Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
Epic winter signal continues to beam, part IV

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There could be a few sneaky heavier bands tomorrow...I was just looking at the 600-800 frontogenesis and it briefly for 2-3 hours gets pretty strong, especially by the time it reaches N CT and MA.

I think with a healthy burst of waa, that seems reasonable. For the cstl peeps...maybe a little OES enhancement too.

The BOX map looks pretty good to me, though I might be scared to go 18-20" for extreme N ORH cty and SW NH and out W near VT/MA border...but that idea is def gaining support. They look damn near the jackpot.

Probably just my natural conservatism not wanting to forecast 20" if evidence isn't overwhelming.

WTNH in New Haven is saying 6"-12" with upper levels near the Mass border for tomorrow. Ice storm for Wednesday. Dr. Mel is pretty conservative and these numbers shocked me.

No noon forecast on the Judge Mathis show on WVIT :arrowhead: .

we were on at 11

3-6" S CT

6-10" Central CT

10"-16" far northern CT

Ice storm potential southern CT

The BOX map looks pretty good to me, though I might be scared to go 18-20" for extreme N ORH cty and SW NH and out W near VT/MA border...but that idea is def gaining support. They look damn near the jackpot.

Probably just my natural conservatism not wanting to forecast 20" if evidence isn't overwhelming.

Some of the internal snow algorithms are destroying the higher spots near Gardner and esp sw NH and srn VT. It must be trying to peg better ratios there.

gfs ensembles aren't too shabby for interior SNE,CNE, and NNE all the way to the canadian border in VT and NH. 0.75" line kisses north of BTV and runs ENE from there...with temps cold, all of VT,NH, and SW Maine could get 12-18" with slightly lower amounts right at the canadian border and amounts up to 2 feet from RUT-EEN-MHT.

2 big exceptions to SWFE ending up warmer aloft than modeled are 2/8/1994 and 12/13/2007.

All I'm saying is that SWFE always, always come in warmer than forecast. I'm surprised I even have to recall the number of times you've posted a "wtf, where did this sleet come from" post while you're still sitting in the low 20s. In these latitudinal events being further inland doesn't really have the same effect. Signal continues to be there for a pretty significant ice storm in C CT. North of there probably just a load of sleet/snow grains.

2 big exceptions to SWFE ending up warmer aloft than modeled are 2/8/1994 and 12/13/2007.

12/13/07 was modeled very well by the GFS and ECMWF...but it was too cold by the NAM. Many around here remember it giving a lot of snow to the southern coastal areas of CT/S RI and it ended up sleeting quite a bit there.

Putting the map up itself is gutsy since it's a two event system. I think so much of what the total is will be driven by what we get tomorrow.

I also think--especially if ratios are not great--there will be compaction of the snow from round one which will lessen the final total of "new" snow.

Archived