• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
Epic winter signal continues to beam, part IV

Baroclinic Zone

Best cold air drainage is coming right down the coastal plain of Maine. The warm punch meets slightly more resistance the further east it goes. Its still mostly a latitude event, but further E might do slightly better than a place west at the same exact latitude in this setup.

You'd actually want to see the high further E for the gradient to favor E MA more over W CT...its still pretty much straight latitude on this setup. If the high was more like just NE of Caribou and moving into Nova Scotia., then you'd get more of a SW/NE snow gradient.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

MY FIRST CALL

UNFORTUNATELY I THINK THIS WILL BE ONE OF THOSE STORMS THAT WILL BE WARMER THAN THOUGHT FOR MOST..

I THINK MOST OF US SOUTH OF THE PIKE WILL SEE MUCH MORE SNOW FROM THE FIRST EVENT THAN THE SECOND EVENT.

WESTERN AREAS AND NORTH OF MASS PIKE AWAY FROM COAST :12-18"+ MOSTLY SNOW SOME SLEET

COASTAL AREAS NORTH OF PIKE: 6-12" MORE MIXING LIKELY WITH RAIN

EXTREME NORTHERN CT RI TO MASS PIKE" 8-12" ALL SNOW AND SLEET

CENTRAL AND NORTH CT INTO RI: 4-8" OF SNOW AND SLEET THEN DANGEROUS ICE STORM .25-.50"

CT SHORE AND EASTERN NEW ENGLAND: 2-4" OF SNOW AND SLEET DANGEROUS ICING JUST INLAND RAIN IMMEDIATE COAST .25" ICE BUILD UP

MY FIRST CALL

UNFORTUNATELY I THINK THIS WILL BE ONE OF THOSE STORMS THAT WILL BE WARMER THAN THOUGHT FOR MOST..

I THINK MOST OF US SOUTH OF THE PIKE WILL SEE MUCH MORE SNOW FROM THE FIRST EVENT THAN THE SECOND EVENT.

WESTERN AREAS AND NORTH OF MASS PIKE AWAY FROM COAST :12-18"+ MOSTLY SNOW SOME SLEET

CENTRAL AND NORTH CT INTO RI: 4-8" OF SNOW AND SLEET THEN DANGEROUS ICE STORM .25-.50"

CT SHORE AND EASTERN NEW ENGLAND: 2-4" OF SNOW AND SLEET DANGEROUS ICING JUST INLAND RAIN IMMEDIATE COAST .25" ICE BUILD UP

Much appreciated. There wouldn't be all those pesky IMBY calls if more of you guys posted this type of run-down.

I think folks aren't focusing enough on the big picture >overall both models were postive if you want more snow and less ice

All I'm saying is that SWFE always, always come in warmer than forecast. I'm surprised I even have to recall the number of times you've posted a "wtf, where did this sleet come from" post while you're still sitting in the low 20s. In these latitudinal events being further inland doesn't really have the same effect. Signal continues to be there for a pretty significant ice storm in C CT. North of there probably just a load of sleet/snow grains.

Yeah most places go to pingers pretty fast on Wed I think

Ice storm threat in S CT

ok so lets see here the last 2 days you were saying could be a big snow sleet storm and now its trending colder and your saying its going to be all sleet wed .

one would think if its colder now and sleet then on sunday and sat when it was warmer we were looking at rain then ?

All I'm saying is that SWFE always, always come in warmer than forecast. I'm surprised I even have to recall the number of times you've posted a "wtf, where did this sleet come from" post while you're still sitting in the low 20s. In these latitudinal events being further inland doesn't really have the same effect. Signal continues to be there for a pretty significant ice storm in C CT. North of there probably just a load of sleet/snow grains.

The question for me is whether or not mid levels warm enough for ZR in the HFD area. PL is a lock for most areas in CT.

MY FIRST CALL

Boy--tough one to forecast. Glad no one relies on my call other than my wife. lol

I'll take that 12-18 and run with it.

MY FIRST CALL

Nice write up in terms of accumulations for this upcoming event.

The GFS was a little further north with the mid level lows. As a result, the mid level temps bumped a bit up, but the dryslot races in quicker. Bring the dryslot in quicker, and you lose both the lift and the dynamic cooling. That is also promoting more mid level warming. Lift may be the deciding factor for those just south of the Pike. It may mean the difference between a layer that is isothermal at 0.5C vs isothermal at -0.5C for a time.

From WBZ Boston (maybe this was already posted? I did not see a time stamp on it) Edit: 10:53AM

BOSTON (CBS) – A major winter mess is on the way over the next three days.

If you haven’t had a chance to get the snow off your roof or make some extra space in your driveway, do it as soon as possible!

Two storms are headed straight for New England this week.

