• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    clydes6
    Newest Member
    clydes6
January 26-27 Storm Threat - II

Baroclinic Zone

You dont want to be near the mix line when it look like mix and rain wont be a problem, it will be. It would seem to be a bigger problem in some years.

The mix line not only has been somewhat poorly modeled as a consensus, but it's almost always ended up on the warmest side of guidance. It hasn't been magnified by these close gradient storms, but one coming out of the GOM...well might be a different story.

Every storm is different, the fact it happened several times in one year statistically means very little., especially when you are talking 35 miles.

That may or may not be true in this even time will tell, but I think if we look at the progged rain/snow lines as a consensus now versus down the road/at even time we'll find it's further NW.

The mean is ever so slightly less amped with the op, but it's fairly neck and neck initially. They really aren't that far off, but the ensembles move it out a bit quicker.There is a wide area of 0.10-0.25" QPF way back to the NW so there must be some decent spread in there. The inner contour of the mean LP is a rather large 992mb too as it passes the BM.

Struggle between the SE track and the coast hugger it seems.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Epic winter in progress. Around me, the icicles on homes are a sight to behold. I fear this is going to be known for the year of the ice dams! With more snow this week, that will exacerbate the problem, especially inside 495 where there has been more up and down of temps. Anyway, sounds like the trends are good for at least a significant storm this week. The trend is your friend, I guess!

I have some huge ones on the south side of my home.

Big winter/spring for ins adjusters

DT says rain into BOS?? based on Euro

‎84 hrs : the LOW is East of Salisbury MD by 50 miles or so... 988 mb maybe 986... western VA still getting hammered as is all of south central and ne PA into the LLower Hudson valley as well... r/s line NORTH of NYC...and has reached Bos +4C Norfolk to BWI to Millville to NYC to Martha's vineyard <LI class="uiUfiComment comment_1949665 ufiItem ufiItem">50514_129478830432717_7462094_q.jpg Wxrisk.com ‎90 HRS...Low moves NE... down to 980 mb. Precip has gone over to HEAVY snow over PHL and all of se PA and all of NJ NYC still snowing over eastern 25% of PA and ne PA .. BOS is rain HEAVY snow over Lower Hudson Valley all of CT southern VT southern half of.... moving into sw Maine 70686_1602765258_5871147_q.jpg <LI class="uiUfiComment comment_1949666 ufiItem ufiItem">50514_129478830432717_7462094_q.jpg <LI class="uiUfiComment comment_1949667 ufiItem ufiItem">Wxrisk.com at 96 hrs still .Moderate snow over New England but heavy over much of maine

I feel obligated to post this blog entry from HM...some of the stuff he mentions seems just wrong (for example, he says the clipper moving thru tues is a cold front when it will actually warm up temps, etc.)

http://www.accuweath...-map-update.asp

That is not HM..That is Henry Margusity who stuggles mightily forecasting the weather

ALB writes the AFD totally naked and recommends anyone reading this loses their pants as well

WEDNESDAY NIGHT...THE ECMWF CLOSES THE H500 TROUGH OFF NEAR THE

DELMARVA EARLY IN THE EVENING. RAPID CYCLOGENESIS OCCURS SOUTHEAST

OF KACY...AS THE CYCLONE DEEPENS TO 980 HPA. STRONG QG LIFT OCCURS

IN THE NW QUADRANT OF THE CYCLONE ACROSS MOST THE FCST AREA. THE ECMWF

INDICATES POTENTIAL MESOSCALE BANDING DUE TO STRONG MID LEVEL 2D

PETERRSON FRONTOGENESIS ALONG A SRN VT...CAPITAL REGION...NRN

CATSKILLS AXIS. IF THIS DOES OCCUR...THEN SEVERAL INCHES OF THE

WHITE STUFF IN A HOUR COULD BE POSSIBLE...AS DOCUMENTED IN CSTAR

RESEARCH BY NOVAK AT ALL. THE BOTTOM LINE...PORTIONS OF THE FCST

AREA...MAY NEED THERE YARD STICKS. THERE COULD BE A TREMENDOUS

GRADIENT ON SNOWFALL ACCUMULATIONS. WE ARE NOT EXPECTING ANY MIX AT

THIS TIME...AS THE SFC WAVE JUST SOUTH OF KACK. LOW LEVEL EASTERLY

WIND ANOMALIES ARE 2 TO 3 STANDARD DEVIATIONS GREATER THAN NORMAL

ADVECTING IN LARGE AMOUNTS OF ATLANTIC MOISTURE.

ALB writes the AFD totally naked and recommends anyone reading this loses their pants as well

spelling of "there" automatically questions thought process of the AFD

Too bad you'll be in your sleep dreaming about all the sleet you will wake up to with the current timing of the storm. :sleepy:

I really wish the GFS and NAM were on board..giving me a tiny bit of comfort.:unsure:

wrt to the NAM this year its "power-house" period has been 48hours or less..

The NAM and GFS missing are very comforting..if they were hits now this thing would be a HV runner

Agree...never thought I'd agree with you mre than once in a 24hour period. Perhaps Ryan's and my knowledge are seeping into your thought processes. (Even scarier if its true).

Hasn't been a storm including pre-Christmas where it wasn't leading the NW charge by this point.

See Above, first reply

======

TO me GEFS 12z looks a bit farther west on LP track and mean. Also of interest to me is that of the members that are west of the mean track most are VERY deep wrt to both the GEFS mean and the GFS OPS; ECEM seems to have similar soultions, i.e., members west of both the mean and OP are much deeper.

3 runs in a row on GEFS 850 wind anomaly now of -2 to -3 SD and PWATS +2 to +4. They too have decidely shifted more west across WNE and ENY.

Game still on IMO.

Archived