• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    clydes6
    Newest Member
    clydes6
January 26-27 Storm Threat - II

Baroclinic Zone

wrt to the NAM this year its "power-house" period has been 48hours or less..

Agree...never thought I'd agree with you mre than once in a 24hour period. Perhaps Ryan's and my knowledge are seeping into your thought processes. (Even scarier if its true).

See Above, first reply

TO me GEFS looks a bit farther west on LP track and mean. Also of interest to me is that of the members that are west of the mean track most are VERY deep wrt to both the GEFS mean and the GFS OPS; ECEM seems to have similar soultions, i.e., members west of both the mean and OP are much deeper.

3 runs in a row on GEFS 850 wind anomaly now of -2 to -3 SD and PWATS +2 to +4. They too have decidely shifted more west across WNE and ENY.

Game still on IMO.

With regard to italicized point...I think it's more a function of you coming around to my reasoning and rationale

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does it really matter? I can not go off topic so I reread what you posted, a lot was jest to being weenied but it's cool.Sorry will not fool around again count on it. Someone unamed posted dynamics does not affect sleet. Enjoy your snow.

LOL relax, I didn't single you out..just a general comment. I appreciate the nice words you had earlier.

I believe on both of the last two storms some of the Euro runs were a little underdone. Especially on the first storm. The point is I wouldn't even consider the GFS very much at all at this point. I think sometimes at least for me the tendency is to think the that since the GFS is so far east, the Euro won't come any farther west. In reality, when the GFS is so far out to lunch it doesn't count for anything because it will just make a huge correction at some point. So I think there is a very good possibility the Euro will come a little farther west. Once the NAM and some of the hi-res models start to get the general idea correct then we can start to compare them to the Euro.

I could see this coming to about ACK, but I'm starting to doubt that it gets to the cape.

DT says rain into BOS?? based on Euro

‎84 hrs : the LOW is East of Salisbury MD by 50 miles or so... 988 mb maybe 986... western VA still getting hammered as is all of south central and ne PA into the LLower Hudson valley as well... r/s line NORTH of NYC...and has reached Bos +4C Norfolk to BWI to Millville to NYC to Martha's vineyard <LI class="uiUfiComment comment_1949665 ufiItem ufiItem">50514_129478830432717_7462094_q.jpg Wxrisk.com ‎90 HRS...Low moves NE... down to 980 mb. Precip has gone over to HEAVY snow over PHL and all of se PA and all of NJ NYC still snowing over eastern 25% of PA and ne PA .. BOS is rain HEAVY snow over Lower Hudson Valley all of CT southern VT southern half of.... moving into sw Maine 70686_1602765258_5871147_q.jpg <LI class="uiUfiComment comment_1949666 ufiItem ufiItem">50514_129478830432717_7462094_q.jpg <LI class="uiUfiComment comment_1949667 ufiItem ufiItem">Wxrisk.com at 96 hrs still .Moderate snow over New England but heavy over much of maine

DT has no clue up here....he is always way off.

He focuses on the ma and just gives ne a cursory glance, I think.

ALB writes the AFD totally naked and recommends anyone reading this loses their pants as well

WEDNESDAY NIGHT...THE ECMWF CLOSES THE H500 TROUGH OFF NEAR THE

DELMARVA EARLY IN THE EVENING. RAPID CYCLOGENESIS OCCURS SOUTHEAST

OF KACY...AS THE CYCLONE DEEPENS TO 980 HPA. STRONG QG LIFT OCCURS

IN THE NW QUADRANT OF THE CYCLONE ACROSS MOST THE FCST AREA. THE ECMWF

INDICATES POTENTIAL MESOSCALE BANDING DUE TO STRONG MID LEVEL 2D

PETERRSON FRONTOGENESIS ALONG A SRN VT...CAPITAL REGION...NRN

CATSKILLS AXIS. IF THIS DOES OCCUR...THEN SEVERAL INCHES OF THE

WHITE STUFF IN A HOUR COULD BE POSSIBLE...AS DOCUMENTED IN CSTAR

RESEARCH BY NOVAK AT ALL. THE BOTTOM LINE...PORTIONS OF THE FCST

AREA...MAY NEED THERE YARD STICKS. THERE COULD BE A TREMENDOUS

GRADIENT ON SNOWFALL ACCUMULATIONS. WE ARE NOT EXPECTING ANY MIX AT

THIS TIME...AS THE SFC WAVE JUST SOUTH OF KACK. LOW LEVEL EASTERLY

WIND ANOMALIES ARE 2 TO 3 STANDARD DEVIATIONS GREATER THAN NORMAL

ADVECTING IN LARGE AMOUNTS OF ATLANTIC MOISTURE.

THAT is totally awesome to see!!!!!!!!!!!1

Meanwhile, light snow 10.1

The AlB AFD is well written and explains their interpretation very well.

THERE CONTINUES TO BE AN INTRIGUING DISPARITY BETWEEN THE

INTERNATIONAL OPERATIONAL MODEL GUIDANCE AND THE NCEP MODEL SUITE IN

THE EVOLUTION...AND TRACK OF THE MIDWEEK MILLER TYPE-A WINTER

COASTAL STORM. WE ARE GOING TO BE FOLLOWING THE 00Z AND 12Z

ECMWF...LATEST GLOBAL ENSEMBLE MEAN...AND HPC FOR THE TRACK OF THIS

POTENTIAL WINTER STORM...MAY WHICH THE ALY FORECAST AREA GET A

MODERATE TO HEAVY SNOWFALL...ESPECIALLY FROM THE CAPITAL

REGION...NRN CATSKILLS...AND SRN VT SOUTH. WE ARE NOT READY TO

HOIST ANY KIND OF WATCH...AND WILL KEEP THE SNOWSTORM IN THE

HWO...SINCE THE IMPACT PERIOD WILL NOT LIKELY BE UNTIL LATE WED THRU

THU MORNING.

