• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    pl0k00n111
    Newest Member
    pl0k00n111
MW/GL/OV February 2011 discussion

Hoosier

GFS continues to show a very active long range.

Was just going to say we all know how accurate the GFS can be in the long range but starting Wed it looks active until atleast march. I like the potential because with the lack of artic air, the storms will not be suppressed like they have been the last 2 months. Hopefully the SE ridge (better late to show up than never) wont be too strong and some kind of a block comes into play.

• Replies 969
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Was just going to say we all know how accurate the GFS can be in the long range but starting Wed it looks active until atleast march. I like the potential because with the lack of artic air, the storms will not be suppressed like they have been the last 2 months. Hopefully the SE ridge (better late to show up than never) wont be too strong and some kind of a block comes into play.

Yea. The long range looks very interesting. Most if not all of the storms chances bring us liquid precip. But it may change.

Snow pack taking a Ron Jeremy pounding today I suspect... I can't even look outside and refuse to lol.. Full sun, 40's and windy is just about as bad as it gets in my book.. Tomorrow I'll have excepted the meltdown fully and will be able to just shrug it off and look forward to suntanning and ice fishing all week with full mobility of walking or using the SUV instead of only travel with snowmobile... Winter hopefully comes back to at least the north woods late next week where lots of snow will be needed.

:lmao:

Easy to arm chair met and pat yourself on the back when sitting in your sad troll shoes but the real METS are just not going to go balls to the walls a week in advance even though they know that's probably whats going to happen with temps. AFD'S always start out conservative this far out so its no shock.

Even though this was a widespread temp bust today, you're right about the extended forecast. They always go conservative and lean toward climo 5-7 days out. They usually mention this in the AFD's when they suspect a large variation from climo.

with the wind today the snowpack took a beating. depth only went down from 12" to 10" but the piles and snowbanks actually went down more, if that makes sense. walking in it tho, its so dense its not funny lol. No

I'm a little confused about the wind. How does it affect the snowpack? Also, what melts snow the fastest? Bright sunshine, wind, or high humidities? From what I've observed during discussions, it seems that high humidity does.

I'm a little confused about the wind. How does it affect the snowpack? Also, what melts snow the fastest? Bright sunshine, wind, or high humidities? From what I've observed during discussions, it seems that high humidity does.

High humidities seem to do the most damage (ie, 50F with a dewpoint of 50F would melt heavy snowpack much faster than 60F with a dewpoint of 40F would). However, strong SW winds act to eat away at the snow, so winds + high humidities are a snowpacks worst enemy, moreso than pure airtemp.

Sure feels colder than 41 out there right with that wind howling.. Long sleeve t-shirt probably didn't help my cause. Almost busted my ass on the sidewalk as it iced up.. cement must really be cold yet as maybe the snow tunnel along the sidewalk blocked the sun from warming it up? Makes me sick how well the north side of the street holds on to snow.. Hardly looks like they took a hit.. blocked from the sw wind and sun ftw. Thursday and friday are going to be brutal and can't imagine we don't pop into the 50's. Was going to take snow depth measurements in the back yard right now but I didn't feel like climbing over the plowed mounds.. I'll just wait until the damage is done tomorrow afternoon and then tuesday morning should be able to walk on top of the glacier to get measurements. Not sure why i even care about the depth now as it will all be gone friday on my side of the road.

Had some running around to do today (STILL not fully better, been sick 2 weeks, but oh well life goes on and errands need to be done lol)...so of course I had the camera with me on this gross warm, windy day. As an avid picture-taker, I like to document the good, bad, and ugly of the weather.

Bow, did I miss your pics from snowmobiling, or not posted yet?

So anyway, here is my series from today, February Thaw.

2697-800.jpg

2698-800.jpg

2699-800.jpg

2700-800.jpg

2701-800.jpg

2702-800.jpg

Had some running around to do today (STILL not fully better, been sick 2 weeks, but oh well life goes on and errands need to be done lol)...so of course I had the camera with me on this gross warm, windy day. As an avid picture-taker, I like to document the good, bad, and ugly of the weather.

Bow, did I miss your pics from snowmobiling, or not posted yet?

So anyway, here is my series from today, February Thaw.

awesome pics man I especially love the sunset one. Snow looks great yet to there.

I'm having troubles on this old dinosaur PC I'm using as my other crapped the bed 3 weeks back - this thing can barely run a radar lol.. Took some pics this afternoon I was going to put up also to document the melt but no dice.. New PC we're building should be done in a few weeks so pics are going to have to wait until we transfer stuff over :(

Folks down here can be happy again because the snow is gone except for the shaded areas. Temperature is still in the low 50's. I think this warm up is going to be warmer than anticipated. I would not be shocked if we hit 60 everyday until next week maybe even throw a few 70 degree readings in there as well.

Quite a low level inversion here.

1ft above the snowpack it's 33F while it's 43F about 6-7 feet above the snowpack.

could explain why I almost busted my arse.

Car washes were silly packed today, well this evening still at 5:00. Can't imagine what the lines looked like earlier. I won't pay 10 bucks to have it dirty by the time you get home from all the puddles.. I imagine some peeps haven't washed them in a month or more so I can see why they would wait in line over an hr even if it does get dirty soon after.

could explain why I almost busted my arse.

Car washes were silly packed today, well this evening still at 5:00. Can't imagine what the lines looked like earlier. I won't pay 10 bucks to have it dirty by the time you get home from all the puddles..

Could also explain why the tops of the snowpiles seem to be melting faster too. Interesting stuff

Archived