happyweatherforyou
    Newest Member
    happyweatherforyou
January 26-27 Storm Threat - II

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This has to be at least the 100th storm since the boards have been in existence where the GFS has done this..this is why it just adds more confusion than help to the end result.  Just think..if we didn't have this POS model everyone would be 100% sure this thing was coming gangbusters.  Instead the GFS huggers just look at it and worry that it's right.

How many times do we go thru this each winter until folks realize it's pure crap. Ignore it..don't use it

Correct! Back in the day, I worked with 3 models(baraclinic, baratropic and Limited Fine Mesh). Not saying that it was better then(of course not) but more is not necessarily better and ranking of models based on success needs to be taken into account; especially on a short term basis. Consistency of euro cannot be denied here and as ray said, the 12 z run is big..really big.

ed

This has to be at least the 100th storm since the boards have been in existence where the GFS has done this..this is why it just adds more confusion than help to the end result. Just think..if we didn't have this POS model everyone would be 100% sure this thing was coming gangbusters. Instead the GFS huggers just look at it and worry that it's right.

How many times do we go thru this each winter until folks realize it's pure crap. Ignore it..don't use it

Ugh.

We are actually allowed to talk about the models aren't we?

Scott wrote about it earlier the thread the needle scenario that the ENS are playing.

I guess the inland/west track is not yet off the table...coast runner etc. An extreme solution will win here I think.

Possible but given the rest of the guidance thus far, this would be waaayyy on the western side of current guidance.

You favor the GEM....can't say I agree.

No I favor either a track that does end up on the coast/inland, or an extreme solution over/outside the BM and probably not the canal/ack consensus we've had to this point. Just preliminary, at 4 days I favor nothing.

The euro ens, gfs ens, and others have been over the BM many times at this stage when lows tracked over ACK. and near ACK when they tracked over me. Doesn't mean it happens this time but the two sentences that Scott wrote earlier perfectly sum all of this up.

It still could turn the corner if things played out right, and all of these BM tracks are relying on a needle being thread.

I favor nothing at this point. But I agree with Kev for once that aside of these western outliers this is just business as usual in the leadup. The NOGAPS is over the BM, usually a good sign it isn't going way right.

Archived