Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
January 26-27 Storm Disco/Obs II

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry I've been a bit out of the loop. Today has been a crazy day at work with us unveiling a new weather graphics package soon.

I like what I see. 5-9 I-84 corridor (including boston).... 9-14 southern CT, RI, SE Mass :snowman:

Nah, Boston will make that 9-14" band.

<br />He should be absolutely ripping tunes out of the accordion later tonight when he snowing at 2 inches per hour.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Been out of the loop since about 3... is everyone pretty much thinking things look good for a rippin' later tonight after 10 or so. I'm thinking I-84 and points SE get smacked based on the little stuff I've seen. I'm off tonight and tomorrow so I'm excited to stay up late and watch this unfold

New AFD

THE MAIN EVENT IS RAPIDLY DEVELOPING OVER THE MID ATLANTIC STATES.WE ARE QUITE IMPRESSED BY THE LATEST SATELLITE AND RADAR IMAGERYOVER THE MID ATLANTIC STATES. LOW PRESSURE IS IN THE PROCESS OFBOMBING OFF THE MID ATLANTIC COAST AND THERE ARE LIGHTNING STRIKESSHOWING UP. RAIN HAS CHANGED TO HEAVY SNOW ACROSS VIRGINIA AND INTOTHE WASHINGTON DC AREA.WHAT IS CURRENTLY GOING ON IN THE MID ATLANTIC STATES CERTAINLY HASUS CONCERNED. THE GFS MODEL SEEMS TO HAVE A GOOD HANDLE ON THISSITUATION. IT APPEARS THAT A DEFORMATION BAND WITH HEAVY SNOWFALLRATES OF AT LEAST 1 TO 2 INCHES PER HOUR WILL MOVE INTO THEPROVIDENCE...TO TAUNTON AND BOSTON CORRIDOR LATER THIS EVENING.THE GFS SHOWS EXCELLENT SNOWGROWTH JUST TO THE WEST AND NORTH OF THE700 MB TROUGH AXIS. THE BRUNT OF THE STORM LOOKS TO TAKE PLACEBETWEEN 10 PM AND 5 AM. SOMETIMES THESE BANDS SETUP A BIT FURTHERWEST THAN MODEL QPF FIELDS SUGGEST AND THAT IS ONE OF THE REASON/SWHY WE ARE LEANING TOWARDS THE GFS AND ITS WESTWARD EXTENT OF THEQPF. IT APPEARS THAT 8 TO 12 INCHES MAY FALL OVER A VERY SHORT TIMEACROSS MUCH OF EASTERN MA/RHODE ISLAND INCLUDING THE BOSTONMETROPOLITAN AREA. FAR NORTHEAST MA MAY END UP ON THE LOWER END OFTHOSE NUMBERS...BUT NOT TOTALLY SURE ON THAT THE WAY THINGS AREEXPLODING OVER THE MID ATLANTIC. ALSO...ITS NOT OUT OF THE QUESTIONTHAT WE SEE A RUMBLE OR TWO OF THUNDER. WILL HAVE AN UPDATED WINTERWEATHER STATEMENT AND SNOWFALL GRAPHICS UPDATED SHORTLY.THE OTHER ISSUE IS ACROSS FAR SOUTHEAST MA/CAPE COD WHERE THERE ISSOME RAIN OR RAIN/SNOW FALLING...EXPECT A CHANGE TO HEAVY SNOW WILLOCCUR AS THE LOW BOMBS OUT. WE ARE CONCERNED IN THIS REGION FOR AHEAVY WET SNOW WITH TEMPERATURES NEAR FREEZING DURING THE EVENT.THIS MAY RESULT IN A FEW DOWNED TREE LIMBS AND ISOLATED POWEROUTAGES...ESPECIALLY AS NORTHEAST WINDS RAPIDLY INCREASE OVERNIGHT.THIS IS SOMETHING WILL HAVE TO KEEP AN EYE ON FOR THIS REGION.BESIDES SNOW...WINDS WILL BE AN ISSUE ACROSS EXPOSED PORTIONS OFTHE S COAST...ISLANDS AND THE CAPE ESPECIALLY. WHILE THE LLJ ISEXPECTED TO CROSS THIS REGION BEGINNING JUST BEFORE MIDNIGHT...BOUNDARY LAYER INSTABILITY WILL INCREASE DURING THE EARLY MORNINGHOURS ALLOWING FOR THE BEST MIXING TO OCCUR THEN. ONLY AREA WHERETHIS IS NOT COVERED BY A WINTER STORM WARNING IS NANTUCKET ISLANDWHICH WAS RAISED TO A WIND ADVISORY EARLIER TODAY TO COVER THESEHIGH WINDS.

He should be absolutely ripping tunes out of the accordion later tonight when he snowing at 2 inches per hour.

He should be prancing and kicking around the house kicking his legs out to and fro like one of those wooden people on a stick that you bounce on your knee...just pounding out the tunes...the thing will have smoke pouring out of it he;s squeezing so hard.

<br /><br /><br />

Been out of the loop since about 3... is everyone pretty much thinking things look good for a rippin' later tonight after 10 or so. I'm thinking I-84 and points SE get smacked based on the little stuff I've seen. I'm off tonight and tomorrow so I'm excited to stay up late and watch this unfold

There might be pretty heavy amounts NW of I-84 too, its going to be very interesting to follow. There is already clear strong frontogenesis forcing a band to start to develop over W MA/NW CT/SE NY....we'll have to see how it unfolds over the next couple hours. RUC is not backing down on big snows for just about all of SNE over the next 6 hours.

<br /><br /><br />

iPHONE eh, see my post above turn off RTE in your settings

There might be pretty heavy amounts NW of I-84 too, its going to be very interesting to follow. There is already clear strong frontogenesis forcing a band to start to develop over W MA/NW CT/SE NY....we'll have to see how it unfolds over the next couple hours. RUC is not backing down on big snows for just about all of SNE over the next 6 hours.

Squeeze it!!

Archived