BlueSkyGA
    Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA
Here comes February 2011

BullCityWx

• Replies 601
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh, come on...enjoy the warmth next week.

I think we still have some real exciting wx for late Feb early March for most of south north of I-20. The long term models are showing some blocking developing then.

The problem with these early warm-ups is it starts the process of wakeing up the fruit trees to early. I hate Feb warmth for this reason more than any. Once this starts it can't stop, you can only have the pace slow to a crawl if it cools back down, then speed back up during warm spells in March/April. I enjoy my peaches enough to wait a few more weeks for spring.

The problem with these early warm-ups is it starts the process of wakeing up the fruit trees to early. I hate Feb warmth for this reason more than any. Once this starts it can't stop, you can only have the pace slow to a crawl if it cools back down, then speed back up during warm spells in March/April. I enjoy my peaches enough to wait a few more weeks for spring.

yep and all azaleas and flowering trees and then.........................boom major frost and all gone. I hope it cools back down quickly before we loose all of the spring flowers

yep and all azaleas and flowering trees and then.........................boom major frost and all gone. I hope it cools back down quickly before we loose all of the spring flowers

Next week will get the ball rolling pretty quickly. Already I can sense a little swell in some buds on the Azaleas and the red Maples here, but only in passing. I'll look harder this week at the flowering trees and shrubs. Honestly it happens more often than not, where we get enough warmth, some stuff opens and then the inevitable freeze. However, if I recall, last year was picture perfect and the weather cooperated fully here. I remember it being one Splendid Spring season, and the temps were moderate, only slowly warming up, and never a real late freeze, unlike many of the previous years. I remember thinking how it was perfect. The only drawback was the terrible pollen...worst ever. But I lucked out on the allergy thing, somehow. I'm sure I'll get it this season though.

A few years ago we had a terrible April freeze and all the mature hardwoods like oaks/hickories/maples lost a lot of their leaves. Crazy stuff.

Next week will get the ball rolling pretty quickly. Already I can sense a little swell in some buds on the Azaleas and the red Maples here, but only in passing. I'll look harder this week at the flowering trees and shrubs. Honestly it happens more often than not, where we get enough warmth, some stuff opens and then the inevitable freeze. However, if I recall, last year was picture perfect and the weather cooperated fully here. I remember it being one Splendid Spring season, and the temps were moderate, only slowly warming up, and never a real late freeze, unlike many of the previous years. I remember thinking how it was perfect. The only drawback was the terrible pollen...worst ever. But I lucked out on the allergy thing, somehow. I'm sure I'll get it this season though.

In the 12 years of record keeping at our fruit farm, we set a record this year for chill hours. We are already over 1650 hours and we don't officially quit adding them up until March 1st. We'll definitely lose all of our apricots and low chill peach varieties this year. I'd be suprised if they aren't in full bloom after this 2 week warm spell.

Today, it was absolutely glorious here in Savannah. As a result, today's walk was very enjoyable. Skies were beautiful blue and temperatures were in the very comfy low 60's. TD's were in the very desirable high 20's. There was a steady albeit fairly light westerly breeze. There are no bugs or pollen in sight. Ahhhhhhhh.

I knew it would come eventually this winter and now it has. Red flag warnings and temps near 70.

Yep, and winds today could hit 30mph. We have 4 fronts coming through the Southeast over the next 12 days it looks like, and none of them will drop much rain in Georgia or the Carolinas. The one today, Friday, next Tuesday then a couple days later, and all of them look like totally dry or 99% dry frontal passages. Not good at all. We're already really dry in the Carolinas this Winter and now that early Spring type weather is showing up, we could use some good precip to get into the ground and help stave off the drying winds.

This sign is not good. We need as much "wet" action as we can get before Spring does get here... Work on that for us Robert :)

Also, I do recall the April freeze a few years back. WE had put in a new sliver maple that March...Well, the freeze hit and the bark just fell off the little tree...

Yep, and winds today could hit 30mph. We have 4 fronts coming through the Southeast over the next 12 days it looks like, and none of them will drop much rain in Georgia or the Carolinas. The one today, Friday, next Tuesday then a couple days later, and all of them look like totally dry or 99% dry frontal passages. Not good at all. We're already really dry in the Carolinas this Winter and now that early Spring type weather is showing up, we could use some good precip to get into the ground and help stave off the drying winds.

A few years ago we had a terrible April freeze and all the mature hardwoods like oaks/hickories/maples lost a lot of their leaves. Crazy stuff.

Remember that one. Charlotte set an all time record low for April. (21 degrees) Most trees lost their buds and had to start over. In laws actually lost a couple of huge oak trees from that freeze, but I think they were already weakened by disease.

Remember that one. Charlotte set an all time record low for April. (21 degrees) Most trees lost their buds and had to start over. In laws actually lost a couple of huge oak trees from that freeze, but I think they were already weakened by disease.

that was the 'hardest' freeze so late in the season i remember. its the first (and only time i remember) having the leaves and new growth of branches on oaks, maples, chestnuts etc. get killed and turn black.

sort of having winter withdrawals today....for the first time in ages nothing to track, no cold on the horizon, etc. :( not to mention i am noticing the earlier sunrise and later sunset...spring may be a lot closer than i had thought (mid feb). i figured at some point it would happen but was hoping it wouldnt be until late feb/early march. the models just dont look too good for more winter wx in the se for now. and if this holds a couple of weeks we will be out of the snow-chance and just into the cold spring rain routine

I planted my garden in late March of 2007 with 85 degree temperatures. A few weeks later I had trouble even finding my plants they were so shriveled. I think we hit 23 two straight mornings. Little did we know that the drought would be a one two punch that summer. I would love to look at the tree rings from that year. I imagine they will be really messed up and small.

I planted my garden in late March of 2007 with 85 degree temperatures. A few weeks later I had trouble even finding my plants they were so shriveled. I think we hit 23 two straight mornings. Little did we know that the drought would be a one two punch that summer. I would love to look at the tree rings from that year. I imagine they will be really messed up and small.

I remember that. A few inches of snow and low teens and single digits. No Easter egg hunt that year.

Wind is absolutely howling around here.

Not compared to Grandfather... CRONOS Station

Under a wind advisory here but that has not seemed to verify. Looking at obs from KCLT, winds have only been gusting to around 25mph. WInds have really picked up in the last hour here but I think my anemometer is slightly sheltered from wsw winds. I wish I could mount it in my front yard but I don't think the girlfriend would go for that.

I am sure it's been mentioned but the Euro sure does look warm and dry the next 10 days. Not even really a hint of cold or rain. The lack of rain really sucks.

Looks like the trough is going to stay out west a long time, quite a while. Our southeast ridge will ebb and flow, so basically we'll be warm to very warm at times until the last few days of the month at the earliest possible pattern change.

Speaking of the April cold snap (Easter) it was 2007, also the driest year on record in many spots of the Southeast. A trace of snow was recorded at GSP and several inches fell in Ashevile to Boone that weekend. I had 2 mornings at 21 degrees.The temp at 850 got to -12 around here and -10 all over the interior Southeast, which would do January proud. The blooms on the Azaleas and Dogwoods and Bradfords got totally zapped, which was the first time I've ever seen all leaves get frozen and turned black. Ugly Spring, and it hit precisely at the perfect possible time here as everything was set to open up literally over the next few days. Not to mention it was followed by pitiful rainfall. 2007 was an awful year from start to finish here, in many ways.

post-38-0-14954500-1297726333.gif

Archived