BlueSkyGA
    Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA
Here comes February 2011

BullCityWx

• Replies 601
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The weather here in Savannah is conducive for another good walk today albeit actually a bit chilly. Skies are bright with some pretty cirrus/cirrostratus. Td is down in the low 30's. Temp.'s are only in the mid 50's, which is a good 7 or so below normal. Combine that with a

steady 15 mph breeze and we have a bit of a nip in the air. Regardless, it is another beautiful day here for an enjoyable walk.

That is just ridiculous but yeah it could happen unfortunately.

One of my most memorable weather week ever happened in Feb 1989. It went from warm to cold quickly and for those that dont think you can get a good snow on warm ground well ya can.

I remember on Tues 21st it was very warm and we had a tornadic squall line blast through and even had a death associated with it.

Then on Feb 24th this happened

February 24th 1989 – A total of thirty-three cities in the eastern U.S. reported new record low temperatures for the date, and an Atlantic coast storm spread heavy snow from Georgia to southern New England. Snowfall totals in New Jersey ranged up to 24 inches in May County, with 19 inches reported at Atlantic City. Totals in North Carolina ranged up to 18 inches in Gates County, and winds along the coast of North Carolina gusted to 70 mph at Duck Pier. Strong winds gusting to 52 mph created blizzard conditions at Chatham MA. (The National Weather Summary)

Now I dont remember the exact total we had here, but it was no less than 10-12" and I bet it was closer to 15-16". It was knee deep in places to me and I was 17 yrs old. Whats even more odd is there is very little info on this storm I dont know if it was east of I95 or if the rest of the state got in on it. Oddly RAH doesnt have it on their past event page which has details on much smaller events than this one.

One of my most memorable weather week ever happened in Feb 1989. It went from warm to cold quickly and for those that dont think you can get a good snow on warm ground well ya can.

I remember on Tues 21st it was very warm and we had a tornadic squall line blast through and even had a death associated with it.

February 24th 1989 – A total of thirty-three cities in the eastern U.S. reported new record low temperatures for the date, and an Atlantic coast storm spread heavy snow from Georgia to southern New England. Snowfall totals in New Jersey ranged up to 24 inches in May County, with 19 inches reported at Atlantic City. Totals in North Carolina ranged up to 18 inches in Gates County, and winds along the coast of North Carolina gusted to 70 mph at Duck Pier. Strong winds gusting to 52 mph created blizzard conditions at Chatham MA. (The National Weather Summary)

Now I dont remember the exact total we had here, but it was no less than 10-12" and I bet it was closer to 15-16". It was knee deep in places to me and I was 17 yrs old. Whats even more odd is there is very little info on this storm I dont know if it was east of I95 or if the rest of the state got in on it. Oddly RAH doesnt have it on their past event page which has details on much smaller events than this one.

It would be nice to see some good chase weather but I don't think that will be the case this week. We will have to see if another major shift occurs toward March.

Savannah had a rare 1" snowfall on 2/23-4/89 (from only 0.02" liquid per the record) and highs of only 46/43. This was the first measurable Feb. snowfall there since 1973. Interestingly, that was not to be the last Savannah measurable snowfall that year as a big one hit in December! Two days earlier the high was a warm 79. Seven days earlier on 2/16, the high was a toasty 86, which remains that day's warmest on record and is tied for the warmest of the entire meteorological winter with 2/26/1962's 86. What a wild, weird, wacky month!

I remember this storm also and like you I remember the warm temps before the storm. I was driving home from Louisburg College in the middle of the storm. By the time I made it back to Cary I had a headache from having to concentrate so hard on the road. It was like driving in a tunnel all the way home. That was a good storm!

Yeah, this was a strong upper low that cutoff over E TN and settled down into SC and into eastern NC. I remember StormFury saying there was thundersleet outside of Charleston. We had around 5 inches here. The storm brought snow to nearly all of North and South Carolina, and the northern 2/3 of Georgia. 7 inches in Aiken, SC, 4 in Columbia. Heaviest snow in NC was in the NE portion of the state - 18 inches in Gatesville, NC.

You can view the maps for this storm here:

http://www.meteo.psu.edu/~gadomski/NARR/1989/us0223.php

http://www.meteo.psu.edu/~gadomski/NARR/1989/us0224.php

Yeah, this was a strong upper low that cutoff over E TN and settled down into SC and into eastern NC. I remember StormFury saying there was thundersleet outside of Charleston. We had around 5 inches here. The storm brought snow to nearly all of North and South Carolina, and the northern 2/3 of Georgia. 7 inches in Aiken, SC, 4 in Columbia. Heaviest snow in NC was in the NE portion of the state - 18 inches in Gatesville, NC.

