BlueSkyGA
    Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA
Here comes February 2011

BullCityWx

• Replies 601
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Warm temps, gusty winds, below normal rainfall, and relative humidities that bottomed out at 10% here. Welcome to the desert southeast folks! axesmiley.png

just another month of normal for here LOL.

FAILbruary in full force :gun_bandana:

This was bound to happen. The cold began around Dec 1st, so we couldn't really expect the full 3 months of Winter to be so far below normal, so it appears the last 2 weeks of Met. Winter will fall above normal, still we're looking at a very below normal Winter, but not as much as it could have been. I don't ever recall a solid 3 months of such below normal temps as we've seen, so I'm not surprised. Like powerstroke, I bet we have some serious freezes coming up in March though, but by then the plants will have thought it Spring for sure, based on how things look the next 2 weeks.

Looks like the trough is going to stay out west a long time, quite a while. Our southeast ridge will ebb and flow, so basically we'll be warm to very warm at times until the last few days of the month at the earliest possible pattern change.

Speaking of the April cold snap (Easter) it was 2007, also the driest year on record in many spots of the Southeast. A trace of snow was recorded at GSP and several inches fell in Ashevile to Boone that weekend. I had 2 mornings at 21 degrees.The temp at 850 got to -12 around here and -10 all over the interior Southeast, which would do January proud. The blooms on the Azaleas and Dogwoods and Bradfords got totally zapped, which was the first time I've ever seen all leaves get frozen and turned black. Ugly Spring, and it hit precisely at the perfect possible time here as everything was set to open up literally over the next few days. Not to mention it was followed by pitiful rainfall. 2007 was an awful year from start to finish here, in many ways.

The Family & I were on our annual spring pilgramige to the Florida Panhandle. We were staying in Navarre ( in between Pcola and Fort Walton ) at a close freinds place less than a mile from the beach. We got up Easter moring to the pinging of heavy sleet. It layed enough on their back porch that we were able to write Happy Easter. Needless to say it was not a warm week in FL that year! Our house sitter measured 3" in Weaverville. Many of the hardwoods didn't show leaves until mid june.

The Family & I were on our annual spring pilgramige to the Florida Panhandle. We were staying in Navarre ( in between Pcola and Fort Walton ) at a close freinds place less than a mile from the beach. We got up Easter moring to the pinging of heavy sleet. It layed enough on their back porch that we were able to write Happy Easter. Needless to say it was not a warm week in FL that year! Our house sitter measured 3" in Weaverville. Many of the hardwoods didn't show leaves until mid june.

I never knew it sleeted in Florida. Thats also a healthy snow in Asheville for April. I'm sure AVL isn't done with the snow yet. Here's my frozen Crepe's in the backyard that year. The picture doesn't do it justice. The tulip poplars had leafed out early and got frozen, so looking across the field at the forest they all made an ugly scene with brown everywhere in April, that was normally green. A lot of trees here have been the victim of suicide or homicide over the last few years, esp. in Summer when it doesn't rain for months at a time and its mid 90s. Always a crazy drive going from north to south in this county to see the difference in tree life every July and August.

post-38-0-44061000-1297737833.jpg

just another month of normal for here LOL.

This was bound to happen. The cold began around Dec 1st, so we couldn't really expect the full 3 months of Winter to be so far below normal, so it appears the last 2 weeks of Met. Winter will fall above normal, still we're looking at a very below normal Winter, but not as much as it could have been. I don't ever recall a solid 3 months of such below normal temps as we've seen, so I'm not surprised. Like powerstroke, I bet we have some serious freezes coming up in March though, but by then the plants will have thought it Spring for sure, based on how things look the next 2 weeks.

Oh I knew it had to give at some point as well and yeah this wasn't totally a surprise. It just sucks because if the pattern does shift back it will more likely mean cold rain than snow at that point given the time of year. The plant side of things is also pretty awful as mentioned in other posts here.

I never knew it sleeted in Florida. Thats also a healthy snow in Asheville for April. I'm sure AVL isn't done with the snow yet. Here's my frozen Crepe's in the backyard that year. The picture doesn't do it justice. The tulip poplars had leafed out early and got frozen, so looking across the field at the forest they all made an ugly scene with brown everywhere in April, that was normally green. A lot of trees here have been the victim of suicide or homicide over the last few years, esp. in Summer when it doesn't rain for months at a time and its mid 90s. Always a crazy drive going from north to south in this county to see the difference in tree life every July and August.

post-38-0-44061000-1297737833.jpg

Yes - it sleets here (almost every winter or two at some point), and we get flurries more often than is reported - b/c where I am is not a haven for weather newscasting. You can go 50 miles south and it's a once in a 30 year thing; 50 miles north and its really not an oddity, just a curiosity. All of FL is not Disney, Miami and Bush Gardens!!!!!

