Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
Epic winter signal continues to beam, part IV

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah if places start or go quickly to ZR it's going to be a problem. If we are half PL and half ZR it won't be that big of an impact I don't think.

Significant accumulating snow on Wednesday in CT seems unlikely for most places other than along the CT border.

those in-between deals are such a pain because of reality/perception issues.

UPTON has issued their updated snow forecasts, seems kinda high since we have more chance of FRZ than anything else from what I have read here. They are usually conservative with their amounts so seeing a chance of 8" (while oddly depressing to me) seems high before end of Wednesday along with ice.

Are we still thinking it will be plain rain at the coast and how far inland would that rain be?

post-2461-0-36213700-1296507923.png

UPTON has issued their updated snow forecasts, seems kinda high since we have more chance of FRZ than anything else from what I have read here. They are usually conservative with their amounts so seeing a chance of 8" (while oddly depressing to me) seems high before end of Wednesday along with ice.

Are we still thinking it will be plain rain at the coast and how far inland would that rain be?

Upton just dramatically reduced its snow totals for SE CT and Suffolk County.

Looking around at forecasts, there are some big numbers being floated around. BOX's map, ALY's 15-30" warning, even BTV seems excessively high for up here.

On the models it does look like there is a limitation as far as how much snow can possibly fall (duh) but when this system passes us in New England it looks to be zipping right along. There's really only a 6 to maybe 9 hour (at the most) period of moderate to heavy snow on Wednesday for all involved... it is going to need to rip at like 2"/hr for at least some portion of that time in order to get to some of these higher forecast numbers.

It is still a SWFE and while a tremendous amount of moisture will fall out of the sky thanks to strong isentropic lift, some of these forecasts would lead you to believe we have a stalled coastal low.

I still like the lower end of the ranges forecast by the NWS offices, even up here. Snow growth should deteriorate, too, as the -12C to -18C dendritic layer lifts thanks to warming at H7-H75.

Amazingly complex, yet interesting storm to try and forecast.

I agree, its going to take everything going perfectly to get 20" amounts. Nevermind 30" (from ALY)...I'm sure there will be a little extra moisture wrung out in the terrain favored areas, but the duration of the Wednesday snowfall bothers me for huge amounts. 12/16/07 was basically a 6-8 hour snow burst which is kind of what this upcoming Wednesday portion looks like now...and the max amounts in that were like a foot tops...and snow growth was amazing. If someone gets that plus 6" on Tuesday, then 18" is the storm total...that's under optimum conditions.

I'm sure we'll see some higher jackpots where someone gets under perfect bands and the nozzle of the fire hose...but I think the lower end will be the norm and those higher amounts will be the exception.

The only caveat is if this lingers longer than models show. There is potential for like 3-5" of fluff on Wed night...but that's not a guarantee.

just read box 354 update, wish they would define what parts of RI/SE mass they think change to rain, would it be just the coast or more inland into PVD?

Im guessing based off their last map that the coast areas that see less than 8 inches is where the rain would be Washington County and points east to the coast and cape. kindly let me know if im wrong on that.

For us here in CT at least alot is going to be determined too on how much snowfall accumulations we receive with the first part of the storm (I'm assuming that map is including both parts of the storm). If we can see a good 3-6'' from the first wave then spots along the coast certainly have a shot to pick up another inch or two before the changeover transitions.

For us here in CT at least alot is going to be determined too on how much snowfall accumulations we receive with the first part of the storm (I'm assuming that map is including both parts of the storm). If we can see a good 3-6'' from the first wave then spots along the coast certainly have a shot to pick up another inch or two before the changeover transitions.

Thanks! I should have said in SW area of CT it seems higher than what from what I was expecting given the warming of the trends. They have lowered it from the 4 am update (only about 2" in some parts of sw/s ct and, but upped them just over the border and western area....

I agree, its going to take everything going perfectly to get 20" amounts. Nevermind 30" (from ALY)...I'm sure there will be a little extra moisture wrung out in the terrain favored areas, but the duration of the Wednesday snowfall bothers me for huge amounts. 12/16/07 was basically a 6-8 hour snow burst which is kind of what this upcoming Wednesday portion looks like now...and the max amounts in that were like a foot tops...and snow growth was amazing. If someone gets that plus 6" on Tuesday, then 18" is the storm total...that's under optimum conditions.

I'm sure we'll see some higher jackpots where someone gets under perfect bands and the nozzle of the fire hose...but I think the lower end will be the norm and those higher amounts will be the exception.

The only caveat is if this lingers longer than models show. There is potential for like 3-5" of fluff on Wed night...but that's not a guarantee.

I believe their comments reflected a 'bonus' Wedn night.

Thanks! I should have said in SW area of CT it seems higher than what from what I was expecting given the warming of the trends. They have lowered it from the 4 am update (only about 2" in some parts of sw/s ct and, but upped them just over the border and western area....

I haven't looked at any of the offices snowfall maps yet...I just looked at BOX's now but if they did drop totals than that possible means they could be expecting less from round 1 and a faster changeover in round 2.

This is going to be real complex for us here in CT, although I think for the shoreline it's a much "easier" forecast...easier in the sense that you guys will probably get in the 3-6'' range.

Up this way though we have to worry about 1) How much snowfall occurs before the changeover or mix and 2) Do you see lots of ZR or more in the way of IP? These are major questions.

I'm thinking 4-6" of fluff tmw and 8-12" thum from the swfe on Wed for a grand total of 12-18" imby.

just read box 354 update, wish they would define what parts of RI/SE mass they think change to rain, would it be just the coast or more inland into PVD?

They didn't say because they don't know. No one knows where that line will be. I think we have to wait until tomorrow to know what will happen on Wednesday.

Im guessing based off their last map that the coast areas that see less than 8 inches is where the rain would be Washington County and points east to the coast and cape. kindly let me know if im wrong on that.

That text doesn't appear to be fully updated to me yet.

Archived