Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
Epic winter signal continues to beam, part IV

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's interesting to note the role reversal with respects to the GFS and the NAM with regards to this event and the 1/18 wintry mix event. The day prior the 1/18 event I seem to recall the NAM being more bullish on the mid-level warming while the GFS was implying a colder and snowier solution. While it was a bit colder than modeled in the low-levels during that event, the NAM had a better handle on the mid-level thermal profile in that scenario and many areas turned to sleet and freezing rain much earlier than the GFS implied, especially in western zones. The NAM really handled the mid-level warming better in that event, probably due to its superior resolution and physics schemes.

This time around, the NAM seems to be a tad colder than the GFS (and the Euro as well) in the mid-levels. After-all, it lead the way with the cooling trend with yesterday's 18Z run. This is a completely different setup than the 1/18 event in that we have a continuous supply of cold air, and not a retreating cold dome that quickly gives away to WAA. I am siding with the NAM's thermal profile based on how difficult it will be to erode this cold away, and that diabatic cooling from the precipitation will likely push the warm layer south a bit as the second event commences. I'd say the sleet line runs into a major brick wall at the POU, HFD, PYM, PVC line. It could reach BDL briefly, but I really have a hard time envisioning it getting much north of there. It's interesting to note how the NAM's superior resolution is leading to nearly opposite outcomes in these two different events.

It's interesting to note the role reversal with respects to the GFS and the NAM with regards to this event and the 1/18 wintry mix event. The day prior the 1/18 event I seem to recall the NAM being more bullish on the mid-level warming while the GFS was implying a colder and snowier solution. While it was a bit colder than modeled in the low-levels during that event, the NAM had a better handle on the mid-level thermal profile in that scenario and many areas turned to sleet and freezing rain much earlier than the GFS implied, especially in western zones. The NAM really handled the mid-level warming better in that event, probably due to its superior resolution and physics schemes.

This time around, the NAM seems to be a tad colder than the GFS (and the Euro as well) in the mid-levels. After-all, it lead the way with the cooling trend with yesterday's 18Z run. This is a completely different setup than the 1/18 event in that we have a continuous supply of cold air, and not a retreating cold dome that quickly gives away to WAA. I am siding with the NAM's thermal profile based on how difficult it will be to erode this cold away, and that diabatic cooling from the precipitation will likely push the warm layer south a bit as the second event commences. I'd say the sleet line runs into a major brick wall at the POU, HFD, PYM, PVC line. It could reach BDL briefly, but I really have a hard time envisioning it getting much north of there. It's interesting to note how the NAM's superior resolution is leading to nearly opposite outcomes in these two different events.

Nice commentary. Thanks!

No folks.. i did not take control of Mitch's computer

Euro weenie maps get the 850-700 line up to ASH-2B2 at 18z Wednesday 2B2 is Newburyport. This is opposed to near Revere to Will on the 00z run. At 15z it argues for pingers possibly to the Pike, but it is extremely close. Again, big vv's may help areas that are close to tipping.

Is the 850-7oo mine the sleet line...

What is 2B2

2 ballz 2 weenies

LMAO

Funny thread, Mitchwxman has no vested interest in the Ryan Blizz Ray sleet b**ch war, Will, Scooter either nice to get some good input. Sorry Ryan but if you look back on your posts you are hissing warm just to get KeV sleet, I mean cmon VVs approaching 20 and you point out a + . 05 layer at 775 on the Nam and say sleet,We will see what happens AFTER round one, thats the whole key, everything else is moot.

Archived