Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
Epic winter signal continues to beam, part IV

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's interesting to note the role reversal with respects to the GFS and the NAM with regards to this event and the 1/18 wintry mix event. The day prior the 1/18 event I seem to recall the NAM being more bullish on the mid-level warming while the GFS was implying a colder and snowier solution. While it was a bit colder than modeled in the low-levels during that event, the NAM had a better handle on the mid-level thermal profile in that scenario and many areas turned to sleet and freezing rain much earlier than the GFS implied, especially in western zones. The NAM really handled the mid-level warming better in that event, probably due to its superior resolution and physics schemes.

This time around, the NAM seems to be a tad colder than the GFS (and the Euro as well) in the mid-levels. After-all, it lead the way with the cooling trend with yesterday's 18Z run. This is a completely different setup than the 1/18 event in that we have a continuous supply of cold air, and not a retreating cold dome that quickly gives away to WAA. I am siding with the NAM's thermal profile based on how difficult it will be to erode this cold away, and that diabatic cooling from the precipitation will likely push the warm layer south a bit as the second event commences. I'd say the sleet line runs into a major brick wall at the POU, HFD, PYM, PVC line. It could reach BDL briefly, but I really have a hard time envisioning it getting much north of there. It's interesting to note how the NAM's superior resolution is leading to nearly opposite outcomes in these two different events.

One of the things I've been saying this winter - and this may be another case - past results do not dictate future performance. All that said I agree with your reasoning. My only hold-out is I'd like to see the 18z stay the course and actually tick colder again. We are just outside of the "zone: with the NAM in terms of when it locks a general/rough solution.

The GFS/Euro/GGEM/UK, not sure why we'd trust those models with temp profiles with some sort of high to the north. The MM5, ARW, and NMM are all even colder than the NAM. I feel it's going to snap one way or the other, if the NAM is bogus we'll see warmer and warmer solutions...if it's on the right track we'll see a snap colder with each run/series of runs for storm 2.

Euro has a cutter at 192..

Sounds like endless winter cancel.

No folks.. i did not take control of Mitch's computer

Yes but in fairness he's actually providing reasons for his snowier forecast versus just calling for the snowiest outcome all the time.

The EURO...yes, but that was with coastals.....I have a hard time going heavier than it's forecasts in a swfe.

Ok thanks Ray.

time to ride the mm5 :lol:

wouldn't that be somthing if it were to varify, would make the nam look warm. still trying to fig out the forcast on this double barrel situation. Box seems the most agressive ATM, not much being said about an ice threat, or rain for that matter.

LMAO

Funny thread, Mitchwxman has no vested interest in the Ryan Blizz Ray sleet b**ch war, Will, Scooter either nice to get some good input. Sorry Ryan but if you look back on your posts you are hissing warm just to get KeV sleet, I mean cmon VVs approaching 20 and you point out a + . 05 layer at 775 on the Nam and say sleet,We will see what happens AFTER round one, thats the whole key, everything else is moot.

IMO that's being overplayed...the VV's. If it's as warm as some forecast between 700-800 it won't matter. We had epic VV's cold surface temps and cold on either side of an almost identical thin warm layer in the last event and had raging sleet.

It's interesting to note the role reversal with respects to the GFS and the NAM with regards to this event and the 1/18 wintry mix event. The day prior the 1/18 event I seem to recall the NAM being more bullish on the mid-level warming while the GFS was implying a colder and snowier solution. While it was a bit colder than modeled in the low-levels during that event, the NAM had a better handle on the mid-level thermal profile in that scenario and many areas turned to sleet and freezing rain much earlier than the GFS implied, especially in western zones. The NAM really handled the mid-level warming better in that event, probably due to its superior resolution and physics schemes.

This time around, the NAM seems to be a tad colder than the GFS (and the Euro as well) in the mid-levels. After-all, it lead the way with the cooling trend with yesterday's 18Z run. This is a completely different setup than the 1/18 event in that we have a continuous supply of cold air, and not a retreating cold dome that quickly gives away to WAA. I am siding with the NAM's thermal profile based on how difficult it will be to erode this cold away, and that diabatic cooling from the precipitation will likely push the warm layer south a bit as the second event commences. I'd say the sleet line runs into a major brick wall at the POU, HFD, PYM, PVC line. It could reach BDL briefly, but I really have a hard time envisioning it getting much north of there. It's interesting to note how the NAM's superior resolution is leading to nearly opposite outcomes in these two different events.

Makes sense, I hope your right, Ive been teetering back and forth with that sleet line from forecasters and from model to model run. Ill take some brief pinging but hopefully the majority falls as snow.

IMO that's being overplayed...the VV's. If it's as warm as some forecast between 700-800 it won't matter. We had epic VV's cold surface temps and cold on either side of an almost identical thin warm layer in the last event and had raging sleet.

