• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    pl0k00n111
    Newest Member
    pl0k00n111
MW/GL/OV February 2011 discussion

Hoosier

Yeah, the one that stands out for me was the f3 that went from Eastpointe to Harsens Island in 1983, as it hit a block from my Grandmother's cottage on the island. Of course this was a few years before I was born, but the pictures of the damage were really something to see.

Been a long time since there's officially been a violent tornado in Michigan. Only a matter of time...

• Replies 969
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sounds like you're going full weenie out this yr.. Prospects looking good for me :thumbsup: Be nice if we could get a good S. WI. setup and a couple I could drive down your way to meet you.

My area just to the south has been pretty hot.. nothing big though but Ill be happy to see any funnel cloud.

I would like to get some good video to sell this year...so expectations are high.

I'm always looking for a wingman though. Last year I was alone on most chases. I had tsnow12 along on a chase or two, but that was about it.

I would like to get some good video to sell this year...so expectations are high.

I'm always looking for a wingman though. Last year I was alone on most chases. I had tsnow12 along on a chase or two, but that was about it.

Moneyman can shack up with me this summer to catch lots of Brewers games, cut my grass and to be on chase call.. Between sending him out into the middle of corn and soybean fields (I'm very sorry farmers but we promise not to get stuck in your fields axle deep) and my love for pics and video's we should be gold. Alek has a cam and vid fetish, too, but he actually works 40+ hrs.

Been a long time since there's officially been a violent tornado in Michigan. Only a matter of time...

Yeah that's just it, looking back at the history for Southern Michigan, since 1950, there has been so many strong to violent tornadoes in Southern MI. But there hasn't been an F3 since 2001 I believe and there hasn't been a F4 since the 1977 Eaton Rapids tornado.

From 1953 to 1976 there were 10 F4-F5 tornadoes in DTX's CWA alone.

Moneyman can shack up with me this summer to catch lots of Brewers games, cut my grass and to be on chase call.. Between sending him out into the middle of corn and soybean fields (I'm very sorry farmers but we promise not to get stuck in your fields axle deep) and my love for pics and video's we should be gold. Alek has a cam and vid fetish, too, but he actually works 40+ hrs.

Speaking of Alek... I'm sure an Alek/Hoosier/'nadertony/chi wx chase would be quite interesting too.

Speaking of Alek... I'm sure an Alek/Hoosier/'nadertony/chi wx chase would be quite interesting too.

No doubt.. More the merrier.. We can use my dads down by the river conversion van and pack it full of sausage severe weenies.. We might need to hire a couple strippers to offset though if this is more than a day trip.

No doubt.. More the merrier.. We can use my dads down by the river conversion van and pack it full of sausage severe weenies.. We might need to hire a couple strippers to offset though if this is more than a day trip.

That would be a b*tchin' chase.

No need to hire...I know a few. Past relationships FTW. :guitar:

Yeah that's just it, looking back at the history for Southern Michigan, since 1950, there has been so many strong to violent tornadoes in Southern MI. But there hasn't been an F3 since 2001 I believe and there hasn't been a F4 since the 1977 Eaton Rapids tornado.

From 1953 to 1976 there were 10 F4-F5 tornadoes in DTX's CWA alone.

Seems like the 50's-70's were particularly nasty for the region. Some older ratings may be generous but certainly not all.

Seems like the 50's-70's were particularly nasty for the region. Some older ratings may be generous but certainly not all.

Yeah, of course since then the building codes have changed, thus buildings are being built stronger. So conservatively lets say 1/2 of them are generous ratings, that is still '5' tornadoes F4 or higher for DTX's area. A number of tornadoes that had hit back then in the Metro area, if they were to hit today would be hitting vastly more populated areas than what was there 30 years ago.

I really think this year we will all have our chances at being "backyard chasers"

You got more faith than me up here.. Maybe we can cash in early though with Nina still in effect and seeming to be maybe going more traditional.. I dunno.. Never do I suppose with weather and you guys know a lot more than my just gut feelings.

Yeah, of course since then the building codes have changed, thus buildings are being built stronger. So conservatively lets say 1/2 of them are generous ratings, that is still '5' tornadoes F4 or higher for DTX's area. A number of tornadoes that had hit back then in the Metro area, if they were to hit today would be hitting vastly more populated areas than what was there 30 years ago.

Tony has done some interesting research on tornadoes in the LOT cwa. After a period of decreased significant tornadic activity, it's like somebody flipped a switch back on in the past few years. I do think there are cycles but they are hard to understand or at least over my head.