Yes - it sleets here (almost every winter or two at some point), and we get flurries more often than is reported - b/c where I am is not a haven for weather newscasting. You can go 50 miles south and it's a once in a 30 year thing; 50 miles north and its really not an oddity, just a curiosity. All of FL is not Disney, Miami and Bush Gardens!!!!!

I just don't recall anybody mentioning sleet that weekend in Florida. And I vividly recall posting on here that weekend, and the cold and the snow, some snow showers even close to here, but missed the Fl. Sleet.

Just guessing here but, I think Robert might mean just for that storm. I do agree with you their are several regions in FL with very different winter weather. Crestview is colder than Asheville on some mornings during the winter. What amazed me about our sleet was the close proximity to the gulf. On a unrealted note GSP has my low for tonight at 26° & at 10:05 I am sitting at 46°. I guess we could make it but it doesn't seem likely.

Just guessing here but, I think Robert might mean just for that storm. I do agree with you their are several regions in FL with very different winter weather. Crestview is colder than Asheville on some mornings during the winter. What amazed me about our sleet was the close proximity to the gulf. On a unrealted note GSP has my low for tonight at 26° & at 10:05 I am sitting at 46°. I guess we could make it but it doesn't seem likely.

My inlaws live in Pensacola. Back in the late 80s or early 90s they were trying to get my wife's grandmother to move down there from Atlanta because she was really wanting to get away from the cold weather. On her first visit down they got a big accumulating sleet storm. She was shocked but ended up moving anyway. When we go down to visit the one thing I can't stand is the morning mugginess and warmth. Even in our worst warm spells in summer the morning offers some relief. Down there I break a sweat walking to the road to pick up the paper. The afternoons are cooler but the humidity is brutal.

My inlaws live in Pensacola. Back in the late 80s or early 90s they were trying to get my wife's grandmother to move down there from Atlanta because she was really wanting to get away from the cold weather. On her first visit down they got a big accumulating sleet storm. She was shocked but ended up moving anyway. When we go down to visit the one thing I can't stand is the morning mugginess and warmth. Even in our worst warm spells in summer the morning offers some relief. Down there I break a sweat walking to the road to pick up the paper. The afternoons are cooler but the humidity is brutal.

Yeah, I stayed with family in West Palm Beach for a week last August, and never having been to south Florida in summer I hadn't experienced the awful humidity. It was 80 with 100% humidity at 7AM, and dewpoints stayed in the mid to upper 70s all day. Absolutely miserable.

It can def. get quite warm during the summer months there. Usually around 10:00 am-12:00 pm is the worst part of the day as the sea breeze has not started. In 2008 I was in Santa Rosa Beach & the 11:00 pm obs was temp 86° heat index was 103° :thumbsdown:

I did some digging & found this Short term forecast from NWS-Mobile for the Easter 2007 event:

SHORT TERM FORECASTNATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE MOBILE AL706 AM CST SUN APR 8 2007ALZ059>064-FLZ001>006-GMZ630-650-655-670-675-MSZ075-076-078-079-081400-COASTAL WATERS FROM DESTIN TO PENSACOLA FL OUT 20 NM-WATERS FROM DESTIN TO PENSACOLA FL FROM 20 TO 60 NM-COASTAL WATERS FROM PENSACOLA FL TO PASCAGOULA MS OUT 20 NM-WATERS FROM PENSACOLA FL TO PASCAGOULA MS FROM 20 TO 60 NM-MOBILE BAY-BALDWIN COASTAL-BALDWIN INLAND-COVINGTON-ESCAMBIA-ESCAMBIA COASTAL-ESCAMBIA INLAND-GEORGE-GREENE-MOBILE COASTAL-MOBILE INLAND-OKALOOSA COASTAL-OKALOOSA INLAND-PERRY-SANTA ROSA COASTAL-SANTA ROSA INLAND-STONE-706 AM CST SUN APR 8 2007.NOW...THROUGH 9 AM...SCATTERED PATCHES OF LIGHT RAIN...OCCASIONALLY MIXEDWITH SLEET PELLETS...WILL CONTINUE TO ADVANCE EASTWARD ACROSS EXTREMESOUTHEAST MISSISSIPPI...EXTREME SOUTHWEST AND SOUTH CENTRALALABAMA AND THE NORTHWEST FLORIDA PANHANDLE AS WELL AND ADJACENTCOASTAL WATERS. RAINFALL TOTALS WILL BE ONE TENTH OF AN INCH ORLESS. NO ACCUMULATION OF SLEET WILL OCCUR ON ROADWAYS...BUTSLEET MAY BRIEFLY ACCUMULATE ON OTHER EXPOSED SURFACES BEFOREMELTING.

