Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
January 26-27 Snowstorm Disco V

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The RGEM/NAM are furthest SE with the precip. The GGEM/NOGAPS/GFS/UK are further NW. Globals vs Regionals.

I ask this question hypothetically but haven't we always sided with the meso's in closer this year? What's the rationale behind the globals being more right....feedback in the regionals?

Euro is both a global and a meso per what Brian (dendrite) said a few weeks back..

His point was your overlay had UKMET more amped at H5 allowing the difference in qpf.

Objectively/subjectively was there ever a time when you'd say you'd use the NOGAPS/UK/GGEM for short range forecasting over the RGEM/NAM?

My point which was not even a big one is that at 42 hours that's about as good agreement as you'll get on an east coast storm. Both of those models have their biases, the fact that all of the Globals are NW and so far the regionals are SE is telling. That's the larger question.

Again pending the Euro.

Euro is both a global and a meso per what Brian (dendrite) said a few weeks back..

It has the resolution of a mesoscale model but it is not non-hydrostatic like the mesoscale models so its not nearly as prone to convective feedback. In a situation like January 12th, we had a compact bowling ball with all the features very tightly wrapped and a lot of convection near the center of the low...this gave the non-hydrostatic models a rare advantage over models like the Euro....in storms with larger circulation and lots of convection away from the center, the mesoscale models can really screw it up with convective feedback far the from the center and try to form its own new low.

That's the idea anyway. Who knows if it will work this time around, but my money is on the global models.

why does the only weather report i hear today ...(in the car) .....consist of "3" N and west of boston .....with a dusting to S . NH .....Fokkin B. burbank.....almost made me swerve across traffic lanes.

the other radio guy cuts in after barry was done....and says well are you watchin to see if this gets closer.....and then maybe we get more.....barry says yes we still have to watch the track to see "if another piece hit's us"

Please tell me this storm didn't turn into a scrapper for me.

It has the resolution of a mesoscale model but it is not non-hydrostatic like the mesoscale models so its not nearly as prone to convective feedback. In a situation like January 12th, we had a compact bowling ball with all the features very tightly wrapped and a lot of convection near the center of the low...this gave the non-hydrostatic models a rare advantage over models like the Euro....in storms with larger circulation and lots of convection away from the center, the mesoscale models can really screw it up with convective feedback far the from the center and try to form its own new low.

That's the idea anyway. Who knows if it will work this time around, but my money is on the global models.

That's a good explanation to those who do not understand the difference. I think it's tough for people to figure out why some side with mesoscale and in some instances, we don't. That helps.

BTW, going back to the convection and latent heat release that I talked about yesterday,,,check out the GOM right now.

Well, yeah, it kind of is. Because going D-3 when everything points to a foot or at least 8 is irresponsible. He isn't forecasting to Americanwx. He's forecasting to the general public. When they see D-3, they think that this storm is no big deal. No preparations.

Then when the afternoon met comes in the forecast will all of a sudden be 12 inches in N. Mass/SNH. This is the third day when, depending on the time of day, you get a completely different forecast solely because Burbank is too stubborn to change his forecast.

What type of preparations do people have to make? Stock up on bread and milk is this the 1900's lol.

Objectively/subjectively was there ever a time when you'd say you'd use the NOGAPS/UK/GGEM for short range forecasting over the RGEM/NAM?

My point which was not even a big one is that at 42 hours that's about as good agreement as you'll get on an east coast storm. Both of those models have their biases, the fact that all of the Globals are NW and so far the regionals are SE is telling. That's the larger question.

Again pending the Euro.

certainly...I used the UK a whole lot while forecasting in Bermuda with plenty of success. There's plenty of times where I think the NAM is just off it's rocker and wrong...doesn't matter what time range. I would look at it rarely in Bermuda...it wasn't worth even confusing myself with it's solutions most of the time.

Archived