I'd be that way with snow no doubt. But If I waited for a nado IMBY i'd die first.. and if I chased close to home by myself I'd either fail or make the news getting sucked up or being to close.

When I do go out (which isn't very often) I usually don't go more than 50 miles away. Came close on 6/4 of last year but it dropped one just before I got there and of course didn't produce again. I suppose I need to expand.

One thing that seems to be a theme ever since I started following weather events closer country wide.. Yeah I know a whole 3 or 4 yrs but it sure seems like I picked a great time to as it seems there have been a lot of 1:50 or 100 yr events occurring.. Or maybe its I just haven' t followed things long enough which is obvious and we're not in a extreme weather event pattern country wide.

When I do go out (which isn't very often) I usually don't go more than 50 miles away. Came close on 6/4 of last year but it dropped one just before I got there and of course didn't produce again. I suppose I need to expand.

At least you got LES to fall back on that's almost a guarantee every winter of one big one it would seem.. If I chased all the severe stuff that has happened within 50 miles of me, hell even 3-20 miles of me in the last 3 to 4 yrs I would not be a tornado virgin. I've had to much time on my hands and wish I could have donated it to you's that love to chase severe.

Tony has done some interesting research on tornadoes in the LOT cwa. After a period of decreased significant tornadic activity, it's like somebody flipped a switch back on in the past few years. I do think there are cycles but they are hard to understand or at least over my head.

Yeah I was looking at a couple things with respect to the weakening La Nina's and Spring time outbreaks for the region. The weakening La Nina would certainly play right into my idea of the active Severe Weather/Tornado season forth coming. Similar years being 1955, 1956, 1965, 1967, 1974, 1976, 1985, 1996 all had significant spring tornado events for the region, and those years all had varying degrees of La Ninas but all of them were weakening. Certainly something to keep an eye on as the similarities of weakening La Ninas and significant tornado outbreaks for the region are something that can not be ignored.

Stebo, I can see why you would have a good feeling about this spring after reading that last post.. I just think we might be trying to rush it up here to early especially if that pesky -nao AO (maybe that combo is finally dead for a while though) come into play later in march.. I kinna like the pattern going forward for active weather (could very well be the weenie in me trying to influence things to much) if we can avoid blocking, maybe keep a -PNA and keep any big storms cutting west?

Just talking out my ass way to late at night.

Still 42 and wind is stronger than ever.. Looks like I'll have to wait a while yet like always for a CF in winter.. Today has been brutal torch and this talk of chasing tonight has actually brightened my spirits.

Stebo, I can see why you would have a good feeling about this spring after reading that last post.. I just think we might be trying to rush it up here to early especially if that -nao AO come into play later in march.. I kinna like the pattern going forward for active weather (could very well be the weenie in me trying to influence things to much) if we can avoid blocking, maybe keep a -PNA and storms cutting west?

Yeah March might be early for the major severe weather, but not impossible, April would be the month I would certainly be watching. All I know is if the pattern that looks to take shape for the next week or so is any indication of how this spring could play out, things are going to be very very busy.

Yeah I was looking at a couple things with respect to the weakening La Nina's and Spring time outbreaks for the region. The weakening La Nina would certainly play right into my idea of the active Severe Weather/Tornado season forth coming. Similar years being 1955, 1956, 1965, 1967, 1974, 1976, 1985, 1996 all had significant spring tornado events for the region, and those years all had varying degrees of La Ninas but all of them were weakening. Certainly something to keep an eye on as the similarities of weakening La Ninas and significant tornado outbreaks for the region are something that can not be ignored.

Oh yeah, my guard is up this year. I was talking more beyond this year. I have some concerns that we're entering back into a more active cycle like the 50's-70's but there is a lot of hunch there.

Oh yeah, my guard is up this year. I was talking more beyond this year. I have some concerns that we're entering back into a more active cycle like the 50's-70's but there is a lot of hunch there.

Yeah, I think last year might have been a taste of how things could play out if we were to swing back into a more active period.

I just noticed LOT bump up high temps area wide for the next few days.

They're now going with 59F at ORD for Thursday.

ORD records in jeopardy...

.........Max High....Max Low...

16th...58F(1921)...39F(1998)

17th...60F(1880)...42F(1890)

I think the ones for the 17th look to be broken, maybe even shattered if Chicago ends up being sunny.

Archived