THE 12Z GFS AND NAM INDICATE THE WAVE WILL MOVE ALONG THE MID

ATLANTIC COASTLINE AND SHIFT E/NE OUT TO SEA WITH A RATHER STRONG

H500 NRN STREAM LONGWAVE TROUGH MOVING THE CYCLONE OUT TO SEA.

HOWEVER...SEVERAL GLOBAL ENSEMBLE MEMBERS...AND THE GEFS MEAN ARE

WEST OF THE OPERATIONAL RUN...CLOSER TO COASTLINE...AND INSIDE THE

40N/70W BENCHMARK WED NIGHT. THE CANADIAN GGEM FAVORS AN INLAND

RUNNER TRACK THAT HAS THE SFC WAVE INITIALLY MOVE WEST OF THE

APPALACHIAN MTNS FROM ALABAMA...BUT THE ENERGY SHIFTS EAST OF THE

MTNS WED PM...BUT HUGS THE COAST CLOSER WITH COPIOUS AMOUNTS OF QPF

LATE WED INTO THU. THIS LOOKS A LITTLE OVERDONE...SINCE ITS 00Z RUN

WAS REALLY CLOSE TO THE ECMWF. THIS STORM BEARS WATCHING...AND HERE

ARE SOME OF THE SPECIFIC DETAILS.

ALB writes the AFD totally naked and recommends anyone reading this loses their pants as well

WEDNESDAY NIGHT...THE ECMWF CLOSES THE H500 TROUGH OFF NEAR THE

DELMARVA EARLY IN THE EVENING. RAPID CYCLOGENESIS OCCURS SOUTHEAST

OF KACY...AS THE CYCLONE DEEPENS TO 980 HPA. STRONG QG LIFT OCCURS

IN THE NW QUADRANT OF THE CYCLONE ACROSS MOST THE FCST AREA. THE ECMWF

INDICATES POTENTIAL MESOSCALE BANDING DUE TO STRONG MID LEVEL 2D

PETERRSON FRONTOGENESIS ALONG A SRN VT...CAPITAL REGION...NRN

CATSKILLS AXIS. IF THIS DOES OCCUR...THEN SEVERAL INCHES OF THE

WHITE STUFF IN A HOUR COULD BE POSSIBLE...AS DOCUMENTED IN CSTAR

RESEARCH BY NOVAK AT ALL. THE BOTTOM LINE...PORTIONS OF THE FCST

AREA...MAY NEED THERE YARD STICKS. THERE COULD BE A TREMENDOUS

GRADIENT ON SNOWFALL ACCUMULATIONS. WE ARE NOT EXPECTING ANY MIX AT

THIS TIME...AS THE SFC WAVE JUST SOUTH OF KACK. LOW LEVEL EASTERLY

WIND ANOMALIES ARE 2 TO 3 STANDARD DEVIATIONS GREATER THAN NORMAL

ADVECTING IN LARGE AMOUNTS OF ATLANTIC MOISTURE.

This is what I was telling Mike when he was letting the QPF chart get to him.

It seems like there is an awful lot of hype in the general public about this storm. Its way more than I heard before any of the previous storms this year and this one could be less impactful...pretty strange.

It could also be very big, but there is kind of a fine line we're walking.

Indeed it is, Andy. It looks like ALY read your post from earlier today!

I think I've had a trace or better each day for the last week. 9* degrees and -sn here as well Mike, heavy dusting. We're sitting in a pretty good spot right now. Let's hope the EURO stays the course. 2 more cycles and I'll get stoked.

It seems like there is an awful lot of hype in the general public about this storm. Its way more than I heard before any of the previous storms this year and this one could be less impactful...pretty strange.

Funny you should say that because I've been hearing the same thing. A bunch of people asked me if we were going to get 30" of snow from this storm... I had no idea where any of that came from.

I think it's because there is a heightened awareness of the magnitude of the winter we are experiencing, thus the more and more of the general public are becoming weenies for a time and the media is catering to that.

It could also be very big, but there is kind of a fine line we're walking

Its probably because one of the Boston Mets said feet when he mentioned this storm the other day. A few people Ive talked to are expecting a two footer I assumed based on that forecast.

The public hypes everything but yes this is deff. true about this storm. At track yesterday people were honestly expecting 20". They were like "oh yeah another 20" on tuesday I heard?" The only reason for this I can think of is whdh as well as the wbz blog have both mentioned that areas that stay all snow could get 1-2 feet and rival the biggest storm this year.

I hope the publics hype is warranted and we do get 20". :scooter::weight_lift:

Funny you should say that because I've been hearing the same thing. A bunch of people asked me if we were going to get 30" of snow from this storm... I had no idea where any of that came from.

Megan was telling me that her students at school on Friday even....a whole 2 days ago....were asking/saying about how they could get multiple snow days out of this storm the next week.

I know it's early, our fire chief is overreacting I think. Does anyone think The connecticut shoreline gets anything other than a mixed bag of p type? Even if the euro was to verify? Thanks.

I think for the CT shore it's too early to be sure. I always count on, however, a large coastal bringing at least some mix. This year? Who knows?

Archived