Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
Epic winter signal continues to beam, part IV

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This does have the feel of a storm where qpf ramps up as we get closer....that's just a lot of moisture from gulf and atlantic being thrown over our cold. Those and the coastal bombs tend to do that. On Jan 12 I think I was supposed to be 1-1.25 and got 1.51 I think (according to Brian)...This could be another overperformer. It seems models will signal that in the days leading up, then back off a bit but it ends up coming in higher as long as the basic setup doesn't change.

You missed it--it was there.

Would this be mostly rain in coastal CT? Might give an inkling of what the spring might be like if we have a fast melt.

Coastal CT gets a ton of freezing rain on the NAM run. Only turns to rain near the end for a relatively brief time.

Still … this is an attenuating system do to the disturbance(s) moving through a strong confluence; so it should be weakening the mechanics/dynamical interaction in the whole field. I am a little concerned how/where the models are generating all this QPF, locally.

I remember a couple years ago there was a huge middle Plains blizzard with 25-30” routine totals in 50+kt winds in western Kansas and Nebraska, and a deep associated low, and it was all progged to move E while weakening through a confluence in the OV ...and straight off the MA. It barely snowed an inch in DCA. The whole time leading up to it I was thinking it would be interesting to watch how all that power could be dismantled but guess what … part of me doubting that could happen. Yet, it was remarkable exercise in wave interference and complete decomposition. I tell you what, should we wind up with 4" tomorrow and say only 8 regionally the next, I wouldn't be shocked, nor disappointed. This winter really ...if it ended after this/these immediate two events and lurched into spring, I would still have to give this season an A on the whole. Spectacular 45 days...

Anyway, it doesn’t mean a death sentence for this storm(s) – that’s not what I am saying. Just that “I” am a little puzzled by this Meteorologically. There may be something that sticks out in the discrete sigma levels/analysis that shows that this can over-perform over the general synoptic appeal of zipping what is really only a moderate intensity mid-level disturbance through a mighty confluence.

Either way ... I am impressed by these individual snowfall products. Simply hard not to rock over in one's chair at the thought of a 15-30" high QPF density snow pack, then staring down the rifle with this thing scheduled? NWS put out specials regarding roof collapses - bravo!

Matt mother f'er really wants PVD to sleet it seems..even though the NAM keeps all of interior SNe all snow from belly to belly

Maybe we're looking at two different models :lol: At the surface it's a bit colder, but that's negated by the fact that it's warmer in the mid-levels. Definitely sleet up to you, zr S CT.

The fact that you and I have agreed on this from day 1 should probably open some eyes lol

The thing is in the end it's playing out like every other storm in terms of the mixing profile. The Cape/my area does okay on system one, 3-6" we probably get a couple of inches in the second one too. Same old same old.

It could still trend colder...there's signs to me even on the 12z NAM that the cold air wants to bleed down but that'll be a situation to resolve in the coming days.

I keep looking into IL IN OH and am seeing the same rather brisk cooling trend run to run. I think that will carry here eventually as the entire system is blunted a little in the northward progression before it hooks east.

EDIT BTW the NAM 1000-700 profile is colder/same as 6z...red flag IMO..colder solutions are winning out. we usually see a tick back on the main runs, 12z is almost/is as cold here, colder closer ot the event out west.

Sam do you mind putting that into context? i don't understand how to interpret those numbers. Thanks. What are EEN's numbers? You look to be in a great spot, possibly jackpot.

4 = 4" to <6"

8 = >8"

So that's 4" to <6" + >16"

Here's a site for decoding MEX messages: http://www.nws.noaa.gov/tdl/synop/mexcard.php

MEX spits out 4/6/4 for EEN... 8" to <12" + 6" to <8"

4 = 4" to <6"

8 = >8"

So that's 4" to <6" + >16"

Here's a site for decoding MEX messages: http://www.nws.noaa....nop/mexcard.php

MEX spits out 4/6/4 for EEN... 8" to <12" + 6" to <8"

Thanks

So 20+ for me and 16+ for you.

I'd think you would do better than me though in this setup especially with confluence to the ne (kinda what Tip was saying)...

Archived