• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Harmonie
    Newest Member
    Harmonie
February 8-12 model discussion

Rankin5150

this storm next week will be gulf coast up eastern seaboard, the strong cold air will keep this storm south is what i'm seeing.

i respectfully disagree in that I have seen many many storms simply push air masses around. This track can be from the gulf/southern plains up into Kentucky or gulf to carolinas and anywhere in between at this point. It's all about the 500 level and watching to see how far west this s/w comes in. Further west into America, further west out of the gulf - simple physics. IMHO

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yep march of 1993 predicted 6 to 8 inches of snow for wnc area just that friday morning and that evening they said 2-3 feet with blizzard conditiions and man it was a blizzard i'll never forget with 2 1/2 feet of snow

That's not the whole story. They were aware that something was going to happen, but they had no idea of the degree that it happened. Accumulation forecasts about 24-48 hrs before the event were severely underdone.

Case in point: Meridian, MS (where I was living at the time) had only a forecast of a dusting of snow less than 12 hours from the event. I remember the transition from Winter Weather Advisory to Winter Storm Warning to Heavy Snow Warning as the snow was falling over the course of just a few hours.

BHX hadn't forecasted the 17" they got either. There are videos on Youtube where James Spann was very surprised at how much snow was actually going to fall at the last minute. They knew there was going to be some snow, but they certainly didn't forecast over a foot with near blizzard conditions and thunder 24 hours before the event.

That's not the whole story. They were aware that something was going to happen, but they had no idea of the degree that it happened. Accumulation forecasts about 24-48 hrs before the event were severely underdone.

Case in point: Meridian, MS (where I was living at the time) had only a forecast of a dusting of snow less than 12 hours from the event. I remember the transition from Winter Weather Advisory to Winter Storm Warning to Heavy Snow Warning as the snow was falling over the course of just a few hours.

BHX hadn't forecasted the 17" they got either. There are videos on Youtube where James Spann was very surprised at how much snow was actually going to fall at the last minute. They knew there was going to be some snow, but they certainly didn't forecast over a foot with near blizzard conditions and thunder 24 hours before the event.

Agree and disagree - agree that the explosive deepening caused the low to be further west, putting you in the heavy snow for that storm and that it was a surprise with how much ended up falling, but disagree in that the storm was remarkably well forecast from 5 days out. Models were showing a BOMB and largely stuck with it all the way to game time. You benefited on the heavy snow part, while people in the carolinas caught the rain instead of heavy snow.

just my recollection though.

i respectfully disagree in that I have seen many many storms simply push air masses around. This track can be from the gulf/southern plains up into Kentucky or gulf to carolinas and anywhere in between at this point. It's all about the 500 level and watching to see how far west this s/w comes in. Further west into America, further west out of the gulf - simple physics. IMHO

If I were you, I would really like where I'm sitting on this one! You guys have been sideswiped enough, but this might be your storm.

Not that I would mind a south and east trend :whistle:

If I were you, I would really like where I'm sitting on this one! You guys have been sideswiped enough, but this might be your storm.

Not that I would mind a south and east trend :whistle:

Sad thing is, we could probably both use a southeast trend this far out........ I hope it's our storm. It's sad to say it's been a frustrating winter having snow on the ground a lot and cold temps, but it's just been the nickle and dimers. It's been 15 years since a good snow here in KTRI - way too long.

Looks like that energy is coming in further west on the 12z @99

The 12z GFS is much better for snow in general in the southeast. The storm is weaker sure, but the track is better. I look forward to the other guidance, as I said in my column this morning it is just too early to write this one off yet, despite the warmer runs yesterday and overnight.

http://www.examiner.com/weather-in-raleigh/sleet-changes-to-rain-today-another-storm-for-next-week

Had a nice slushy sleet accumulation this morning for a while at my house.

Almost a perfect track for the SE as a whole, but it lacks continuity with previous runs, 12 and 0z for example are way off at H5 with this vort, but a definite step in the right direction. We do not need, or really want a <1000mb low with this setup as the track would likely be inland given the interaction of the streams, as seen on previous GFS runs and the EC. Yesterday was a step in the wrong direction, today will hopefully be one in the right, and so on... This solution is not totally out to lunch, as a couple of the individual members have been showing a weak southern slider, just did not expect to see it show up on the op in such an extreme considering what happened with the 0z runs.

Folks,

The 12z gfs gives Atl-Ahn a major snowfall! It gives them ~3-4". Stay tuned, folks! I'm certainly not going to get my hopes up much on this run, especially because the event would still be six days out. However, at least we know that climo is on our side.

The 12z GFS is much better for snow in general in the southeast. The storm is weaker sure, but the track is better. I look forward to the other guidance, as I said in my column this morning it is just too early to write this one off yet, despite the warmer runs yesterday and overnight.

http://www.examiner.com/weather-in-raleigh/sleet-changes-to-rain-today-another-storm-for-next-week

Had a nice slushy sleet accumulation this morning for a while at my house.

Yep always better to be cold enough then right on the edge! Thanks for the update!

This was a much improved look on the 12z GFS, with better blocking flow over the Great Lakes on the south side of the polar vortex over Hudson Bay, probably attributed to luck as much as anything with the timing of the shortwaves moving through that area...nevertheless, this is the type of favorable timing that will have to occur to make this work. Also, we will probably have to live with a weaker storm like shown on the GFS in order to keep it cold enough for a lot of us.

This was a much improved look on the 12z GFS, with better blocking flow over the Great Lakes on the south side of the polar vortex over Hudson Bay, probably attributed to luck as much as anything with the timing of the shortwaves moving through that area...nevertheless, this is the type of favorable timing that will have to occur to make this work. Also, we will probably have to live with a weaker storm like shown on the GFS in order to keep it cold enough for a lot of us.

Yep that is what I'm thinking, we will have to sacrifice the higher QPF for colder temperatures. I'll be perfectly happy with a nice 3 -5 inch snow storm though.

Archived