Newest Member
    pl0k00n111
January 26-27 Storm Threat - II

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes.

My gut tells me it will try and be a little NW of current ensemble mean of most guidance right now. I might sleet for a time too, not sure. But its probably going to be a very juicy system with a ton of convection coming out of the gulf, so it might try and hug the coast a bit longer before turning right.

Hopefully despite that, it stays cold enough for all snow. The guidance has been keeping it a bit colder in the mid-levels for longer.

Damn..I was hoping you weren't going to answer that way

From ALB's discussion. MPM take note.

MODELS STARTING TO CONVERGE (AT LEAST GFS/EURO - CANADIAN STILL AN

OUTLIER ALTHOUGH TRENDING TOWARD THE GFS/EURO) ON BIG PICTURE FOR

THE MIDWEEK STORM...IN WHICH PARTS OF THE ALY FORECAST AREA MAY GET

A MODERATE TO HEAVY SNOWFALL...ESPECIALLY SOUTH AND EAST OF THE

CAPITAL REGION. WE ARE NOT READY TO HOIST ANY KIND OF WATCH...AND

WILL KEEP THE SNOWSTORM IN THE HWO...SINCE THE IMPACT PERIOD WILL

NOT LIKELY BE UNTIL LATE WED THRU THU MORNING.

BOTH THE 00Z GFS AND 00Z EURO INDICATE THE 500MB WAVE WILL BE OVER

ALABAMA AT 7 AM WEDNESDAY MORNING. BY 7 PM WEDNESDAY BOTH MODELS

HAVE THE 500MB WAVE CLOSED OFF OVER OR JUST WEST OF CAPE HATTERAS.

MODELS BEGIN TO DIVERGE WEDNESDAY NIGHT AS EURO IS SLOWER MOVING THE

WAVE NORTHEAST TOWARD CAPE COD WITH 500MB LOW JUST WEST OF 40N 70W

AT 7 AM THURSDAY AND GFS HAS 500MB LOW ENE OF CAPE COD. THIS

DIFFERENCE IN SPEED IS REFLECTED IN THE SURFACE LOW AS GFS MOVES

SYSTEM NE FASTER. WITH BOTH MODELS SHOWING STRONG DEEPENING OF

AROUND 20MB IN 24 HOURS...PREFER SLOWER EURO MOVEMENT. SLOWER

MOVEMENT MEANS MORE QPF FOR SOUTHEAST PART OF FORECAST AREA AND THIS

IS REFLECTED IN CURRENT RAINFALL/SNOWFALL DATABASE. THERE LOOKS TO

BE A LARGE GRADIENT IN SNOWFALL ACCUMULATIONS FROM SOUTHEAST TO

NORTHWEST.

THURSDAY...THE STORM STEADILY MOVES TOWARD NOVA SCOTIA WITH

ADDITIONAL LIGHT ACCUMULATIONS POSSIBLE DURING THE MORNING. WEAK

SFC HIGH PRESSURE BUILDS THU AFTERNOON IN FROM THE CNTRL MS RIVER

VALLEY...AND THE MIDWEST. THERE MAY BE SOME SCT LAKE EFFECT SNOW

SHOWERS WEST OF THE HUDSON RIVER VALLEY IN THE AFTERNOON.

FRIDAY THROUGH MONDAY A SERIES OF SHORTWAVES PROGGED TO MOVE ACROSS

REGION. TIMING/INTENSITY VARIES BETWEEN GFS/EURO SO HAVE SEEMING

NEVER ENDING CHANCE/SLIGHT CHANCE POPS ACROSS AREA. INDICATIONS ARE

THAT ANOTHER SHOT OF ARCTIC AIR WILL CROSS AREA SUN/MON...REINFORCING

DEEP FREEZE.

OVERALL...TEMPS ARE EXPECTED TO BE BELOW NORMAL...WITH PCPN ABOVE

NORMAL...DEPENDING ON THE MID WEEK STORM.-- End Changed Discussion --

Interesting that BOX's forecast is based on a blend that includes the 12z EC and not the 00z EC. I'm not sure why they did it that way--thoughts?

Contrary to popular belief, I have no question that a snow storm is in store here. That said, ALY's exuberance from yesterday afternoon's AFD has been replaced with a more somber approach. In other words, they are no longer mentioning yardsticks.

Interesting that BOX's forecast is based on a blend that includes the 12z EC and not the 00z EC. I'm not sure why they did it that way--thoughts?

Contrary to popular belief, I have no question that a snow storm is in store here. That said, ALY's exuberance from yesterday afternoon's AFD has been replaced with a more somber approach. In other words, they are no longer mentioning yardsticks.

:weenie:

When you are digging out from 25-30 inches on Thursday we can revisit this post

This is the type of system where you get 20+. Then again most are....

Its amazing that nobody in SNE saw a 20" snowstorm for about 4 years before we saw SE CT get it in Dec last year, and then Berkshires got one Feb of last winter....now this winter with the Jan storm. They seem to come in bunches sometimes. Hopefully this one can add to the list but there are still many obstacles to overcome with this system.

The interior will probably remain snow-starved, while Kevin to Cold-miser and ETaunton and other areas along the coastline cash in. Hopefully a few inches fall if not just to freshing things up for your area.

I'm going to start paying attention to who is writing over there. There is definitely a weenie with a flair for the dramatic. He probably just wasn't on shift last night.

The ensembles really try to bomb the low near the BM based on how it looks on MSLP. Hopefully that will lessen the flip to sleet for some.

I think Will is right, in that these srn systems are juicified and will probably try to hug the area near HSE and further north, until starting to make a right hand turn. That will help flood the mid levels with marginal air...that's kind of been my worry all along. The good news is that a) some models have ticked cooler in the mid levels like the euro...B) the surface temps are pretty cold..even for me. Hopefully this stays put, but I think it inches nw a little more. Hopefully not.

The ensembles really try to bomb the low near the BM based on how it looks on MSLP. Hopefully that will lessen the flip to sleet for some.

I think Will is right, in that these srn systems are juicified and will probably try to hug the area near HSE and further north, until starting to make a right hand turn. That will help flood the mid levels with marginal air...that's kind of been my worry all along. The good news is that a) some models have ticked cooler in the mid levels like the euro and B) the surface temps are pretty cold..even for me. Hopefully this stays put, but I think it inches nw a little more. Hopefully not.

I think Will is right, in that these srn systems are juicified and will probably try to hug the area near HSE and further north, until starting to make a right hand turn. That will help flood the mid levels with marginal air...that's kind of been my worry all along. The good news is that A) some models have ticked cooler in the mid levels like the euro and B) the surface temps are pretty cold..even for me. Hopefully this stays put, but I think it inches nw a little more. Hopefully not.

EDIT: that's supposed to be a "b" not a sun tan face.

I think Will is right, in that these srn systems are juicified and will probably try to hug the area near HSE and further north, until starting to make a right hand turn. That will help flood the mid levels with marginal air...that's kind of been my worry all along. The good news is that a) some models have ticked cooler in the mid levels like the euro...B) the surface temps are pretty cold..even for me. Hopefully this stays put, but I think it inches nw a little more. Hopefully not.

Please keep the sleet line south of me

Archived