• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    clydes6
    Newest Member
    clydes6
January 26-27 Storm Threat - II

Baroclinic Zone

Man.... The SREFs are A LOT slower and look to be A LOT more west and amped up than last run.

Pretty Damn good NW run here...

compared to last run....

You know the storm is going to be a monster when the SREF mean is spitting out a 2" contour zone...

Try comparing the same time intervals next time.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Isn't Plymouth in somewhat of a snow shadow? Vs other areas along 93?

Jerry, Plymouth gets shadowed with downsloping in N/ NW events. I live 7 miles south of Plymouth and 800 feet higher. I do well with NE flow events as the land to my east is lower and air is being forced upwards onto my 1500 ridge. My main concern all along with this storm was to far SE to really get us.

I was up last night reading Scooters analysis of the Euro, by the way that Dr No stuff is so 10 , he pointed out reasons why this was a snow bomb not a sleet festival. Today we have Ray and KeV mentioning it in every post. I will stick with Scooters analysis, anyway we will see what the Euro brings but not expecting much change.

You guys have to be careful interpreting stuff. I posted that BOS may be mostly sn due possible dynamics and the euro maybe being a degree or so too warm. I never said it was a snowbomb for all. I guess I have to word everything more carefully because I don't want what I or anyone else says misinterpreted. People seem to do that a lot around here.

EC ens mean not far from the op through 78hr, but then the sfc low moves due ENE and over the BM by 90hr.

So how does that compare to the OP? "but then" implies it's not following the same track? Thanks Brian.

You guys have to be careful interpreting stuff. I posted that BOS may be mostly sn due possible dynamics and the euro maybe being a degree or so too warm. I never said it was a snowbomb for all. I guess I have to word everything more carefully because I don't want what I or anyone else says misinterpreted. People seem to do that a lot around here.

Sometimes for just entertainment purposes too.

I never read anything that you wrote where I thought it meant a snowbomb for all, figured I missed something private. Glad you clarified.

Good point. And just because someone comments on a model run (which is what we do around here) doesn't imply that is what we think will ultimately happen.

I was just emailing back and forth with a pro that doesn't post here for business reasons (not sure this person can per contract)...but anyway the person was saying just that. The seasonal trend may not be denied here and that we have no reason to think this is going to be any different this time.

When we had unanimous consensus among the globals/ens that the track would be near the BM to a position just SE of ACK the low ran up Buzzards Bay over the canal. When we had unanimous consent it would be seaward and miss back before Christmas at this range we got a 7-14" snowstorm down here. When we've had middle solutions/eastern Cape tracks, we end up with low tucking further west to our south which allowed the warmth in here.

The track record speaks for itself but most not living here are too busy shoveling to notice. One blizzard warning, and two winter storm warnings based on the preponderance of all the data medium to short range and the net result was a lot of wet not white because they find a way to sneak NW/warmer each time. Just food for thought, maybe this time is different but you and I have both been "on the fence" temp wise 2-3 times only to watch the r/s line blow by us in a flash. You don't want to be near the mix line with these models, every single time this year it ticks NW in tight.

[/quot

You dont want to be near the mix line when it look like mix and rain wont be a problem, it will be. It would seem to be a bigger problem in some years.

Thank you.

AWT.

I was just emailing back and forth with a pro that doesn't post here for business reasons (not sure this person can per contract)...but anyway the person was saying just that. The seasonal trend may not be denied here and that we have no reason to think this is going to be any different this time.

When we had unanimous consensus among the globals/ens that the track would be near the BM to a position just SE of ACK the low ran up Buzzards Bay over the canal. When we had unanimous consent it would be seaward and miss back before Christmas at this range we got a 7-14" snowstorm down here. When we've had middle solutions/eastern Cape tracks, we end up with low tucking further west to our south which allowed the warmth in here.

The track record speaks for itself but most not living here are too busy shoveling to notice. One blizzard warning, and two winter storm warnings based on the preponderance of all the data medium to short range and the net result was a lot of wet not white because they find a way to sneak NW/warmer each time. Just food for thought, maybe this time is different but you and I have both been "on the fence" temp wise 2-3 times only to watch the r/s line blow by us in a flash. You don't want to be near the mix line with these models, every single time this year it ticks NW in tight.

Every storm is different, the fact it happened several times in one year statistically means very little., especially when you are talking 35 miles.

Does it really matter? I can not go off topic so I reread what you posted, a lot was jest to being weenied but it's cool.Sorry will not fool around again count on it. Someone unamed posted dynamics does not affect sleet. Enjoy your snow.

Does it really matter? I can not go off topic so I reread what you posted, a lot was jest to being weenied but it's cool.Sorry will not fool around again count on it. Someone unamed posted dynamics does not affect sleet. Enjoy your snow.

Looks like we got the old man riled up....us ftw, you ftl.

Gotcha.

EPIC

So how does that compare to the OP? "but then" implies it's not following the same track? Thanks Brian.

The mean is ever so slightly less amped with the op, but it's fairly neck and neck initially. They really aren't that far off, but the ensembles move it out a bit quicker.There is a wide area of 0.10-0.25" QPF way back to the NW so there must be some decent spread in there. The inner contour of the mean LP is a rather large 992mb too as it passes the BM.

Personally I still think this tracks very close to or over the coast. There's not much blocking and this is an intense s/w so once it starts to develop there's not going to be much to stop the positive feedback and amplify this thing up the coast. Euro is damn close to doing that.

You mean like the latest ETA?

You mean like the latest ETA?

Yeah similar in track to that, but the Eta looks sort of funny later in the run because the low gets fairly compact relative to other models. More like a Euro/GEM compromise.. GEM likely way overdone but Euro could be under doing things a bit. We've seen the Euro do that a bit recently. GFS is just out to lunch so I'm not even looking at it until it gets a clue.

Epic winter in progress. Around me, the icicles on homes are a sight to behold. I fear this is going to be known for the year of the ice dams! With more snow this week, that will exacerbate the problem, especially inside 495 where there has been more up and down of temps. Anyway, sounds like the trends are good for at least a significant storm this week. The trend is your friend, I guess!

Yeah similar in track to that, but the Eta looks sort of funny later in the run because the low gets fairly compact relative to other models. More like a Euro/GEM compromise.. GEM likely way overdone but Euro could be under doing things a bit. We've seen the Euro do that a bit recently. GFS is just out to lunch so I'm not even looking at it until it gets a clue.

When...

Epic winter in progress. Around me, the icicles on homes are a sight to behold. I fear this is going to be known for the year of the ice dams! With more snow this week, that will exacerbate the problem, especially inside 495 where there has been more up and down of temps. Anyway, sounds like the trends are good for at least a significant storm this week. The trend is your friend, I guess!

Yea the ice jams are four inches thick on all my gutters, the house was making cracking sounds like a pond does . I am having trouble not bantering, habit.

When...

I believe on both of the last two storms some of the Euro runs were a little underdone. Especially on the first storm. The point is I wouldn't even consider the GFS very much at all at this point. I think sometimes at least for me the tendency is to think the that since the GFS is so far east, the Euro won't come any farther west. In reality, when the GFS is so far out to lunch it doesn't count for anything because it will just make a huge correction at some point. So I think there is a very good possibility the Euro will come a little farther west. Once the NAM and some of the hi-res models start to get the general idea correct then we can start to compare them to the Euro.

Archived