BlueSkyGA
    Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA
Here comes February 2011

BullCityWx

• Replies 601
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe some potential severe weather for some to look forward to early next week. :scooter::popcorn:

KBMX:

JUST LIKE WITH OUR CURRENT SYSTEM...FRIDAY`S SYSTEM WILL BRING

JUST A QUICK SHOT OF COOLER AND DRIER AIR TO THE SOUTHEAST FOR ABOUT

A HALF DAY BEFORE THE STRONGEST OF THE THREE SYSTEMS MAKES ITS WAY

EAST SUNDAY AND MONDAY. ALL INDICATIONS CONTINUE TO POINT TO THIS

SYSTEM AS HAVING THE MOST IMPACT FOR THE SOUTHEAST...MAINLY ON

MONDAY AFTERNOON AND EVENING. THIS SYSTEM CONTINUES TO STRENGTHEN

AND DEEPEN WITH EACH MODEL RUN...AND IS NOW EVEN SHOWING SIGNS OF

BEING FURTHER SOUTH THAN PROGGED...ADDING IN ANOTHER ELEMENT OF

BEING DANGEROUS. THIS ONE SHOULD SET ITSELF APART FROM THE

THURSDAY/FRIDAY SYSTEM AS WE WILL HAVE TWO FULL RECOVERY DAYS FOR

THE MODEST TO EVENTUALLY STRONG RETURN FLOW TO ESTABLISHES ITSELF.

EVEN THOUGH WE ARE AT DAY 6 AND 7 WITH THIS SYSTEM...I FEEL FAIRLY

COMFORTABLE IN INTRODUCING THE THREAT INTO THE HWO WITH A LOW

CONFIDENCE...FOR NOW. WILL CONTINUE TO WATCH THE TRENDS THROUGH

THE WEEK...SO IT WOULD BE ADVISABLE TO MONITOR THE WEATHER OVER

THE NEXT 7 DAYS.

Pollen count in Atlanta today is 703 (high is 90-1499), two weeks ago it was 7. Alder, cedar and elm are the main culprits right now. It's VERY early for counts to be this high.

http://www.daculawea.../pollen_new.php

Had to start my annual Claritin-D regimen yesterday. You would think after a cold two months it would take a little more than a few warm days for plants to become active again. The wasps have also came out as they were all over my front porch yesterday. One thing I do like about winter is the break from wasp, yellowjackets, and fireants.

I am looking forward to any chase potential as well should it materialize. I will be watching closely for sure :). I hope to get some good high speed lightning footage this year as now I will have the camera for the entire season rather then just the end.

I am looking forward to any chase potential as well should it materialize. I will be watching closely for sure :). I hope to get some good high speed lightning footage this year as now I will have the camera for the entire season rather then just the end.

Eyewall, experiencing any effects from the smoke from the wildfire in Cumberland and Bladen counties?

Eyewall, experiencing any effects from the smoke from the wildfire in Cumberland and Bladen counties?

No the wind has a northerly component so the smoke is being pushed away from my area. I did smell smoke yesterday though. Not sure if it was that fire or not.

Had to start my annual Claritin-D regimen yesterday. You would think after a cold two months it would take a little more than a few warm days for plants to become active again. The wasps have also came out as they were all over my front porch yesterday. One thing I do like about winter is the break from wasp, yellowjackets, and fireants.

Don't forget the mosquitos.

Liking the severe talk for Friday I am off so I could chase but it will most likely be fast moving stuff so we will see.

1am 63

2am 48

15 degrees in one hr is a pretty good drop. Been holding at 37 for the last 3 hrs so right now its about 30 degrees colder than this time yesterday.

Snow and 32 in Richmond. 39 in Greenville, NC. 70 here. Spring it is.

Significant interesting temperature gradient across the great state of North Carolina mid day.

30 degrees difference between Rawleigh and Chawlotte

Reminds me of the impressive 850 temperature gradient that took place with our last winter system back in the southwestern states. Unreal of the difference I'm seeing here! You would have to go from wearing shorts/t-shirt to pants/long sleeve shirt and vice versa. :lmao:

I stocked up on Claritin last week. I knew the pollen was high when my wife said I had been snoring. I only snore during allergy season. I also noticed the honeybees have ventured out in my yard. I always enjoy watching them and they work wonders for my garden.