Well that is highly dependent. If it is very marginal, of course it will help. However if you are +2 to 3C in a warm layer, forget it.

.SHORT TERM /TUESDAY/...LIGHT TO MODERATE SNOW WILL CONTINUE THROUGH THE DAY...WITH THEHEAVIEST SNOW EXPECTED TO BE FROM LATE MORNING INTO THE AFTERNOON.12Z NAM AND GFS HAVE SIMILAR SYNOPTIC SOLUTIONS...BUT THE NAM HASA BIT MORE OOMPH IN ITS DYNAMICS FOR THE FIRST PART OF THISCOMPLEX WINTER STORM COMPLEX. BELIEVE THIS TO BE THE RESULT OF THEHIGHER RESOLUTION OF THE NAM CAPTURING MORE OF THE LOW-LEVELFRONTOGENESIS. BOTH THE GFS AND NAM SHOW EXCELLENT MOISTURE ANDVERTICAL MOTION WITHIN THE PRIME SNOW GROWTH REGION AS WELL.WILL BE ISSUING A WINTER STORM WARNING FOR MOST OF SOUTHERN NEWENGLAND STARTING EARLY TUESDAY MORNING AND CONTINUING THROUGH THEDAY SOON.

Wednesday event is more of a pseudo Miller b than a swfe

Agreed... show me the SW flow once the coastal takes over.

Miller As crush everyone up and down the coast, Miller Bs typically form just in time for PHL/NYC and areas N & E... this is like a HFD and North storm.

Miller C?

Miller High Life?

Miller As crush everyone up and down the coast, Miller Bs typically form just in time for PHL/NYC and areas N & E... this is like a HFD and North storm.

Miller C?

Miller High Life?

LOL...plus even coastal areas that mix or flip turn back to accumulating snow and that doesn't happen on a SWFE event

Miller C?

Miller High Life?

With the 850 low crossing sne possibly, and 700-500 lows crossing sne, it has swfe characteristics.

With the 850 low crossing sne possibly, and 700-500 lows crossing sne, it has swfe characteristics.

Its like a 70/30 or 80/20 hybrid...its basically a SWFE. It tries to get some mid-level Atlantic inflow at the last second...esp up in CNE/NNE but that happens in just about all SWFEs.

Heavy wet snow? Temps will be in the 20's over all of interior CT regardless of p-type for the entire event..so if it's snow..it ain't wet

Take a look at the temperature profile aloft, the only locations that will see fluffier snow will be well to our north, with that temp profile over us this snow is going to be more wet and heavy in nature. Plus we will be dealing with mixing issues...I don't care that the 850 0C line went further south this run, I don't give a damn if it went to freaking FL...the warm layer is above that and virtually has always been...bufkit shows this as do forecast soundings. We may end up avoiding the ZR threat but we see snow/sleet and the snow will be heavy.

Take a look at the temperature profile aloft, the only locations that will see fluffier snow will be well to our north, with that temp profile over us this snow is going to be more wet and heavy in nature. Plus we will be dealing with mixing issues...I don't care that the 850 0C line went further south this run, I don't give a damn if it went to freaking FL...the warm layer is above that and virtually has always been...bufkit shows this as do forecast soundings. We may end up avoiding the ZR threat but we see snow/sleet and the snow will be heavy.

That's fine..but it's not going to be a heavy wet snow which is what you are insinuating. It will be a dense, grainier type snow..not heavy wet snow that clings and plasters to everything

Chi town gonna rock later!!

BLIZZARD CONDITIONS:

VERY HIGH QPF TOTALS RAISE DOUBTS ABOUT THE BLOW-ABILITY OF THE SNOW

THAT FALLS. HOWEVER SNOWFALL RATES OF 2-3 INCHES PER HOUR APPEAR

LIKELY FOR A TIME TUESDAY NIGHT WHICH WILL PROBABLY BE ENOUGH TO

KNOCK VISIBILITIES DOWN TO LESS THAN 1/4SM SATISFYING THE BLIZZARD

WARNING CRITERIA. FURTHER INCREASING THE THREAT OF NEAR ZERO

VISIBILITIES IS THE POTENTIAL FOR THUNDERSNOW. WILL BE A VERY

DYNAMIC STORM SYSTEM WITH INTENSE UPWARD VERTICAL VELOCITIES AS

INTENSE FRONTOGENESIS WORKS IN CONCERT WITH TREMENDOUS UPWARD MOTION

RESULTING FROM FAST MOVING...RAPIDLY DEEPENING/CLOSING OFF MID LEVEL

CIRCULATION BECOMING NEGATIVELY TILTED AS IT APPROACHES FROM THE