• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
January 26-27 Snowstorm Disco V

Baroclinic Zone

It's amazing how the Euro and it's ens. haven't budged for days and we've seen every other model play catchup..Some still not there. Some all the way there

Well it cut QPF back decently up my way. I went from about 1.00" at 00z down to a bit under 0.50" this run...probably a high end advisory. It would probably average out to near a warning for my county with CON near 0.75" and > 10:1 ratios. Looks like nothing major up here barring a miracle, but any snow is good snow.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting. Just posted.

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE TAUNTON MA

348 PM EST TUE JAN 25 2011

...A NOREASTER WILL LIKELY BRING HEAVY SNOW TO PORTIONS OF

SOUTHERN NEW ENGLAND MAINLY WEDNESDAY NIGHT INTO EARLY THURSDAY MORNING...

MAZ013-016>019-RIZ001>005-260500-

/O.UPG.KBOX.WS.A.0004.110126T1700Z-110127T1700Z/

/O.NEW.KBOX.WS.W.0007.110126T2100Z-110127T1500Z/

WESTERN NORFOLK MA-EASTERN NORFOLK MA-NORTHERN BRISTOL MA-

WESTERN PLYMOUTH MA-EASTERN PLYMOUTH MA-NORTHWEST PROVIDENCE RI-

SOUTHEAST PROVIDENCE RI-WESTERN KENT RI-EASTERN KENT RI-

BRISTOL RI-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...FOXBORO...NORWOOD...QUINCY...TAUNTON...

BROCKTON...PLYMOUTH...FOSTER...SMITHFIELD...PROVIDENCE...

WEST GREENWICH...WARWICK...BRISTOL

348 PM EST TUE JAN 25 2011

...WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 4 PM WEDNESDAY TO 10 AM

EST THURSDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN TAUNTON HAS ISSUED A WINTER STORM

WARNING FOR HEAVY SNOW...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 4 PM WEDNESDAY TO 10

AM EST THURSDAY. THE WINTER STORM WATCH IS NO LONGER IN EFFECT.

* LOCATIONS...MOST OF RHODE ISLAND AND SOUTHEAST MASSACHUSETTS

EXCEPT FOR THE IMMEDIATE SOUTH COAST.

* HAZARD TYPES...HEAVY SNOW.

* ACCUMULATIONS...8 TO 12 INCHES OF SNOW.

* TIMING...LIGHT SNOW IS EXPECTED TO DEVELOP BY LATE WEDNESDAY

AFTERNOON OR EARLY EVENING. SNOW WILL PICKUP IN INTENSITY WEDNESDAY

NIGHT FALLING MODERATE TO HEAVY AT TIMES. SNOWFALL RATES OF 1 TO

2 INCHES PER HOUR ARE POSSIBLE FROM 9 PM WEDNESDAY UNTIL 5 AM

THURSDAY. THE SNOW SHOULD COME TO AN END FROM WEST TO EAST BY

MID TO LATE THURSDAY MORNING.

* IMPACTS...SNOW WILL CAUSE UNTREATED ROADS TO BECOME SNOW COVERED

AND SLIPPERY WEDNESDAY EVENING. THIS IS ESPECIALLY TRUE LATER

WEDNESDAY NIGHT WHEN THE SNOW FALLS MODERATE TO HEAVY AT TIMES.

IN ADDITION...THIS WILL BE A WET SNOW AND MAY RESULT IN A FEW

DOWNED TREE LIMBS ALONG WITH ISOLATED POWER OUTAGES.

* WINDS...NORTH 10 TO 20 MPH.

* TEMPERATURES...IN THE UPPER 20S.

* VISIBILITIES...ONE QUARTER OF A MILE A TIMES.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A WINTER STORM WARNING IS ISSUED WHEN AN AVERAGE OF 6 OR MORE

INCHES OF SNOW IS EXPECTED IN A 12 HOUR PERIOD...OR FOR 8 OR MORE

INCHES IN A 24 HOUR PERIOD. TRAVEL WILL BE SLOW AT BEST ON WELL

TREATED SURFACES...AND QUITE DIFFICULT ON ANY UNPLOWED OR

UNTREATED SURFACES.

&&

$

This run of the NAM and the 12z is pretty meaningless all things considered. If the 0z suite of meso's continues to show an eastward appendage maybe there's something to look at, but either way BFD.

The big thing is, look at the HPC graphic. If you lived on the NY/MA/VT border the change today IS a BFD.....

the low develops off the NC coast (the eastward extension) is a result of a convective feedback loop between the Bay of Campeche feature we discussed this morning and the heavy thunderstorms ongoing. It is a trackable feature on 700mb omega over the Florida Peninsula and off the US East Coast over the next 12 hours. Whether it actually remains consolidated enough to pull a ton of moisture off the coast and lower pressures in that area is the question. I wouldn't say it's classic convective feedback because there is an antecedent disturbance.