The worst I ever remember feeling here in NC in the morning was back in the summer of 08 when the Pocosin Lakes Wildfire was going on and smoke was being blown to Raleigh. It was in the mid 90's with 65-70 dewpoints during the day that entire week. Couple that mugginess and stagnant air with the putrid smoke and weird brownish orange haze, it was nearly unbearable.

That being said, the wildfire danger across the Southeast is looking bad this week. Really need some rain.

I could really be a beach bum, flip-flops, swim suit, tank top, and beer and I'm ready to go! My parents live in Sarasota and have since the mid 80's, I love going down to visit. When I was a kid, we'd go to Florida every summer, many years at Riveria Beach near West Palm Beach. But if you want a great beach, go to Siesta Key Beach in Sarasota, always ranked as one of the best white sand beaches in the world.

The worst I ever remember feeling here in NC in the morning was back in the summer of 08 when the Pocosin Lakes Wildfire was going on and smoke was being blown to Raleigh. It was in the mid 90's with 65-70 dewpoints during the day that entire week. Couple that mugginess and stagnant air with the putrid smoke and weird brownish orange haze, it was nearly unbearable.

That being said, the wildfire danger across the Southeast is looking bad this week. Really need some rain.

We had a wildfire up in north Bartow yesterday. The highway signs were warning of smoke clouding the highway. On another traffic side note we had a truck hauling a cherry picker try and go under one of our low bridges in Emerson. Needless to say the bridge one and I had to take a 20 minute detour to get out of town.

I could really be a beach bum, flip-flops, swim suit, tank top, and beer and I'm ready to go! My parents live in Sarasota and have since the mid 80's, I love going down to visit. When I was a kid, we'd go to Florida every summer, many years at Riveria Beach near West Palm Beach. But if you want a great beach, go to Siesta Key Beach in Sarasota, always ranked as one of the best white sand beaches in the world.

I am with you Dacula! Throw in fishing for me also. Here is a great art. on all the gulf coast beaches in Fl.

http://www.drbeach.org/GulfCoastFlorida.htm

Here is part of that art. & the reason why I prefer the Panhandle beaches over any in FL.

St. George Island occupies the eastern flank of the greatest strand of white sand on earth - the panhandle beaches of Florida. From here to Perdido Key in Alabama, the sand is nearly pure quartz crystal. While most noncarbonated (noncoral) beaches are composed of 15 to 20 different types of sand, the panhandle beaches are like a bar of Ivory soap - 9944/100% pure. The remarkable purity of the Florida panhandle sand is related to its geologic history. Like most all beaches along the East and Gulf coasts, the panhandle sands came from the wearing down of the Appalachian Mountains, which brought an array of different minerals to the shore. But unlike other coastal areas, the rivers stopped bringing any new sand for tens of thousands of years. During this long period of time, wave action has ground the particles down to size. Quartz, being the most resistant mineral commonly available on the face of the earth, is the only type of sand grain left as the other minerals were ground down to dust. Not being stable on the high energy beach, these fine-grained sediments were transported and deposited offshore. What we find on the panhandle beaches today is quartz sand crystal at its terminal size, meaning that all the grains are nearly the same size (well sorted in geologic terms).

I never knew it sleeted in Florida.

I used to do a 3 day art show in Cola in Nov. and more than once we had sleet and snow during the show. Not accumulations, but sleet nonetheless. I loved it, but it sure hurt sales getting very cold and sleeting with flurries in Fla. :) And I'd come back home, and likely as not that sleet in Fla. was all I'd see for the year, lol. Tony

My inlaws live in Pensacola. Back in the late 80s or early 90s they were trying to get my wife's grandmother to move down there from Atlanta because she was really wanting to get away from the cold weather. On her first visit down they got a big accumulating sleet storm. She was shocked but ended up moving anyway.

Sounds like December 1989.

Looks pretty beautiful but dull for the next week- first chance of any real rain will not be until about a week from now as both Euro and GFS ensembles are hinting at a stalled front in the area, this is usually the only way to get substantial rain in a pattern with a strong SE ridge. Then it could get colder after that but I never trust the op GFS after 10 days and the ensembles are not as aggressive.

Grew up in Riviera Beach on 24th St., long time ago! used to walk to singer Island to swim.

Myrtle Beach is a pretty similar climate to Pensacola

Archived