• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    BlueSkyGA
    Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA
Observations Jan 31- Feb 2nd

snownut

No, Jeb, I can't. I haven't been out that way. I think areas around Leesburg actually got more snow than we did, but I don't know how their's has held on. We got lucky over here. First we had snow on Friday, about an inch. Then no sun at all on Sat/Sun. Then a little topper of sleet/snow Monday night, then last night just as the rain started, the temp went down to about 31 and instead of a melting rain last night, we got a layer of ice on everything. I'd say a few miles meant everything. I know this morning, by the time I got to downtown Winchester, there was no ice at all there, yet here about 7 miles north, there was a layer on everything.

Thanks - I hope you get lots of snow even if I get rain and mild locally. I'll enjoy your snow through the posts on this boardthumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Also I hope you keep all the snow you already have.Snowman.gifthumbsupsmileyanim.gifSnowman.gifthumbsupsmileyanim.gifSnowman.gifthumbsupsmileyanim.gifSnowman.gif

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What's up with the sudden onset of fierce wind gusts up this way? No idea on speeds, but trees are whipping around like I've rarely seen.

You've "rarely" seen 30-40mph wind gusts? We seem to get them at least a bunch of times a year not counting severe thunderstorms.

Wind is caused by the fropa.

In case you guys hadn't ventured over to the Central/Western thread on the storm.

http://www.chicagotr...,0,347680.story

And those Chicagoans claim to know how to deal with snow. whistle.gif

But, no, seriously, when are people going to learn? I realize for some being on the roads is unavoidable, but I'd bet at least 40% (conservatively) of those people could have been home at the time. Same with our fiasco last week. I realize people have jobs and can't always get off/don't want to take off in this economy, but I'm sure there are equally as many who could be home but think they can "handle it" and that it "won't be a big deal."

Very surprised at the snow remaining as of 520pm Heavy wet snow packed down by three quarters of an inch of cold 32 degree rain overnight on top of a cold ground held up better than I could ever have imagined.

This morning at 10am with clouds and 38 degrees, we had about 80 percent areal coverage.

After a day of sun and 63 degree weather - Down to about 30 percent areal coverage. Snow has managed to hold on in all the usual places - north of houses, even east and west sides of hills. The north side of my house has 3 inches of snow left. My front yard faces east. It still has an inch of snow on the north part.

My shoveled snow piles have lost half their height - I am shocked - I thought they would all be gone. Plowed piles in the subdivision lost about 20 percent of their height.

Snow can still be generally seen in the neighborhood. I am sure the shopping centers and Potomac Mills still has good plowed piles left.

Altogether very surprising that this much snow should survive a 63 degree torch with full on sunshine after a three quarter inch rainer, although the rain fell at night at 32 degrees. The ground is cold and the snow was heavy wet snow to begin with.

Speculation about places like central Maryland where they got socked in with over a foot of heavy wet snow a week ago - They likely still have at least 5 inches of snow with near 100 percent areal coverage - If I got a look at those neighborhoods right now my jaw would be resting on the ground in total awe.

Central Park probably still is socked in deep impenetrable snowpack.

Leesburg, North RT 28 near Dulles, RT 7 and RT 9 on into Jefferson County West Virginia into Mannings W VA probably still have 2-4 inches snowpack with near 100 percent areal coverage due to overall colder temps with this storm, icing and very cold rain last night then only 30s today with very early onset of strong CAA (compared to tropical DCA and N VA).

Davis W VA has more snow than Chicago IL

All in all a major surprize given all the rain here, NO icing at all, and low 60s maxima with abundant springlike sunshine nuked away much of our areal snow coverage but left us a surprising amount.

Now the sun is setting and CAA is underway - we are finally falling thru the 40s toward lows in the low 20s.

Thank goodness!!!! Everything has a good chance to freeze.

Jeb,

We still have essentially 100 percent snow coverage still in Bethesda with about three inches on the ground, I'd imagine it to be similar in the places you mentioned.

Thanks - I hope you get lots of snow even if I get rain and mild locally. I'll enjoy your snow through the posts on this boardthumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Also I hope you keep all the snow you already have.Snowman.gifthumbsupsmileyanim.gifSnowman.gifthumbsupsmileyanim.gifSnowman.gifthumbsupsmileyanim.gifSnowman.gif

Jeb, that's a nice post. I don't know whether I'll get any snow this weekend or not, but I haven't given up. I hope we all get some. I'm still holding out hope that Feb brings some good winter weather and also the first two weeks of March. When March 15 hits, I hope it warms and my grass starts growing.

Still a decent snowpack out here. Maybe 4-5 inches. Hope to see a little more this weekend. How disgusting that we had to miss out on one of the biggest storms in history. What a fitting storm for this horrid winter.

You know, for the bad rap that this storm got, at least in parts of the county, there was no precip that wasn't technically frozen. Mon night was sleet and snow, last night it dropped just below freezing enough to stay freezing rain until it stopped raining. It was really pretty this morning. Yeah we missed out, but at least it wasn't a warm rain that washed away all of the snow.

: ) I'm all about the black ice, but that's only in calm wind/high humidity situations where the roads all look wet. I guess tonight is just plain patches of visible ice that are lying across otherwise dry roads.

yeah i suppose if we're sticking to strict definitions. tho i walked across a road that was not visibly icy or even wet and i slipped.

Must be a tornado in the vicinity.

You've "rarely" seen 30-40mph wind gusts? We seem to get them at least a bunch of times a year not counting severe thunderstorms.

Wind is caused by the fropa.

Wow, the jerk factor really ratchets up around here when things don't go the way the weenies want. It was a general observation (this being an obs thread) about the effect the wind was having on trees I've observed 5 days a week for 10+ years, coupled with no forecast indication (that I saw at least) of some pretty severe gusts--which I strongly suspect were at times a fair bit higher than 30-40 mph.

At the risk of more pathetic and worthless feedback--the roads in northern Harford are quite hazardous in places this evening--random large patches of ice topped with a thin sheet of liquid water.

Why was there no wind advisory tonight?! The metal furnature flew off my deck and blew about 100ft to the corner of the neighbors azailia bushes. Gust reached 46mph on the somewhat sheltered vantage pro 2, this around 11PM.

Trees were really bending. Also large chunks/blocks of snow fly off the roof in the higher gusts.

Archived