BlueSkyGA
    Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA
Here comes February 2011

BullCityWx

• Replies 601
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was on I-40/85 earlier between Greensboro and Burlington and the rain rates were were maddening. I think the visibility was down to 100-150 ft. there for a minute or two. Very hard to drive in that! Fortunately, it didn't last long.

I see that KGSO recorded .33" of rain that hour (.42" of rain overall). KRDU got screwed out of this event, like usual, only recording 0.05"... axesmiley.png

Not much talk about Monday- good squall line will be timed for once to come through here in the afternoon. Expect at least some thunder, and cannot rule out severe wind gusts despite the weak instability current shown on the models, I will take a decent thunderstorm at this point and maybe we can squeeze out another .5" of rain or so,

Today's rain:

RDU .05"

GSP .09"

CLT .03"

Shelby .04"

This area from GSP to CLT and my area is around 5.5 to 6.5" of precip for the 3 month period starting December 1st...a very dry Winter here. Unfortunately, the next front looks about as dry for the Carolinas Monday. Dynamics will be weakening and a tenth or less is likely east of the mountains, while areas in Ga and west of the Apps are the recipients of much better dynamics. Situation is getting worse quickly now with drying winds and virtually no rain in sight for the Carolinas.

Today's rain:

RDU .05"

GSP .09"

CLT .03"

Shelby .04"

This area from GSP to CLT and my area is around 5.5 to 6.5" of precip for the 3 month period starting December 1st...a very dry Winter here. Unfortunately, the next front looks about as dry for the Carolinas Monday. Dynamics will be weakening and a tenth or less is likely east of the mountains, while areas in Ga and west of the Apps are the recipients of much better dynamics. Situation is getting worse quickly now with drying winds and virtually no rain in sight for the Carolinas.

I was surprised to see AVL only at 5.62 inches since Dec 1. It has seemed wetter than that.

... and while I'm typing, it has seriously cooled off. With the wind, it is the 1st day to feel like winter in a while.

Today's rain:

RDU .05"

GSP .09"

CLT .03"

Shelby .04"

between yesterday and today we had about inch and a half

between yesterday and today we had about inch and a half

yeah it always looked a lot better for nw of I-40 and around the edges of the Carolinas. The next event looks similar, with more around the edges. The ECMWF has trace amounts around the Triangle with .25" in CLT to GSP (which is probably overdone) and more toward VA and TN again.

post-38-0-10693500-1298716549.jpg

yeah it always looked a lot better for nw of I-40 and around the edges of the Carolinas. The next event looks similar, with more around the edges. The ECMWF has trace amounts around the Triangle with .25" in CLT to GSP (which is probably overdone) and more toward VA and TN again.

post-38-0-10693500-1298716549.jpg

I am ready for the paper plates and plastic silverware whenever I go out to eat this summer :axe:.

today is the 7 year anniversary of the big one. I was on the western edge of the good stuff, received 10" and it snowed nearly 24 consecutive hours but was a midday break. Its the last major snowfall that was forecast ahead of time and actually occurred....the only other major snow was somewhat underforecast and several major forecast snows didn't pan out. It was a dream snowstorm.

today is the 7 year anniversary of the big one. I was on the western edge of the good stuff, received 10" and it snowed nearly 24 consecutive hours but was a midday break. Its the last major snowfall that was forecast ahead of time and actually occurred....the only other major snow was somewhat underforecast and several major forecast snows didn't pan out. It was a dream snowstorm.

That was such an awesome storm!!!I lived in eastern Meck county at the time and we had 18".The night of that storm we actually had thundersnow and the rates were INSANE!!!!

17 IMBY, J burns 20+ miles or so up the road had 20. From 1993(Cullowhee) to Feb 2004 I was blessed with 3 sepearte snowstorms of 15+ inches. The more you get to expierence those big ones, the more you crave another one.

Recall that one very well. I remember Eric T saying someone would get 15+ inches of snow the night before and everyone in the channel 3 studio laughed at him. They weren't laughing when Rock Hill got 20+ inches. That was a well forcasted storm and a fun one to witness. Got 12 inches IMBY and still felt a little left out. Would have loved to be in the sweet spot for that one.

This takes me back to when I was just about to become a teenager. I kept a watchful eye on radar of the incoming system the day before it hit. The latest from the TV mets were expecting significant totals while the event unfolds. Eric Thomas in particular had to keep increasing his totals with each update and warned us that we could easily get over a foot. Needless to say, that verified for some of us (like my area) while an area just south of Charlotte saw a whopping 22" (I believe that was Fort Mill if I'm not mistaken)! One can only dream that we can get into that kind of excitement again. Perhaps if it happened again, you might get lucky with something over a foot Robert haha.

xoqpoj.jpg

Ahh yes the 2004 big one. I got an inch of snow that was so wet I didnt bother playing in it. It was almost brown snow from the mud underneath it. I drove up to north GA to find deeper snow but it was all the same. I didnt start following Eastern until later that year so I had no clue that parts of NC got hammered.

17 IMBY, J burns 20+ miles or so up the road had 20. From 1993(Cullowhee) to Feb 2004 I was blessed with 3 sepearte snowstorms of 15+ inches. The more you get to expierence those big ones, the more you crave another one.

Yes I did!! These 2 photos are exactly 2 hours apart. The last 2 hours of the storm. First taken 2004:02:26 23:37:55

orig.jpg

Next taken just after the snow stopped 2004:02:27 01:36:11

orig.jpg

That was such an awesome storm!!!I lived in eastern Meck county at the time and we had 18".The night of that storm we actually had thundersnow and the rates were INSANE!!!!

Where in Meck county did you live? I lived in Mint Hill at the time. Had just over 17" total. The thundersnow was awesome as it lasted a full hour during which I measured 4+ inches.

Not only did Charlotte set a record high for the day, it also tied the all-time record high for the month which was set in 1930.

RECORD EVENT REPORT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE GREENVILLE-SPARTANBURG SC

434 PM EST SUN FEB 27 2011

...RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURE SET AT CHARLOTTE NC...

A RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURE OF 82 DEGREES WAS SET AT CHARLOTTE NC TODAY.

THIS BREAKS THE OLD RECORD OF 80 SET IN 1996.

February 27, 2004 :snowman:

post-638-0-56412500-1298846275.jpg

post-638-0-25370200-1298846301.jpg

post-638-0-14215300-1298846319.jpg

Where in Meck county did you live? I lived in Mint Hill at the time. Had just over 17" total. The thundersnow was awesome as it lasted a full hour during which I measured 4+ inches.

I lived not too far from Mint Hill.I was off Albemarle Rd close to 485.That sounds about right with 4" during the thundersnow event.I had cleaned off the front steps so my husband could get in the house and not even an hour later the snow was piled back up on the steps.My daughter had just turned 2 a couple weeks before and the snow came up well above her knees.That was not a fun time for her.lol.

Not only did Charlotte set a record high for the day, it also tied the all-time record high for the month which was set in 1930.

RECORD EVENT REPORT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE GREENVILLE-SPARTANBURG SC

434 PM EST SUN FEB 27 2011

...RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURE SET AT CHARLOTTE NC...

A RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURE OF 82 DEGREES WAS SET AT CHARLOTTE NC TODAY.

THIS BREAKS THE OLD RECORD OF 80 SET IN 1996.

February 27, 2004 :snowman:

post-638-0-56412500-1298846275.jpg

post-638-0-25370200-1298846301.jpg

post-638-0-14215300-1298846319.jpg

The impressive thing was that it reached that temperature with periods of cloudiness. I think that kept the temperature down one or two degrees.

Archived