Most Online
    Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
Cyclone Yasi

• Replies 585
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The JTWC's new warning puts the intensity at a whopping 135 kt (1-min)! That's actually stronger than the BoM's current estimate of 110 kt (10-min).

From the text:

ANIMATED INFRARED SATELLITE IMAGERY SHOWS A 30 NM EYE AND THE CAIRNS RADAR DEPICTS A WELL-DEFINED EYEWALL. THE INITIAL INTENSITY WAS BASED ON PGTW, KNES, AND ABRF DVORAK ESTIMATES RANGING FROM 127 TO 140 KNOTS.

post-19-0-28029800-1296655941.gif

http://www.abc.net.au/news/events/cyclone-yasi/

One thing that irks me... and saddens me... is apparently all of the Queenslanders that think tape is an acceptable solution to put on windows for protection. It's also pretty irresponsible for a journalist for the largest news network down there to sit in a hotel room with tape on the windows without pointing out how it is not an acceptable solution.

Urgh.

20G50KT at Cairns and 43G63KT at Townsville. Radio is saying the trees are bendy in Townsville.

Cool, thanks! Since landfall is happening now, I would think these locations would be experiencing the max effects about now-- in which case, it seems they both got lucky.

Did either station have higher gusts?

Cool, thanks! Since landfall is happening now, I would think these locations would be experiencing the max effects about now-- in which case, it seems they both got lucky.

Did either station have higher gusts?

Nope, those were the highest.

http://www.rap.ucar.edu/weather/surface/?metarIds=ybcs+ybtl&hoursStr=past+3+hours&std_trans=standard&num_metars=number&submit_metars=Retrieve

In case anyone is interested, here is a station just SE of Cardwell that was still reporting:

http://www.bom.gov.au/products/IDQ60801/IDQ60801.94295.shtml

Omg! Great find! Thank you! I didn't know about this one. Very cool. Lots of gusts up to 100 kt-- which I assume means the instrument doesn't go higher?

The BoM's new advice officially declares landfall-- the center is onshore:

YASI CROSSED THE COAST NEAR MISSION BEACH DURING THE PAST HOUR WITH THE LARGE DESTRUCTIVE CORE AROUND THE EYE EXTENDING BETWEEN INNISFAIL AND CARDWELL.

The latest Technical Bulletin indicates an intensity of 930 mb/110 kt (10-min), so I guess that will be the official landfall intensity unless postanalysis shows otherwise.

The map below shows the track leading up to landfall, with the current location in red.

The Cairns radar went out for a little while, so here's one from Townsville.

post-19-0-48157600-1296659289.gif

post-19-0-68236500-1296659279.png

Omg! Great find! Thank you! I didn't know about this one. Very cool. Lots of gusts up to 100 kt-- which I assume means the instrument doesn't go higher?

The instrument probably goes higher, but Lucinda was *just* outside of the eyewall from what it looks like on radar, so it's quite possible that's as high as it got there... regardless, it shows that inside the eyewall was probably very treacherous.

I really really wish they had not taken down the Cardwell and Innisfail stations :(

Unofficial measurement from Innisfail (from BOM chief on radio): 222km/hr gust

That's 120 kt-- really high, given they were outside of the core, on the weaker side.

The instrument probably goes higher, but Lucinda was *just* outside of the eyewall from what it looks like on radar, so it's quite possible that's as high as it got there... regardless, it shows that inside the eyewall was probably very treacherous.

I really really wish they had not taken down the Cardwell and Innisfail stations :(

Yeah, I just looked, and Lucinda is near Ingham-- way S. They were definitely not in the core. Too bad! Either way, the readings are decent and show that very strong winds extend from the center with this cyclone.

Roofs flying off pubs in Innisfail. Australians broken hearted.

(This radio broadcast is pretty cool)

I really wish I could listen to it at work :(

I feel bad for Innisfail... to get two of the strongest cyclones to hit QLD just a few years apart.

Now we just need someone in a boat in Cardwell reporting, and we should be set.

2.10am Townsville authorities say there is no way of knowing how many homes will be inundated as a result of an expected record storm surge as cyclone Yasi belts the north Queensland coast. A wave height of 9.5 metres had been recorded at the city, almost three metres above the expected level, but authorities will not be able to determine the effects of the storm surge until after the cyclone has passed.

Residents have reported sheets of roof iron have been ripped from a Townsville shopping centre and seeing metal awnings fly down the street. Castle Hill resident Wil Kemp described the conditions as "scary".

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news/floodrelief/north-queensland-braces-for-cyclone-anthony-as-cyclone-yasi-brews-behind-it/story-fn7ik2te-1225998711771#ixzz1CofqS91E

It's difficult to tell if by "wave height" they mean storm surge or storm surge + crest of waves. This is not surprising... the shape of the coast and size of the cyclone will have easily allowed for excessively higher surges than a traditional storm surge/category definition would allow. See: Katrina.

2.45am Residents in Tully have already reported massive devastation with roofs torn from houses and power poles knocked over. where he was waiting out the storm, and local properties had suffered similar damage. Cassowary Coast councillor Ross Sorbello said the roof had been torn from his mother's house, where he was waiting out the storm, and local properties had suffered similar damage.

It is just a scene of mass devastation. (Cyclone) Larry was a boy compared to this.

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news/floodrelief/north-queensland-braces-for-cyclone-anthony-as-cyclone-yasi-brews-behind-it/story-fn7ik2te-1225998711771#ixzz1CooOrD7n

Sustained 53 kt and gusts to 73 kt in Townsville about an hour ago. Looks like they're getting a bigger pounding than was expected 24 hours ago due to the track dipping more WSW.

YBTL 021530Z AUTO 09053G73KT //// // ////// 24/24 Q099

That's impressive how high the winds are down there, given they're very far from the center. It really is a large cyclone.

Track and current position:

post-19-0-71713700-1296664490.png

Archived