'll see if the Eastern Can. vortex acts like a supressor. THe Euro looks a little too slow with the western system.

the pressure on the eastern Canada vortex is about 952, which is close to what it had 2 days ago. The sw system is strong looking and may get too strong and run inland, but we'll see if the Eastern Can. vortex acts like a supressor. THe Euro looks a little too slow with the western system.

Seems like it might be holding the s/w back which could be just it's bias showing.

A near miss for north ga...0c runs through the extreme northern portion of the state. Looks like a good run for tn and nc. Looks like a wet system too.

at 150, low is near columbus. Heavy snow over northern half of nc, especially western. Over half inch liquid. All rain in ga.

Archived