Well it cut QPF back decently up my way. I went from about 1.00" at 00z down to a bit under 0.50" this run...probably a high end advisory. It would probably average out to near a warning for my county with CON near 0.75" and > 10:1 ratios. Looks like nothing major up here barring a miracle, but any snow is good snow.

true story.

That's where the disputes start. If you live in NW MA, SVT, up by you...it was a big change. A 30-50% drop in coverage is big...and likewise the temp change just to my NW was pretty big. A day or so ago we were worried about mixing up to Boston on this model.

StormTotalSnowFcst.png

Looks identical to my map away from EWB :lol:

I like that general theme, I think they've hit the max areas very well.

the low develops off the NC coast (the eastward extension) is a result of a convective feedback loop between the Bay of Campeche feature we discussed this morning and the heavy thunderstorms ongoing. It is a trackable feature on 700mb omega over the Florida Peninsula and off the US East Coast over the next 12 hours. Whether it actually remains consolidated enough to pull a ton of moisture off the coast and lower pressures in that area is the question. I wouldn't say it's classic convective feedback because there is an antecedent disturbance.

Thanks that's my feeling exactly in the bold. Multiple times this winter I've heard the term thrown around, sometimes by me. In many cases "something" still ended up being there...and many times over the years I remember southern streamers having moisture robbed east by miniscule disturbances riding off the coast. IE, sometimes the convective issues result in not enough moisture being thrown west, sometimes it's real and robs moisture to be thrown west. We'll see how this one plays out.

Recall though that wasn't thought to happen on jan 12th either :snowman:

No it wasn't but we were starting from a higher point WRT dynamics. We already knew it would be a 12/9/05 precip shield and said that if it even stalled for 6h then it would be huge. This one certainly has some good potential, but we need a slightly closer tucked track of 5h to start entertaining amounts over 15"

one thing to consider with the EURO. it rarely seems to overdo QPF. maybe it will be wrong in this event but it has a pretty large swath of >1".

that might raise the bust potential to the high side inside of that BOS-ORH-PVD-TAN region

Also can consider that they set expectations at a certain level and allow totals to increase should this trend to a more favorable track or more juicy output. I agree with others that the met offices seem to want to avoid over-doing amounts since it seems more difficult to call a cancel after a storm is forecasted as being a huge hit. But rather they forecast strong enough that an increase to a higher amount is reasonable. Still think that we see a pretty wide area 10-15" and that it'll be centered a bit north of where BOX is forecasting.

Matt Noyes just said he's not changing his snowfall map at all with max of a foot in southern new england, he said the model depictions were so bad that they drew how they thought how the storm would go manually. Pete B on Ch 7 has a map very similar to Bostonwx except a max of 9-12.

This system will feel a lot like last Friday's when all is said and done. Probably rank as the #4 or #5 system in terms of impact/size for the entire winter, getting beat out quite considerably by 12/26 and 1/12 and again be tied with 1/21 and a few others TBD.

Obviously a great winter if you can rank a ~6-10" storm as #4 or #5 for the winter...probably the best or #2 event for more than 50% of winters, IMHO.

Strange they didn't extend the warning to other locations, if this is indeed their criteria:

"A WINTER STORM WARNING IS ISSUED WHEN AN AVERAGE OF 6 OR MORE INCHES OF SNOW IS EXPECTED IN A 12 HOUR PERIOD...OR FOR 8 OR MORE INCHES IN A 24 HOUR PERIOD."

... it (their selection of warnings) clashes with their forecast.

Well it cut QPF back decently up my way. I went from about 1.00" at 00z down to a bit under 0.50" this run...probably a high end advisory. It would probably average out to near a warning for my county with CON near 0.75" and > 10:1 ratios. Looks like nothing major up here barring a miracle, but any snow is good snnow.

That's my thinking..ens were a bit higher tho? We can hope for a heavy band that sets up inland or an overnight na

trend...certainlynot impossible...then onto saturday fun and a bobbie nxt week.

box raises wswarnings only for se areas, not a good sign for those of us to the west and there is little to no wiggle room at this point

Why is that not a good sign?

Confidence is heavily increasing that those areas indeed will see warning criteria snowfall, just b/c they didn't hoist warnings for the rest of the region doesn't mean it's bad...just waiting for confidence to increase to do so.

Strange they didn't extend the warning to other locations, if this is indeed their criteria:

"A WINTER STORM WARNING IS ISSUED WHEN AN AVERAGE OF 6 OR MORE INCHES OF SNOW IS EXPECTED IN A 12 HOUR PERIOD...OR FOR 8 OR MORE INCHES IN A 24 HOUR PERIOD."

... it (their selection of warnings) clashes with their forecast.

I think they are waiting till the 0Z guidance comes in knowing the watch will do the deed with the public.

Archived