Monty
Epic winter signal continues to beam, part IV

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ALY's outlook for western Massachusetts:

* ACCUMULATIONS: SNOW ACCUMULATIONS ON TUESDAY 2 TO 6

INCHES...FOLLOWED BY LITTLE SNOW ACCUMULATION TUESDAY EVENING...

AND ANOTHER 2 TO 4 INCHES LATE TUESDAY NIGHT. SNOW ACCUMULATIONS

ON WEDNESDAY ARE EXPECTED TO BE 10 TO 16 INCHES WITH AN

ADDITIONAL 1 TO 4 INCHES WEDNESDAY NIGHT. TOTAL SNOWFALL

ACCUMULATIONS WILL GENERALLY RANGE FROM 15 TO 30 INCHES.

I've noticed in the past that ALY has no problem (as Rev says) grabbing balls and slamming them against the wall.

I think the ALB area gets hit hard on the first event and those areas of the Taconics/Berkshires/Southern Greens just east of Albany could very well come in with the jackpot.

There's some great SW flow deformation over that area as the warm air collides with the arctic air.

* LOCATIONS: SOUTHEAST CATSKILLS...MID HUDSON VALLEY AND

NORTHWESTERN CONNECTICUT.

* HAZARDS: HEAVY SNOW...SLEET AND FREEZING RAIN.

* ACCUMULATIONS: SNOW ACCUMULATIONS ON TUESDAY 4 TO 8

AND ANOTHER 2 TO 6 INCHES LATE TUESDAY NIGHT. SNOW AND SLEET

ACCUMULATIONS ON WEDNESDAY ARE EXPECTED TO BE 2 TO 6 INCHES WITH

A TENTH TO A THIRD OF AN INCH OF ICE...FOLLOWED BY AN ADDITIONAL

INCH OF SNOW WEDNESDAY NIGHT. TOTAL SNOWFALL ACCUMULATIONS WILL

GENERALLY RANGE FROM 8 TO 16 WITH ISOLATED AMOUNTS UP TO 20

INCHES IN THE SOUTHEAST CATSKILLS.

But it's way warmer than even the 12z GFS for Tuesday event 1.

We'll see how it plays out, closer to the storm it's been getting colder but that's west/nw of the low which we'll never be until it's over..so who knows. thermal profiles have been a joke in all models on the border of snow/non snow all winter, no reason to think they're going to nail it now this far out.

Just ask BOX how much fun they've had in SE MA/South coast onto Cape Cod with the thermal olympics that have gone on in modeling. Thermals will jump around more than a Romanian gymnast each run.

They've dramatically over-forecast for me EVERY event this winter and I've barely had 30 inches total IMBY.

I view the BOX map as being the at the upper edge of the range of plausibility....."if everything breaks right"......I'm almost positive that back will be trimmed back a few inches across the board.

I see no reason to deviate from my original thinking as the pike being the focus of a rather large SF gradient.

ALY's outlook for western Massachusetts:

* ACCUMULATIONS: SNOW ACCUMULATIONS ON TUESDAY 2 TO 6

AND ANOTHER 2 TO 4 INCHES LATE TUESDAY NIGHT. SNOW ACCUMULATIONS

ON WEDNESDAY ARE EXPECTED TO BE 10 TO 16 INCHES WITH AN

ADDITIONAL 1 TO 4 INCHES WEDNESDAY NIGHT. TOTAL SNOWFALL

ACCUMULATIONS WILL GENERALLY RANGE FROM 15 TO 30 INCHES.

whats up with the 4 rounds of snow?

They've dramatically over-forecast for me EVERY event this winter and I've barely had 30 inches total IMBY.

And IMO they've played somewhat conservative based on a preponderance of model data each time. That's my point...most of these guys have been so far north of the line they didn't notice how horrific forecast thermal profiles have been from the euro to the nam etc.

yeah definitely model noise...of course the trick is determining where it actually ends up. not such a big deal for MBY obviously but it's a tough battle for those on the line.

Yeah, I'm probably one of them. I have a ton of respect for that high north of Maine. It's that dam layer from 800mb to 750mb that is causing the issues. I haven't really changed my thoughts since yesterday. Still thinking I mix with sleet towards the end. Hoping an additional few inches of fluff Wednesday night. I'd hang myself if I lived and died by each model run, but of course we watch them and look for trends. I honestly have a feeling it may come down to a Nowcast issue for some, unless the models trend much colder or warmer. I have visions of 12/16/07 in my head.

BTW, check out the 850 jet tomorrow. Very swfe like. You go from 55kts to 15kts in about 10 miles. Very strong convergence signal. Same on Wednesday.

Yeah, I'm probably one of them. I have a ton of respect for that high north of Maine. It's that dam layer from 800mb to 750mb that is causing the issues. I haven't really changed my thoughts since yesterday. Still thinking I mix with sleet towards the end. Hoping an additional few inches of fluff Wednesday night. I'd hang myself if I lived and died by each model run, but of course we watch them and look for trends. I honestly have a feeling it may come down to a Nowcast issue for some, unless the models trend much colder or warmer. I have visions of 12/16/07 in my head.

BTW, check out the 850 jet tomorrow. Very swfe like. You go from 55kts to 15kts in about 10 miles. Very strong convergence signal. Same on Wednesday.

It's a Tip special.

By the way good call on the wrapped up low, I recall a few days back many were disagreeing with you about that, and you pointed out the arctic air and baroclinic zone for this to act upon. Great call.

thanks Libations

no victories yet though

Will and Scott's and Debbie's (and others) analysis regarding climo and usual outcomes in this type of event are the way to go from here......this is where new England weather gets way way more complicated than any other region IMO.

Archived