clydes6
    Newest Member
    clydes6
January 26-27 Storm Threat - II

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The ULL toward the weekend digs a lot more S through the GL. We have another low forming off the coast and heading OTS, but it's way NW from the 00z run. It begins to feel the tug from the ULL and we get a prolonged inverted trough setup for ENE.

We're getting snow in a variety of ways. I think it would be great to include a several day stretch of light/moderate snows to this Winter's resume.

That pertains more to the ma imo.

I agree but obviously a more western track into/on the Jersey coast before a turn would have a big impact potential for the CP. It's interesting to me that a lot of pro's from NYC south here and on other forums think this is going further west for whatever reason/at least as it pertains up to NYC.

I agree but obviously a more western track into/on the Jersey coast before a turn would have a big impact potential for the CP. It's interesting to me that a lot of pro's from NYC south here and on other forums think this is going further west for whatever reason/at least as it pertains up to NYC.

It's all persective....down there it is a hugger.

What do have on the ground now?

I was about 36-38" in both 96 and 05 I think. 05 may have been a hair deeper.

About 20-21".

I hit about 30" in 1996....2005 wasn't quite that high, nor was 2001.

My area stinks for crazy depth because I'm too close to the ocean with not enough elevation for years like 2001 and too far from the ocean for years like 1994, 2005 and to a lesser extent, 1996.

General overview and thoughts (NH focus)...

Split flow, originating over the northern Rockies, extends across the midwest, and then converges to our south, underneath a deep cold upper level vortex (associated with the much below normal temperatures)

A disturbance in the flow will be diving out of western Canada, and splitting with the flow, with the northern energy sweeping across the upper Midwest, and the southern energy diving into Texas by Monday evening.

The northern disturbance will move across the Great Lakes Tuesday morning as it is damped (weakened) beneath the departing vortex. Weakening low pressure at the surface will move across southern Ontario, as high pressure retreats, yeilding return flow out of the southwest across the region. This will advect warmer temperatures northward, resulting in weak lift and a shield of light snow during the day Tuesday.

Expect light snow to move into the state from west to east between 5am and 8am. A couple inches of accumulation is likely by the time the snow wraps up Tuesday evening as winds veer to the west, ending the warm advection.

The weakened disturbance will not produce much in the way of cold advection upstream and thus our arctic airmass will be "tainted" and no longer "fresh".

Meanwhile, model guidance is in agreement on the southern stream disturbance amplifying and tightening considerably over the deep south Tuesday evening, with strengthening surface low moving out of the northern Gulf of Mexico, spreading a vast shield of precipitation across the southeast states. Model guidance is also in agreement that high pressure will be completely scoured out of New England by the northern disturbance and with minimal upper level confluence behind it, there is no mechanism to fight against the onslaught of warm air associated with the southern disturbance.

This is about where agreement ends and uncertainty begins. The problem lies with a number of disturbances in the flow upstream that will be moving through the midwest as our storm turns up the coast. The timing and intensity of the storm and all these features will dictate the track of the coastal low.

There is a fairly good consensus, barring model biases, that snow will move into the state from south to northeast Wednesday afternoon. The northwest extent of the precipitation shield as well as the precipitation type is more uncertain.

There are a number of possible senarios including even precipitation changing to rain (as incredible as that sounds, following this arctic airmass), or the storm heading out to sea, or a significant snow storm. At this point, I think the out to sea senario is least likely, and the potential for a significant snow storm is gaining more ground.

In all cases, precipitation will start as snow, triggered by overrunning warm air ahead of the storm. A light snow accumulation can be expected through midnight Wednesday night for at least the southern half of the state.

Extreme southeast NH toward the coast may have to worry about mixing with rain as prolonged easterlies advect warm air off the ocean. In addition, the extent of mid level warming could result in snow mixing with sleet into southern NH by Thursday morning.

At the same time, there is still some uncertainty on the northwest extent of the precipitation shield and there will likely be a sharp gradient in accumulations. At this point I would say the best chance for heavy snowfall lies from the Monadnocks into interior (central) eastern NH, where >6" appears most likely.

The upstream disturbances will sweep through the Great Lakes and Ohio Valley on Thursday, shoving the coastal storm and associated precipitation east, out of New England by midday.

This storm will be provided with copious amounts of moisture from the Gulf and Atlantic, and as the low deepens, this moisture will wrap into the cold sector (again, the timing of this transition is uncertain). The potential exists for significant snow accumulations ... somewhere in the northeast United States.

Parts of Brockton had just about 40" in 1996...over to the Whitman area.

Yep. There was a coastal that had a sick OES band , we had around 18-20" in N.A. which was great and we got into the banding, but that small Easton/Avon/Brockton etc area had 24"+ where it held on the longest and also a final ocean band moved through adding 2-6" which hit the S shore harder. TV mets didn't know what to say, it was supposed to be a 12-18" max deal.

Archived