happyweatherforyou
    Newest Member
    happyweatherforyou
Epic winter signal continues to beam, part III

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 969
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Being east might be better for me but that colder trend needs to keep going. I really do not want any ice issues, whatever falls is frozen, sick LL temps

I'm interested to see what the globals have. The 00z NAM has me and you straddling the snow/sleet line but the sleet probably winning out. Definitely not much ice.

I mean people are disappointed with 10" nowadays. Do you know what I would have done to see 10" of snow back in 80's or early 90's???

The fact anyone is expecting 18"+ out of a SWFE is enough to make me want to gouge my eyes out. This particular one might be special enough to do the trick, but the simple climo argues STRONGLY against those amounts.

The fact anyone is expecting 18"+ out of a SWFE is enough to make me want to gouge my eyes out. This particular one might be special enough to do the trick, but the simple climo argues STRONGLY against those amounts.

what do i always say to kevin?

never bank on 12"+ amounts when the 700mb/850mb lows aren't underneath you

I mean people are disappointed with 10" nowadays. Do you know what I would have done to see 10" of snow back in 80's or early 90's???

It took me nearly 5 years to see 10'' (from Feb 2006 to Jan 2011)...now I've seen 2 in less than a month :arrowhead:

It's not like this is going to be the end result so I think some people just need to relax, the only thing the NAM does (for us down here in CT at least) is back off on any wording locking in a major snow producing event, it very well could still happen here.

I would agree, but a couple of broadcast mets are putting that out there...

Hoping for 10-13" total here between the two.

I guess I'm confused. Didn't we have a picture of a Boston TV met predicting 20" in some spots?

I agree...it's very hard to get a foot and a half out of one storm without some sort of decent banding. SWFE's usually don't have sustained banding...more or less just a large blob of S/S+ that's in and out and doesn't last crazy long...much like 12/13/07 and 12/19/08. The difference here is that we have a bit of a front runner that I'm not sure should be lumped in with the bigger wave that comes after.

I don't really see this as a southwes what IS a southwest flow event then? I don't consider a low going to Dayton Ohio then squeezed underneath us a southwest flow event, but maybe I don't know how we are defining that.

also, i don't think that event would produce that either way; this is actually the combination of a 4-6" deal, followed by a foot - no?

I guess I'm confused. Didn't we have a picture of a Boston TV met predicting 20" in some spots?

If you are north of the ML center in CNE, its not out of the question. Its not impossible to see some spot 18" amounts in SWFE...January 1994 has a few lollis like that, but overall its silly to expect it, especially 2 days before it starts.

I agree...it's very hard to get a foot and a half out of one storm without some sort of decent banding. SWFE's usually don't have sustained banding...more or less just a large blob of S/S+ that's in and out and doesn't last crazy long...much like 12/13/07 and 12/19/08. The difference here is that we have a bit of a front runner that I'm not sure should be lumped in with the bigger wave that comes after.

The main blob seems to be in and out in about 9 hrs. The goodies before and after could add up.

If you are north of the ML center in CNE, its not out of the question. Its not impossible to see some spot 18" amounts in SWFE...January 1994 has a few lollis like that, but overall its silly to expect it, especially 2 days before it starts.

It's a bit asinine to expect 18''+ in any storm 2 days out, though I'd have to think our odds of 12'' are decently high and 18''+ is not impossible as you said.

Like I told Will this afternoon, the setup Wed reminds me of 19-20 Dec 2008. I mean, not every intimate detail is a match but it's strikingly similar...just more juiced up.

I agree. Actually Dec 19-21. The appetizer up here was 12 inches and the main course was 14. There was continuous light snow in between the events. Exactly the one I was thinking this sounded similar to. SWFE first event and then as Will told me at the GTG, something on the coast for event 2. It was preceded by 5 inches on the 17th. This was my introduction to winter in New England.

Archived