STORM ONE

Start Time: 8-to-11 a.m. Tuesday

End Time: 8-to-11 p.m. Tuesday

Precipitation Type: All snow from Plymouth to Providence northward, some mix and rain on the South Coast and Cape Cod

Snow Amounts: A widespread 4-to-7 inches of snow, potential for an inch or two more where temperatures are coldest (Worcester County, southern New Hampshire)

Commute(s) affected: Tuesday evening

Other Concerns: Very few. Not much wind, no coastal issues

STORM TWO

Start Time: 7-to-9 a.m. Wednesday

End Time: Around midnight

Precipitation Type: Mainly snow north of the Massachusetts Turnpike. Expect a snow and icy mix near and just south of the Pike and a rain and icy mix from Plymouth southward to Cape Cod.

Snow Amounts: 8-to-12 inches near the Mass Pike and Boston area. 12-to-16 inches in northern Massachusetts (Worcester, Middlesex, Essex Counties and southern New Hampshire). 4-to-8 inches south of Boston to Plymouth and 1-to-4 inches on the South Coast and Cape Cod

Commute(s) affected: Late Wednesday morning, Wednesday evening (BIG TIME), and Thursday morning (the clean up)

Other Concerns: The tides are just a minor concern. High tides are at 10:30 a.m. and 11 p.m. Wednesday, only minor splash over and flooding. Winds will be gusty (25-50 mph) at the coast on Wednesday, otherwise the main issue is the amount of snow and ice. Ice could accumulate in spots where it persists, near or just south of Boston most likely.

From WBZ Boston (maybe this was already posted? I did not see a time stamp on it) Edit: 10:53AM

BOSTON (CBS) – A major winter mess is on the way over the next three days.

If you haven’t had a chance to get the snow off your roof or make some extra space in your driveway, do it as soon as possible!

Two storms are headed straight for New England this week.

STORM ONE

Start Time: 8-to-11 a.m. Tuesday

End Time: 8-to-11 p.m. Tuesday

Precipitation Type: All snow from Plymouth to Providence northward, some mix and rain on the South Coast and Cape Cod

Snow Amounts: A widespread 4-to-7 inches of snow, potential for an inch or two more where temperatures are coldest (Worcester County, southern New Hampshire)

Commute(s) affected: Tuesday evening

Other Concerns: Very few. Not much wind, no coastal issues

STORM TWO

Start Time: 7-to-9 a.m. Wednesday

End Time: Around midnight

Precipitation Type: Mainly snow north of the Massachusetts Turnpike. Expect a snow and icy mix near and just south of the Pike and a rain and icy mix from Plymouth southward to Cape Cod.

Snow Amounts: 8-to-12 inches near the Mass Pike and Boston area. 12-to-16 inches in northern Massachusetts (Worcester, Middlesex, Essex Counties and southern New Hampshire). 4-to-8 inches south of Boston to Plymouth and 1-to-4 inches on the South Coast and Cape Cod

Commute(s) affected: Late Wednesday morning, Wednesday evening (BIG TIME), and Thursday morning (the clean up)

Other Concerns: The tides are just a minor concern. High tides are at 10:30 a.m. and 11 p.m. Wednesday, only minor splash over and flooding. Winds will be gusty (25-50 mph) at the coast on Wednesday, otherwise the main issue is the amount of snow and ice. Ice could accumulate in spots where it persists, near or just south of Boston most likely.

This is another good forecast. People need info, not a useless 5 day forecast with a snowflake and an ice pellet that tells us absolutely nothing. Everybody I know immediately goes to weather.com for weather. Yet, it doesn't say much.

Well, you don't own a house or a business. Ice is not good.

:axe: :axe: :axe:

Nothing worse than ice... looks cool, neat met wise, but man does it stink.

I've lived through substantial ice storms, such as 2002. They're awesome...and you're correct, I don't own either of those things so that's why they're cool IMO. I still sympathize with those negatively affected by them, though...

I've lived through substantial ice storms, such as 2002. They're awesome...and you're correct, I don't own either of those things so that's why they're cool IMO. I still sympathize with those negatively affected by them, though...

You don't have to worry about an icestorm at uconn or at home., It's mostly a snow event with maybe a couple hrs of sleet

They are a stunning, sureal mode of precip, but throwing out $200 worth of food, living in a cramped apartment after evacuating from my house for 4 days, many trees on my property destroyed/damaged... and I had it good. No big losses. Many of my neighbors and thousands in surrounding communities were devastated. 12/2008 Hope to never see it again.

One cool thing, though, is some of the upper parts of Wachusett are still covered in 1/4" or so of ice from Jan 14 (I think?)

Canadian doesn't seem all that different from 00z. Maybe a little cooler at 12z Wednesday, but a hair warmer at 00z Thursday.

Yeah it actually doesn't look too far off from the 12z GFS...though it has more amped up qpf from the appetizer event.

Archived