I haven't noticed the pollen yet really, but I know it's coming and it's going to suck. Spring around here is miserable because of it. axesmiley.png

I don't know if I have ever seen such a quick transition from cold winter weather to almost late springlike weather here in upstate sc. It was cold one week and then the next week trees and flowers were starting to bud and we were appoaching 75-80 degrees. It really don't look like in the long range that really any type of winter weather is coming back. Usually it is much more gradual transition from winter to spring but, this year it was like someone turned the button to winter abruptly off and welded it shut.

I don't know if I have ever seen such a quick transition from cold winter weather to almost late springlike weather here in upstate sc. It was cold one week and then the next week trees and flowers were starting to bud and we were appoaching 75-80 degrees. It really don't look like in the long range that really any type of winter weather is coming back. Usually it is much more gradual transition from winter to spring but, this year it was like someone turned the button to winter abruptly off and welded it shut.

I've been thinking the same thing. It was as if a switch were flipped and it hasn't switched back....feels like full fledged Spring. Huge temp differences now, which actually showed up well from a week ago when the models toyed with northern NC and VA getting snow (and it did happen in VA). Impressive gradient. The good news is the rain on the way for some of us, but I'm at the southern edge of the boundary as well as the Upstate. Looks like I-40 across NC and points north are going to get hit from two systems pretty well, but we may just get a glancing blow as the cold front sweeps in over the next week. We're in desperate need of moisture in NC east of the mountains, and esp. here in the lee of the Apps were downslope winds have a double whammy effect (little precip + high winds=major topsoil moisture depletion)

I've been thinking the same thing. It was as if a switch were flipped and it hasn't switched back....feels like full fledged Spring. Huge temp differences now, which actually showed up well from a week ago when the models toyed with northern NC and VA getting snow (and it did happen in VA). Impressive gradient. The good news is the rain on the way for some of us, but I'm at the southern edge of the boundary as well as the Upstate. Looks like I-40 across NC and points north are going to get hit from two systems pretty well, but we may just get a glancing blow as the cold front sweeps in over the next week. We're in desperate need of moisture in NC east of the mountains, and esp. here in the lee of the Apps were downslope winds have a double whammy effect (little precip + high winds=major topsoil moisture depletion)

Tell me about it, we (station #19 Union County, NC) and surrounding stations, have had numerous calls for brush fires. People still want to burn things. Wind yesterday made it quite hectic.

I am thankful the winds weren't bad today as a unit in out apt community caught fire (if you are in the CLT area, you have or will probably see video it tonight. They didn't get any of the flames thanks to the quick response). Luckily the firefighters kept it contained to only a few apts, could have been much worse. I should have gotten video of the smoke billowing out, but was more concerned for my neighbors, which none were hurt. Anyway, sorry for that side story, just the first thing I thought of today is how lucky we were to not have winds like yesterday and over the weekend.

Another 80+ deg day here in the midlands.......*sigh*..........this is the way last summer started......a day or two in the 70's then straight to 90 the first part of March. :gun_bandana: :gun_bandana: It won't be long before the brown dust that insists upon covering my car is soon replaced with a beautiful yellow blanket :rolleyes: A sure sign spring has arrived here in the desert southeast :(:angry::P

Another 80+ deg day here in the midlands.......*sigh*..........this is the way last summer started......a day or two in the 70's then straight to 90 the first part of March. :gun_bandana: :gun_bandana: It won't be long before the brown dust that insists upon covering my car is soon replaced with a beautiful yellow blanket :rolleyes: A sure sign spring has arrived here in the desert southeast :(:angry::P

Don't give up yet :) The cold is just waiting for the dumb flowers to kick it in high gear...then wham! YOu would think, having been around for millions of years, the bloomers would have figured out winter's tricks by now. I'm dumb as a post, but I know what's coming, lol. T

Archived