Newest Member
    Monty
January 26-27 Snowstorm Disco V

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1-2 feet.!!! Chuck em high low chuck em high chuck a weenie in DT's eye

Two feet is going to be tough with the speed of the storm. We're looking at realistically a six hour period, perhaps eight, of moderate to heavy snow with light stuff an hour or so on either side. The Thursday morning commute may actually not be that bad in SW CT if the heavier stuff is out of here by 1-2 AM.

GFS doing some weird qpf things again. It cut away from BOS and ne mass and shifted west.

ULL looks much better this run...probably why we saw the shift W in PF but the little mins and maxes are probably just model noise. Especially when it comes to the GFS.

Two feet is going to be tough with the speed of the storm. We're looking at realistically a six hour period, perhaps eight, of moderate to heavy snow with light stuff an hour or so on either side. The Thursday morning commute may actually not be that bad in SW CT if the heavier stuff is out of here by 1-2 AM.

Well people said that with the Jan 12th storm too. I don't thnk it ends nearly as soon as you are thinking...In fact It's still prob snowing hard in NYC at 6:00am

Not massive but decent. Less qpf for Boston vs 12Z but much better mslp and upper air so I think it would hit us pretty good.

With your prodigious upper level skills are you worried about QPF given the track and depiction of the upper levels EDIT: and mid levels? Not to mention the nice shift toward a consolidated monster storm versus a dual lobed monstrocity?

My opinion is there's nearly 0% change of that. It will be ending in Boston by 8 at the latest.

Yeah Upton has mostly sunny for Thursday, not even a mention of snow early in the morning except eastern CT. NYC metro the main event is probably 6PM-12AM. Wonder how many bad measurements we'll see with this storm due to the general public not measuring accurately. Could lead to some inflation as was suspected in some spots in the Jan 12 storm.

With your prodigious upper level skills are you worried about QPF given the track and depiction of the upper levels? Not to mention the nice shift toward a consolidated monster storm versus a dual lobed monstrocity?

I'm always worried about less than ideal qpf output but you are kind in giving me upper air skills....lol. Kind of like the snow numbers...another flag. I am not particularly worried because this is an 18Z run and the overall trend at 18Z today has been positive. We'll see what happens 0Z. For now, 6-12 would still be my call for the Boston area.

Doesn't stop in Eastern Mass till noonish

"we're going to miss the brunt of the storm., ff it were all one entity we were going to get mashed with snow... but instead we have this separate part that snaps in the middle...." That's bouchard to start the 5pm right now, he's really hitting the break hard. Maybe too hard but we'll see tonight. He seems to think it's already happening.

I think it could snow right through til Friday. Lolli's of 20" easily attainable, especially in CT.

Its the jackpot fetish a lot of people have. If they see someone not too far from them have more, then they automatically claim they are getting screwed....even if they are comfortably above climo.

this

I still call this a south of the border winter because that's where the jackpot is. I am very pleased with how the winter is going here in NH too, just saying it's not "our" winter. Like I said in the "grading" thread, I'd give it a B+ so far

Archived