Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
January 26-27 Snowstorm Disco V

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This might be true in that there could be a lull in qpf just off the Delmarva, but the NAM may have done that because of some convective feedback. It has nothing off the Delmarva during tomorrow aftn..like a 150 miles gap. I'm not sure about that.

i'm wondering if the issue (escaping precip) will even matter much in the end. given the amount of forcing and where it's tracking, even if the NAM is on target with ripping the precip shield in two, the UL energy alone should be enough to spread a good shield of precipitation up into a good chunk of SNE i think.

to me, this is where i think the euro has won the game. maybe the mesos will be right with the initial blow up of precip, but in the end, the vortmax track is going the way the euro said it would about 5 days ago.

maybe some of the "juice" is lessened and can't get quite as far NW as some of the more amped EC runs showed, but that's a very strong piece of energy with nicely collocated mid-level centers in a pretty good spot for SNE.

people should probably keep expectations in check but a good plowable event seems likely, imo.

i'm wondering if the issue (escaping precip) will even matter much in the end. given the amount of forcing and where it's tracking, even if the NAM is on target with ripping the precip shield in two, the UL energy alone should be enough to spread a good shield of precipitation up into a good chunk of SNE i think.

to me, this is where i think the euro has won the game. maybe the mesos will be right with the initial blow up of precip, but in the end, the vortmax track is going the way the euro said it would about 5 days ago.

maybe some of the "juice" is lessened and can't get quite as far NW as some of the more amped EC runs showed, but that's a very strong piece of energy with nicely collocated mid-level centers in a pretty good spot for SNE.

people should probably keep expectations in check but a good plowable event seems likely, imo.

nice post.

you thinking mostly S of the pike event at this time or more like S of route 2. regarding heaviest?

It only matters for those that thought this was another HECS/blizzard ala the 0z. It's a nice snowstorm. I suppose it matters more for those on the fringes NW and SE but for different reasons.

And I'd agree all the split does/did was take away the mega totals. The NAM for 2 runs now has signaled a very good hit coming in from the SW regardless.

Why do we keep perseverating over qpf details, nudges NW etc... on these NAM runs??

The key is not that the NAM trended NW, but rather that it continues to have that 2-piece sheared structure with a lead wave farther east that messes up the nicely wrapped consolidated low shown on the EURO... the 2 lobes of energy that Messenger has highlighted again and again. Unless the NAM changes in that fundamental way, these changes are not a big deal and eastern SNE is still in a 6-12" zone, less north and west.

Compared to the 0Z EURO monster last night, BFD.

I'm looking for a fundamental change at 0Z towards the EURO, not these messy shuffles NW.

Why do we keep perseverating over qpf details, nudges NW etc... on these NAM runs??

The key is not that the NAM trended NW, but rather that it continues to have that 2-piece sheared structure with a lead wave farther east that messes up the nicely wrapped consolidated low shown on the EURO... the 2 lobes of energy that Messenger has highlighted again and again. Unless the NAM changes in that fundamental way, these changes are not a big deal and eastern SNE is still in a 6-12" zone, less north and west.

I'm looking for a fundamental change at 0Z towards the EURO, not these messy shuffles NW.

The track of the ULL is very important and is what should be watched. It trended NW with that ULL track. Two piece precip shield or not, someone is going to get smoked if you get a potent ULL tucking just under LI....its not ideal yet, but it got closer.

Yeah one could picture the snow shield sort of blossoming or expanding ne as the forcing from the ULL takes over, and the LLJ increases. I was mentioning earlier how the mid level tracks argue for an expanding qpf shield later tomorrow...and perhaps one big arc of qpf if the euro is right. The gap in the precip is interesting because the strongest LLJ is with the WCB offshore, and the more dynamically forced qopf assoc with the ULL over the MA. The winds in the lower 6000ft or so are light just off the Delmarva and lack of a LLJ creates somewhat of a void in QPF. This may be due to the NAM placing the low closer to the convection and now we are left with a void of qpf east of the Delmarva. Eventually, the low divorces the qof and moves to a position closer to the NC coast where the better upper level forcing is. At this point we begin to see the 850 low develop and thus better inflow and expanding snow shield.

With that mid level track, I think there will be some great banding. Strong cooling aloft with the approach of the ULL and a sense of a 700 pivot over the region. I think some are worried about the gap, but it fills in extremely quick on the NAM, and like you said...doesn't really matter.

This run of the NAM and the 12z is pretty meaningless all things considered. If the 0z suite of meso's continues to show an eastward appendage maybe there's something to look at, but either way BFD.

The big thing is, look at the HPC graphic. If you lived on the NY/MA/VT border the change today IS a BFD.....

It's amazing how the Euro and it's ens. haven't budged for days and we've seen every other model play catchup..Some still not there. Some all the way there

I don't know why we don't throw all of the other models completely out and just use the Euro. :thumbsup:

oh, and I helped Jeremy Lamb find a classroom building yesterday and talked with him for a few minutes. Said he hates UConn lol.

take a chill pill dude...it's going to snow.

wah...I'm only getting 6-12"!

Archived