• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
January 26-27 Snowstorm Disco/Obs - Gametime

Baroclinic Zone

Think I'm going to do the exact same thing shortly, though I'm almost looking forward to 2'' so I can shovel the driveway the old fashioned way for once this year rather than snowblowing.

ihearya, we'll probably be able to use a broom instead of a shovel. I'm feeling so left out of this reading all the CT posts. lol.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just changed over here, mix of snow and sleet right now.

I may have grabbed an inch prior.

RUC - continues to back off, big blow hole over CT.

Just wondering! How is it backing off when if you look at the prior run and this run the hole is more filled in on 18z than 17z?

So a bit OT, but will throw this out since a couple have commented on this thread...

regarding putting this winter into historical perspective on the CT shoreline...I have historical COOP data from Westbrook from 1940-1978. During that time there were several 60"+ seasons. 1947-48 was king in that time with just under 70". The top 10 starts at 40.5." Thus far I've measured about 36" this year...not including what's fallen so far today. Now I don't know how Westbrook would've faired between 1978-2010 if the COOP was still there, but probably safe to say there wouldn't be too many other winters that would've busted into the Top 10...1995-96 for sure (I'd be curious if anyone knows if the shoreline was over/under the 70" mark that season). I think its pretty safe to say after this storm this winter is solidly in the Top 10 for the shoreline.

I think the stuff in NNJ and SE NY will probably make it at least to the pike and maybe a bit further...the flow has backed enough at 5h to allow a more northward component to the precip.

was out for a while and just came back in and looked at the radar...actually is looking good in PA and NYS. It is building and moving n and nne. That stuff is going to come over SNE and maybe CNE as it looks to me. WNE as well. I'm a weenie and I have weenie glasses on but what am I missing? If I knew nothing about what the models have been saying I would look at that and think a NE snowstorm was on the way...and not just SNE. Tubes said something about the northern stream phasing in...is that happening?

It has been mentioned but...are we going to have a break in the precip? We could make a run for endless snow with how things look over VA getting into MD and the continual development south of CT.

GFS didn't really show a break. and the way things are starting to fill in over the dryslot in eastern PA...I do think any break will be pretty shortlived. I still think some lull is likely...but maybe it only slows to flurries or something like that. starting to seem unlikely that snow come to a complete halt before the CCB comes through.

It has been mentioned but...are we going to have a break in the precip? We could make a run for endless snow with how things look over VA getting into MD and the continual development south of CT.

We might be getting into a "lull" soon.

Its barely spitting snow in Shelton now

From the NYC thread

post-334-0-47387900-1296068649.gif

Just wondering! How is it backing off when if you look at the prior run and this run the hole is more filled in on 18z than 17z?

I'm not going to spend a ton of time on the RUC but here's the old 8hr vs the new 5h...it's pulling the shield south to the north, and backing off on the omega. If you want to look at it beyond about 3-5 hours...knock yourself out. It might be right this time, sometimes it does nail it and gets criticized too much...but

GFS didn't really show a break. and the way things are starting to fill in over the dryslot in eastern PA...I do think any break will be pretty shortlived. I still think some lull is likely...but maybe it only slows to flurries or something like that. starting to seem unlikely that snow come to a complete halt before the CCB comes through.

Hmmm, agreed. Light snow now. Nice information on the history you posted. I wish I had all the BDR data. We were close to 70 if not more in 95-96 (I was 10 and have always lived in north Stratford in different homes).

ihearya, we'll probably be able to use a broom instead of a shovel. I'm feeling so left out of this reading all the CT posts. lol.

Welcome to NNE 2010, We watched 6 storms do this last year up here, Thats why it no longer bothers me when it happens, You never like it but its easier to blow off when you been slapped multiple times, There is always another one........ :thumbsup:

The 18z RUC has the 5h deformation axis over TOL-ORH to perhaps Ray's area later tonight between about midnight and 2 or 3am. Probably too far NW, but its interesting that it keeps doing it. We'll need to wait until its inside of 6h to believe it.

Will it continues to pummel all of cne and sne.. heck it even has measurable snow for nne.. I know it has a NW bias but that is WAY too far NW.. could it be on to something with a deform band?... I can't see how that precip in Pennsylvania and WV misses cne.. unless it goes due east here on out.. also.. on radar the two batches are starting to connect which the ruc has

Archived