Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
Epic winter signal continues to beam, part IV

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah but it's degrees warmer even on storm 1/phase 1 than the others now, which I don't think anyone here was proclaiming would be the outcome.

At least not that I read. If it's right mixing issues for many even Tuesday.

Well at least here I had less snow south of HFD and more north for round 1 based on the models.

I always feel like we see the NAM go way cold and then come around way warm (and closer to reality).

I'm shocked the super cold NAM is now trending warmer. Happens every time in a SWFE

Wow, up here we now get into this first event on the NAM.

However, I said it last night and I'll say it again... its the 18z NAM, toss it. The NAM has been horrific with this so far. GFS has been pretty steady overall, I wouldn't expect much change at 18z from the steady Goofus.

It's getting ugly.

The first event might be pretty good though...having ti a bit warmer might be better for squeezing more snow out of it.

But I don't think this is anything other than some model correction. NAM was so cold at 12z that it wants to warm up at 18z...it might over shoot its landing a bit. Look at the trends since Saturday....there's been no trend basically. It got colder, then we warmed a bit Sat night, then we cooled down again last night, and now we've seen slight warmer solutions today sans NAM at 12z.

I think this is going to ultimately end up where many of us thought it might...snowier for piek northward with perhaps a bit of sleet taint...more sleet and perhaps some icing issues south of that. But obviously we still have a ways to go. I'm mostly writing this to those people who have been high fiving or hanging themselves over every little ebb and flow of the models.

NAM has been a total debacle with this event , starting yesterday.

ironically, this rapid cyclogenesis loop is exactly what it was deisgned for lol

By the way good call on the wrapped up low, I recall a few days back many were disagreeing with you about that, and you pointed out the arctic air and baroclinic zone for this to act upon. Great call.

The first event might be pretty good though...having ti a bit warmer might be better for squeezing more snow out of it.

But I don't think this is anything other than some model correction. NAM was so cold at 12z that it wants to warm up at 18z...it might over shoot its landing a bit. Look at the trends since Saturday....there's been no trend basically. It got colder, then we warmed a bit Sat night, then we cooled down again last night, and now we've seen slight warmer solutions today sans NAM at 12z.

I think this is going to ultimately end up where many of us thought it might...snowier for piek northward with perhaps a bit of sleet taint...more sleet and perhaps some icing issues south of that. But obviously we still have a ways to go. I'm mostly writing this to those people who have been high fiving or hanging themselves over every little ebb and flow of the models.

It's when we learn to high five the noose that we find peace.

they have a really big challenge ahead of them covering such a big area. i could see some spots on their accumulation map that are in the 10 to 15 zone coming in with half that....but who knows where.

Reading between your cryptic lines translation is

"Kev even though they have you in the 10-15 inch range, i think you'll only see half of that"

Check out the dynamic cooling at 18z Wednesday.

Agree with the above. Pretty much how I feel as of now. Any 10 mile bump north and south is all noise if you ask me. It may in fact come down to 12/16/07 nowcasting ..lol.

Well at least here I had less snow south of HFD and more north for round 1 based on the models.

I always feel like we see the NAM go way cold and then come around way warm (and closer to reality).

But it's way warmer than even the 12z GFS for Tuesday event 1.

We'll see how it plays out, closer to the storm it's been getting colder but that's west/nw of the low which we'll never be until it's over..so who knows. thermal profiles have been a joke in all models on the border of snow/non snow all winter, no reason to think they're going to nail it now this far out.

Just ask BOX how much fun they've had in SE MA/South coast onto Cape Cod with the thermal olympics that have gone on in modeling. Thermals will jump around more than a Romanian gymnast each run.

Check out the dynamic cooling at 18z Wednesday.

Agree with the above. Pretty much how I feel as of now. Any 10 mile bump north and south is all noise if you ask me. It may in fact come down to 12/16/07 nowcasting ..lol.

yeah definitely model noise...of course the trick is determining where it actually ends up. not such a big deal for MBY obviously but it's a tough battle for those on the line.

ALY's outlook for western Massachusetts:

* ACCUMULATIONS: SNOW ACCUMULATIONS ON TUESDAY 2 TO 6

INCHES...FOLLOWED BY LITTLE SNOW ACCUMULATION TUESDAY EVENING...

AND ANOTHER 2 TO 4 INCHES LATE TUESDAY NIGHT. SNOW ACCUMULATIONS

ON WEDNESDAY ARE EXPECTED TO BE 10 TO 16 INCHES WITH AN

ADDITIONAL 1 TO 4 INCHES WEDNESDAY NIGHT. TOTAL SNOWFALL

ACCUMULATIONS WILL GENERALLY RANGE FROM 15 TO 30 INCHES.

la epic for Pete :thumbsup:

Quite the range.

Archived