Newest Member
    Monty
January 26-27 Snowstorm Disco V

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Burbank is going D-3 NW of Boston and 3-6 in the city. :axe::axe::axe:

I honestly have no idea what goes through his head. How some people can call him a good met is beyond me.

Does any guidance warrant D-3 nw of BOS that close in? Maybe he is sniffing something out with this or feeling it in his gut?

Barely. And not to do the same red herring deal you did with me earlier, you've said the UKIE is horrendous multiple times this winter. I think the mid levels are in very good agreement. Again, it's a good hard hit for a lot of people.

Yep, lock it up.

ughh whatever dude. I guess I can't mess around with you at all or else you get ****ty. You've been ardent about the NAM being terrible with run to run consistency for months.

I never said the UK was right either, just that it is more tucked in than the GFS...it looks in between the 12z GFS and the 00z ECMWF in terms of position to me.

ughh whatever dude. I guess I can't mess around with you at all or else you get ****ty. You've been ardent about the NAM being terrible with run to run consistency for months.

I never said the UK was right either, just that it is more tucked in than the GFS...it looks in between the 12z GFS and the 00z ECMWF in terms of position to me.

Yes agreed...its not quite as amped up as the 00z Euro but its definitely more robust than the 12z GFS....he just proved it by overlaying the height field...you can see how the ridging to the east of the 5h low S of sne gets ripped NW into SNE on the Ukie and it doesn't on the GFS.

D-3 for my area would really stink with a storm of this magnitude.

Don't worry. It makes absolutely no sense and his reasoning is crude at best.

"Here’s the deal. The precise path of the potent southern stream vorticity center is paramount to accurately forecasting how this is all going to shake out. The amazing continuity displayed by the normally reliable European model is creating consternation because it still is advertising a major snowfall closer to a foot plus. I am really torn because I am typically a faithful supporter of the Euro but I suspect that kicking from the northern stream is going to force the southern feature south of New England. With that said, an axis of lift does lift across the region tomorrow night and this matches up with the extrapolation of the moisture package. Consequently, at this time, I am sticking with my few to several inches of snowfall from this past weekend’s thinking. Specifically, I project 3 to 6 inches in the Boston area into southern Worcester County with 3 inches down to a dusting extending across northern MA into southern NH. On the flip side, there should be a strip of 6″ up to 8 or 9″ over much of Plymouth County into Bristol County into Rhode Island with a ribbon of 3-6″ across Cape Cod Canal onto the South Shore down to 1-3″ on the Cape after the rain turns back to snow there. A period of moderate to heavy snow is possible tomorrow night then it is a done deal and gone by dawn or just after. At this stage, I would be more surprised if a major snowfall materializes than if it misses Boston entirely."

How are people supposed to plan when WHDH says 10-15 for SNH and Burbank has a dusting???

I'm starting to care less about what actually happens with the storm, and more interested in the model war. We're between 30 and 36 hours before the snow *potentially* overspreads New England, and there is considerable uncertainty of what to expect (mostly north and west of ORH). The synoptic differences are rather small but lend to significant differences in impact obviously.

Huh? I'm pointing out you are accusing me of doing the same thing you just did. Chill a bit, past performance doesn't dictate future results. The UK may be nailing it, who knows.

All I'm saying is it's a reach to say the UK is dramatically different than the GFS.

Dramatically more amped than the NAM sure... (surface low is in almost the same spot though)

The GFS went east of the 0z run. I'm just mainly trying to figure out how some were figuring that's a positive trend towards the Euro. In turn, when the UK and GFS are pretty darn close for a 42 hour global scheme....I'm just wondering how we take away from one or the other at this point. Waiting for the Euro.

That's twice we agreed. You coming Saturday? I can drive if you want.

I'm afraid I'm hosting some old friends from out of town this weekend; else I'd take you up on that offer.

Anyhow, I love systems like what's depicted for Saturday. If it pans out like that, it'd have overachiever written all over it.

Huh? I'm pointing out you are accusing me of doing the same thing you just did. Chill a bit, past performance doesn't dictate future results. The UK may be nailing it, who knows.

All I'm saying is it's a reach to say the UK is dramatically different than the GFS.

Dramatically more amped than the NAM sure... (surface low is in almost the same spot though)

The GFS went east of the 0z run. I'm just mainly trying to figure out how some were figuring that's a positive trend towards the Euro. In turn, when the UK and GFS are pretty darn close for a 42 hour global scheme....I'm just wondering how we take away from one or the other at this point. Waiting for the Euro.

of course it is...because no one said that It is more tucked in at 36 hours than the GFS...in between the GFS and ECMWF. The maps you showed actually said as such.

Past performance does give more confidence in future results in the modeling world...this is not a lawyer commercial lol.

Anyone still paying attention to the GFS? The Saturday night clipper looks a little tastier than previously.

It also starts out very moist at the end of the NAM at 12z.

You mean this?

Since 20" looks sort ot off the table from this storm, but this could push us close to the 1/31 record.

gfs_p24_120m.gif

Archived