You can view the maps for this storm here:

http://www.meteo.psu...1989/us0223.php

http://www.meteo.psu...1989/us0224.php

Yeah this was the last time I can remember it thundering during a snowstorm, for about 3-4 hrs it was insane and I bet we got 6-8" of snow in that period. I would love to do that week over........:popcorn:

this looks somewhat interesting for NC...a potential ice signal here?

The GFS is much different looking than this but both models have a block in Greenland area around this time, as they hinted a while back, only the Euro is signaling that it has a displaced effect on the next storm. It doesn't look like a major block yet so the net effect might not be much in our area but its worth watching for a sneaky surprise in northern NC and VA I guess. Beyond that, the Euro has a change in the pattern it looks like to a colder and atleast wetter system toward the end of the run. We'll see. Also the extreme warmth has been shaved for NC for this warm up. I suspected the backdoor fronts will have an effect and that looks like it will prevent us from getting out of control warmth.

post-38-0-79570000-1297889958.gif

Even RAH this afternoon states the potential for colder weather early next week:

From Long Range

THE TREND...ASIDE FROM THE GFS...HAS BEEN FOR A MORE AGGRESSIVE

PUSH OF THE ATTENDING SURFACE FRONTAL ZONE INTO OR THROUGH CENTRAL

NC BY MON-TUE. GIVEN THE FARTHER SOUTHWARD SOLUTION...WHICH IS

FAVORED GIVEN AN EXPECTED SLOWER EJECTION OF WEST COAST TROUGHING

AND RESULTANT MORE PRONOUNCED DOWNSTREAM CONFLUENCE OVER THE EASTERN

US...THERE WILL BE A THREAT OF LIGHT ISENTROPICALLY-DRIVEN

PRECIPITATION (RAIN) IN THE SUN NIGHT-TUE TIME FRAME. WILL

ACCORDINGLY EXPAND THE SLIGHT CHANCE POP IN TIME (SUN NIGHT-TUE) AND

AREAL EXTENT (TO AREAWIDE) TO ACCOUNT FOR THIS (STILL LOW

CONFIDENCE) SCENARIO. WILL TREND TEMPERATURES DOWNWARD...CLOSER TO

CLIMO...BUT THERE IS A POTENTIAL FOR MUCH COOLER...BELOW NORMAL

TEMPERATURES GIVEN THE PROXIMITY OF VERY COLD HIGH PRESSURE ANCHORED

NORTH OF THE AFOREMENTIONED FRONTAL ZONE INVOF CENTRAL NC. IN

FACT...THE 12Z/16TH OPERATIONAL ECMWF SOLUTION...WHICH IS ON THE

EXTREME END OF THE GUIDANCE ENVELOPE...WOULD PRESENT A THREAT OF

FREEZING PRECIPITATION TUE MORNING. DRY AND COOL...UNDER THE

INFLUENCE OF HIGH PRESSURE...INTO THE MIDDLE OF THE WEEK.-- End Changed Discussion --

Even RAH this afternoon states the potential for colder weather early next week:

KHUN also mention possible return of Winter as we head towards the end of February.

SO...WHEN WILL WINTER REVISIT AGAIN? THE LATEST MED RANGE GUIDANCE

SUGGESTS PERHAPS NOT UNTIL THE END OF FEB WHEN A POTENTIALLY STEEP

TROUGH MAY YET AGAIN DEVELOP IN THE CENTRAL/EASTERN CONUS.

The GFS has a snow event in the Ohio Valley around 120 hours now like the previous ECMWF, but that model has now mostly lost lt. It stretches into VA with a 50/50 low keeping the low supressed through eastern Tn to NC, with snow to the north. Right now it could be just very weak to non existent but in case in comes back again on the ECMWF it may be worth watching in nrn NC or ne TN.

post-38-0-25593500-1297942236.gif

post-38-0-64100400-1297942267.gif

Robert, I'm glad to see the slim chance of snow and cold. I just watched Matts blog and he seems to think the same way you do with it being that far out. Again I want to thank you guys for doing a great job forcasting along with the PBP stuff when were tracking a storm. This forum is the best at keeping me up to date.

Thanks Again

Robert is there a chance this storm could over time be supressed a little further south like the Christmas storm was finally shoved south enough to give us snow. :snowman:

The GFS has a snow event in the Ohio Valley around 120 hours now like the previous ECMWF, but that model has now mostly lost lt. It stretches into VA with a 50/50 low keeping the low supressed through eastern Tn to NC, with snow to the north. Right now it could be just very weak to non existent but in case in comes back again on the ECMWF it may be worth watching in nrn NC or ne TN.

post-38-0-25593500-1297942236.gif

post-38-0-64100400-1297942267.gif

Archived