Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
January 26-27 Storm Disco/Obs II

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just walked outside...that is surely not light snow. Of that I am sure. it is accumulating rapidly.

Snow intensity goes by visibility.

But wow. Canterbury down to 3/10SM vis. Hopefully the southern part of the band redevelops or it stalls in place now before making the SE shift. I'd laugh if we pull off an inch per hour. lol

You can have 1 mile or 3/4 mile visibility and good dendritic growth to get good accumulation rate but its still light snow. In fact I've seen pretty moderate-esque accumulation rates near 1.5-2 mile vis before if the dendrites are good enough.

yeah the flakes are fantastic, medium sized fluffy dudes. I don't know the technicals around snow rates, but I know it is snowing and accumulating at a very good pace.

edit: just went out...have 1/2 inch on railings already

Snow intensity goes by visibility.

But wow. Canterbury down to 3/10SM vis. Hopefully the southern part of the band redevelops or it stalls in place now before making the SE shift. I'd laugh if we pull off an inch per hour. lol

canterbury is due e of me. you are ene of me. it is really accumulating fast and i'd almost call it heavy snow...seriously thick and fluffy....looks like ideal snow growth. It is definitely inch an hour snow.

Archived