• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    clydes6
    Newest Member
    clydes6
January 26-27 Storm Threat - II

Baroclinic Zone

Ok guys, I just went back and read the back and forth crap from earlier (I got home right as the Euro was starting)...all I can say is keep that out of this thread.

This is a storm threat thread and senseless back and forth garbage is completely unnecessary. The thread moves fast enough as it is during a threat, so adding bickering and off tangent arguments is a real eye sore to those trying to follow the storm. Nobody even reported it, I just went back and tried to follow the convo before the Euro came out. We've been more than lenient in the past so you all have almost nothing to complain about. But we will not be afraid to 5-post anyone who wants to continue to test our patience.

Remember, you aren't the only ones here even if you post the most. Anyways, back to the storm at hand, but I just wanted to get that out there. We have an obs/banter thread...this isn't it.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Euro is advertising quite the widespread snowstorm beyond D10...huge signal and the setup has been advertised for 2 days now...and getting within the actual time frame it's showing the results. The hits just keep on coming!

dream year! :snowman:

somebody should just start copying and pasting these qpf maps lol

i cant complain, my snowpack is building 2 inch at a a time :lol:

It most certainly is if the warm layer is skinny. I don't have access to Euro soundings a heavy dynamic dump can give you rimed flaks that are part sleet but you'd never know it.

Yes the northern edge of the sleet line would be prone to being overcome by dynamics, which is always the case since in that area the warm layer is the thinnest as you mentioned above. But all that type of analysis really won't be useful until right near the event starts if its even warranted still at that point.

Yeah...they are tucked into the Whites and take a downslope from the NW-NE whereas a place like IZG is safe until it goes NNW-NW. I think Plym would still do well on the EC with the banding though.

Yea, the lift you get in a deformation band would negate any downsloping influence....ala Feb 2001 in the CT RV and the HECS last week.

Yes the northern edge of the sleet line would be prone to being overcome by dynamics, which is always the case since in that area the warm layer is the thinnest as you mentioned above. But all that type of analysis really won't be useful until right near the event starts if its even warranted still at that point.

Yep!

Any brief concern about a seaward track was smothered for now by the 12z. We're starting to see a more normal tightening of the thermal graident more common with a track to the BM ( but one that may start further west)....

All's well for a quick 0-2" before a change to non-snow, then a change back at the end down here.

how narrow is the sleet band depicted on the EURO? e.g., would ETauntonMA / cpick / messenger all be pinging (no rain)?

We may escape. But the bottom line even if we go sleet it's not for long. Verbatim Euro will certainly give us 6-12 and if we break just right...maybe more. I like the trend.

Ive been to Brookline and your hood and surrounding areas. I think you have more. I also think far distant interior is more you then jerry.

I know that...it bumps up when you hit about Woburn, but what Scott meant is that the immediate suburbs have more than Boston proper, which is why he said "distant interior of Boston"...

Ive been to Brookline and your hood and surrounding areas. I think you have more. I also think far distant interior is more you then jerry.

I never guestimate snow cover. To me, its' either deep or not. 22 vs 16 inches doesn't mean much after the storm passes in my eyes. But that said, I'd have to drive west to really get an idea. Next Saturday will be ideal because I'll come out RT 9 to the GTG and will go through Newton, Wellesley, Natick, Framingham, into ORH CTY.

We may escape. But the bottom line even if we go sleet it's not for long. Verbatim Euro will certainly give us 6-12 and if we break just right...maybe more. I like the trend.

alright that's what i figured; seems that the warm layer is W to E oriented (as opposed to SW to NE) so that may help us out, considering LP comes up and then shoots east

I know that...it bumps up when you hit about Woburn, but what Scott meant is that the immediate suburbs have more than Boston proper, which is why he said "distant interior of Boston"...

Okay got ya... but yeah some of the snowpiles in woburn where i dropped off a friend from BA was like quebec-esque. It was insane.

Cant wait to upload the pictures I took during my insane drive home during the storm friday.

Archived