Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
January 26-27 Storm Disco/Obs II

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What's the deal with all the non-snow in CT? Who saw that one coming?

A lot of the amped up RUC runs had a lot of sleet into CT between 00z and 05z. Its matching up well with the mid-level frontogenesis forming well west into W MA and SE NY and NW CT on the SPC analysis.

I could put up a big flashing banner on every one of those graphics saying "not speaking of totals"...and it wouldn't matter HV. It's almost hilarious. It's like Gollum with the "precious" ring...don't mess with the snow...

If that map showed six feet in three hours, different story...then it's awesome. RUC was the "balls" all day, when its pedaling the other way, toss it.

One of the more unorthodox outcomes I've seen based on what model forecasts were up through 12z today.

I was away from the net all day but traveling form Newton to Greenfield (5-8pm) and ingesting the conditions I went through and what's going on on radar and in mby I will confidentaly say it is an anomaly storm. Fun!

I could put up a big flashing banner on every one of those graphics saying "not speaking of totals"...and it wouldn't matter HV. It's almost hilarious. It's like Gollum with the "precious" ring...don't mess with the snow...

If that map showed six feet in three hours, different story...then it's awesome. RUC was the "balls" all day, when its pedaling the other way, toss it.

not sure dude.. the RUC looks pretty good to me.. even the 2z does not seem to shift much.. but maybe you can see it better than me.. you may be younger. :)

A lot of banding setting up to my west...with that stuff now ripping NNW from LI, I think that will bode well for great things a couple hours form now. It could look pretty amazing. Hope my thinking is correct on this.

I don't see why it wouldn't. That back edge is slowing and the stuff near LI is moving steadily north. At some point it will slow its latitudinal progression, but I think you'll get hit real good for a few hours.

I don't see why it wouldn't. That back edge is slowing and the stuff near LI is moving steadily north. At some point it will slow its latitudinal progression, but I think you'll get hit real good for a few hours.

I somewhat agree. only disagreement is on that stuff near LI. Looks to be actually moving NW, not just N to me.

I don't like the fact that there is OES by you, and the deform seems to be initally nw of me.....substinence maybe, later.

I think I'd be more concerned about the western kicker than anything. No doubt it'll be good but for how long.

A lot of the amped up RUC runs had a lot of sleet into CT between 00z and 05z. Its matching up well with the mid-level frontogenesis forming well west into W MA and SE NY and NW CT on the SPC analysis.

Looks like it washes out with the heavier precip by most reports/webcams too. Same as what I had going on here earlier.

lots of people said mix to start transitioning to snow around 11 or 12..we flipped over to snow here in Willington

Ok, thanks.

--

Quite the struggle in NW MA...dry air starting to poke in. Meanwhile it's getting epic in the south. http://radar.weather.gov/radar.php?product=N0R&rid=enx&loop=yes

A lot of flakes in the air here but the snow growth is laughable. I'd love to stay up to see how this shakes out but 4:30 comes quick. Here's hoping for a surprise.

It has picked up here. Maybe Mark is right about pushing moderate snows. Canterbury RWIS (right on Northfield southern border) is between 1/2-3/4SM now. AFN is 3/4SM. My precip sensor is 15 out of 15. :snowman:

I just walked outside...that is surely not light snow. Of that I am sure. it is accumulating rapidly.

You can have 1 mile or 3/4 mile visibility and good dendritic growth to get good accumulation rate but its still light snow. In fact I've seen pretty moderate-esque accumulation rates near 1.5-2 mile vis before if the dendrites are good enough.

Archived