• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
January 26-27 Snowstorm Disco V

Baroclinic Zone

Yes agreed...its not quite as amped up as the 00z Euro but its definitely more robust than the 12z GFS....he just proved it by overlaying the height field...you can see how the ridging to the east of the 5h low S of sne gets ripped NW into SNE on the Ukie and it doesn't on the GFS.

I didn't prove anything Will, you are really reaching. It's a 42 hour model depiction that I posted full well understanding what it showed not trying to prove a point one way or the other. Instead of speaking in vague terms I felt it best to post the actual maps and let the people here decide if at 42 hours a few miles was worth all the discussion. It's an exact overlay from the same source, it wasn't posted to prove points one way or the other. This is the UK and GFS we're talking about, it took the UK until 12 hours before the last big snow to figure out there was even going to be a big storm. I don't think it reinforces anything, and I look forward to seeing the Euro.

Don't worry. It makes absolutely no sense and his reasoning is crude at best.

"Here’s the deal. The precise path of the potent southern stream vorticity center is paramount to accurately forecasting how this is all going to shake out. The amazing continuity displayed by the normally reliable European model is creating consternation because it still is advertising a major snowfall closer to a foot plus. I am really torn because I am typically a faithful supporter of the Euro but I suspect that kicking from the northern stream is going to force the southern feature south of New England. With that said, an axis of lift does lift across the region tomorrow night and this matches up with the extrapolation of the moisture package. Consequently, at this time, I am sticking with my few to several inches of snowfall from this past weekend’s thinking. Specifically, I project 3 to 6 inches in the Boston area into southern Worcester County with 3 inches down to a dusting extending across northern MA into southern NH. On the flip side, there should be a strip of 6″ up to 8 or 9″ over much of Plymouth County into Bristol County into Rhode Island with a ribbon of 3-6″ across Cape Cod Canal onto the South Shore down to 1-3″ on the Cape after the rain turns back to snow there. A period of moderate to heavy snow is possible tomorrow night then it is a done deal and gone by dawn or just after. At this stage, I would be more surprised if a major snowfall materializes than if it misses Boston entirely."

How are people supposed to plan when WHDH says 10-15 for SNH and Burbank has a dusting???

He's one of the best. How dare he go against the Euro...doesn't he see the similarities between the UK and it? I'm joking everyone relax....tough crowd.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pretty amazing how far south this current light snowfall trended over the last few days.

I would be remiss if I did not point out how CT wins yet again today. How will it not with this storm? This is not sarcasm or me trying to be a fill in the blank. It finds a way every time this year. Maybe not yesterday's 18Z GFS win or the actual jackpot, but we are finding ways to get snow over here like it's 95-96.

You mean this?

Since 20" looks sort ot off the table from this storm, but this could push us close to the 1/31 record.

gfs_p24_120m.gif

Yep, that.

I never really thought 20" was ever on the table for the Wed-Thu storm anyhow; I was just hoping for a solid snow event (still not totally sold; bust potential remains).

I didn't prove anything Will, you are really reaching. It's a 42 hour model depiction that I posted full well understanding what it showed not trying to prove a point one way or the other. Instead of speaking in vague terms I felt it best to post the actual maps and let the people here decide if at 42 hours a few miles was worth all the discussion. It's an exact overlay from the same source, it wasn't posted to prove points one way or the other. This is the UK and GFS we're talking about, it took the UK until 12 hours before the last big snow to figure out there was even going to be a big storm. I don't think it reinforces anything, and I look forward to seeing the Euro.

He's one of the best. How dare he go against the Euro...doesn't he see the similarities between the UK and it? I'm joking everyone relax....tough crowd.

Why do mets only get scolded for going too high? Going D-3 NW of BOS in SNH is equally as bad and irresponsible as going 20-25 at this stage

Believe what you want.

Don't worry. It makes absolutely no sense and his reasoning is crude at best.

How are people supposed to plan when WHDH says 10-15 for SNH and Burbank has a dusting???

lol

Reading this thread makes one realize how forecasting weather in New England can be such a challenging science even for the experts.

No it isn't, not even close.

Well, yeah, it kind of is. Because going D-3 when everything points to a foot or at least 8 is irresponsible. He isn't forecasting to Americanwx. He's forecasting to the general public. When they see D-3, they think that this storm is no big deal. No preparations.

Then when the afternoon met comes in the forecast will all of a sudden be 12 inches in N. Mass/SNH. This is the third day when, depending on the time of day, you get a completely different forecast solely because Burbank is too stubborn to change his forecast.

Why do mets only get scolded for going too high? Going D-3 NW of BOS in SNH is equally as bad and irresponsible as going 20-25 at this stage

Harvey had almost nothing in SNH and I think nothing in SVT last night. I don't think that's irresponsible 24+ hours away if that's what they feel. They've been forecasting weather in Boston since back when a lot of the posters here were still crapping in their pants.

Believe what you want.

I just don't think at 42 hours it's worth that much discussion comparing the UK to the GFS. They're reasonably similar. I've never, ever seen a forecast here based on the UK. To me all that matters is it's similar to the GFS aloft, but closer to the NAMs surface low position which reflects a normal GFS fast bias which tells me a compromise will be the order. I don't take anything more from it than that, maybe you do but that's fine. EDIT...not a compromise between the GFS and NAM for the sake of clarity...a further WSW surface low, similar features aloft which would just mean a more expansive shield of precip.

I just don't think at 42 hours it's worth that much discussion comparing the UK to the GFS. They're reasonably similar. I've never, ever seen a forecast here based on the UK. To me all that matters is it's similar to the GFS aloft, but closer to the NAMs surface low position which reflects a normal GFS fast bias which tells me a compromise will be the order. I don't take anything more from it than that, maybe you do but that's fine.

His point was your overlay had UKMET more amped at H5 allowing the difference in qpf.

yup he mentioned it yesterday or the day before...something like "honestly it looks really good", then went back to discussing the situation at hand. Man it seems like we've always got another to look at after each event.

Yeah. Some years, when tracking a storm, it seems like you can already see the thaw before the first flake has fallen. This year, you can already see the next snowstorm.

Archived