• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
January 26-27 Snowstorm Disco V

Baroclinic Zone

GFS already looks better with the srn system at hr 12.

This stucks! one thing that is particularly fun is to crack open the FRH grid (FOUS) for the NAM and set eyes on the numbers in the closing hours... But with the NAM apparently pooping the bed on this thing - not much entertainment there this time. .3 for BOS? come on - get with the program!

I tell you what, if for some reason the NAM hits this than that will be 2 storms this winter that it handed the ECM it's ass. ECM inside of 60 hours is really really difficult to beat, but the NAM did pull it off with that generalized 16" er we had a couple clicks back.

BTW, many of the deterministic guidance types left the door open for more potential over the weekend, perhaps a NJ Model low that clips CT-RI and southern Mass with more than 2-4. High end advisory spin off the NJ coast with V-max going under LI as in the GGEM and NOGAPS - though not very well reflected in their respective QPF layouts, the possiblility would still be there with that S/W trajectory.

also, I can't seem to get past about 10 days out with much ease looking forward. There's something there - something big maybe.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you look carefully at the new GFS valid 0z Wed vs. the old GFS (0z run), it clearly has trended toward the ECMWF in 2 important aspects:

1) The northern stream trough near Lake Superior has trended further north

2) The southern stream system over TX/LA has also trended substantially further north

Another important point to consider:

The 0Z GFS has verified much better than the NAM on the NW extent of precip. over Arkansas and on the surface map (GFS has a much more extensive area of sub-1012 mb pressures, more in line with current obs).

http://climate.cod.e...c/se.wxpsfc.gif

http://www.twisterda...e&archive=false

http://www.twisterda...e&archive=false

Subtle shifts past 3 runs of GEFS anomaly winds at 850 off to the ESE. Still looks like a moderate to heavy impact for LI and in general along and east of I91. Some light accumulations back to the HV south of Albany, Berkshires and Litchfield Hills too. Slight chance for moderate amts across NW CT. PWATS also way more east. A broad area of +1 to +2 from HV east across New England. System MAY not be too wet even for areas of New England where the greatest impacts will be.

GFS doesn't look that bad. It's def ticked east from the earlier run, but it's developing a decent CCB. Your caveats are very valid though.

If you look carefully at the new GFS valid 0z Wed vs. the old GFS (0z run), it clearly has trended toward the ECMWF in 2 important aspects:

1) The northern stream trough near Lake Superior has trended further north

2) The southern stream system over TX/LA has also trended substantially further north

That's what caught my eye.

Not sure what you mean by this....12z GFS is more unlike the EURO than the 00z was.

Thanks for being objective Ray. I disagree with everyone that says this is like the 0z Euro at all. It's moving away from that solution towards the NAM/RGEM (I'm betting UK) consensus. The initial main pulse of moisture isn't really there, we wait for the CCB/comma head to roll over us.

It's a great storm, it's just on the extreme side of what we've seen this year (east)

Archived