• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    clydes6
    Newest Member
    clydes6
MW/GL/OV February 2011 discussion

Hoosier

I've had deep snow pack since early December. Same thing last year... Its something you just live with, although the vast majority can't stand it. I totally understand why so many people take vacations/move away from this area. If you don't have any winter hobbies, then sitting inside can lead to health problems, depression, etc.

I dont know if Id say the vast majority cant stand snowcover, its more like the vast majority think winter is way too long. The media is forced to make snow sound like a bad thing, and while a ton of people do complain, I actually find a lot of people who say they do like winter/snow, just that they are done with it now.

• Replies 969
  • Created
  • Last Reply

GFS has been pretty consistent in showing a storm between 216 and 240, after the first round of warmth has moved off to the east. The question will be whether -NAO emerges and helps lock that new batch of cold air in place as the system approaches, or whether the Pacific is dominant and the storm cuts.

Almost all luck as to which one wins out. As we know the models struggle with pattern changes. Hopefully we have a few more storms to rack. My gut is telling me that Chicago westward are the most likely to cash in. Might be a late November/ begin of December pattern. Is that normal to end the la Nina winters?

Almost all luck as to which one wins out. As we know the models struggle with pattern changes. Hopefully we have a few more storms to rack. My gut is telling me that Chicago westward are the most likely to cash in. Might be a late November/ begin of December pattern. Is that normal to end the la Nina winters?

While this Nina has been anything but normal...a normal way to end a Nina in SE MI is a stormy/snowy/cold March. There have been exceptions, that is just the rule.

SW wind downsloping off the Niagara escarpment really fooking with the precip here in Toronto. I've noticed this phenomenon a few times this winter but not in any winter previously.

Speaking of the Niagara escarpment, I had no idea that it extended so far back to the west. I wonder if it's referred to as the Niagara escarpment in Wisconsin?

800px-Niagara_Escarpment_map.png

Best almost 2 weeks of my life in a long ass time... Pack wins the big one and a 20" storm. Snowmobiling has been incredible with two days left to go before it could be over for the season on the trails. Got dad hooked on riding and the wife even loves it except she did get a little cold but next season we will have the proper clothes for her. Big winter coming next season.

For all you supposed winter weenies excited about the warmth I hope it pisses on you with 33 and rain the rest of the winter through april :P Rather I waited to March for the thaw and warm ice fishing but its actually what the lakes need to erase the 2 to 3' of snow on the ice in large stretches and by the time the thaw is over winter will set back in and March will be another go around at the greatest time on water/ice.

Was outside a short while ago and it feels like Spring out there compared to the last several weeks. We had a burst of snow showers early in the evening, and after that the temps rose from the upper 20s to 34. Must have had some sort of warm front come through. Almost feels like you can be out there without a coat on now lol. Can't wait for the 50s and 60s later next week! :thumbsup:

GFS fantasy land looking active and more like what we were thinking this winter would look like... Better late than never I guess but the battle ground is a little to close to these parts. La Crosse and north have a lot of winter and snow to look forward to yet me thinks.

upper 30's the first half of next week are going to feel hot.. Hopefully a little sun to go with it on the lakes to work on the face tan and Vitamin D.

Alright, I've had enough winter. Looking at temp forecasts for next week really did it for me. Current forecast has only Tuesday staying below 0°C for the daily high. :thumbsup:

A well deserved break from the miserably cold temps we've endured over the last six weeks. I've developed an itch for using the great outdoors for its potential! Walking, biking, lounging, camping! Snow is fun and all, but for every storm day there is fourteen frigid and depressing days.

Sorry snowstormcanuck, but winters got to go!

nothing like a 125kt H5 jet over me :)

Looking more and more like a pretty potent torch for northern Illinois and surrounding areas. I'm sure we'll have quite a bit of wintry weather following the warm up, but later next week will feel very March-like around here. I still think the QC and Chicago areas see 60 degree readings before it's all said and done.

I'm not one to post LR maps of storms but this one has been showing up now for a few days after the warm up late next week and the models are having some trouble as whether or not this thing comes out as a nice trof or cut-off low seperated from the northern stream and slowly moves east.

still far out but I'm guessing we might have another snow event to deal with for someone, the week after next.

Lets hope this warmup is a sign of what could occur this spring, if so, buckle up because it is going to be a bumpy ride

What I heard when I read that...

"Lets hope this warmup is a sign of what could occur this spring, if so, buckle up because severe storm season will be off to an early start"

But, I really don't know what you mean :unsure:

What I heard when I read that...

"Lets hope this warmup is a sign of what could occur this spring, if so, buckle up because severe storm season will be off to an early start"

But, I really don't know what you mean :unsure:

I mean it could be an early start but the bigger key would be the active pattern through spring is what i meant.

I found an interesting stat that the all time earliest 70F day at DTW was Feb 11, 1999.

We've seen these large warm ups before in Nnas.

Was it back in January 2008 when southwest Ontario and southeast Michigan were both under tornado watches? I heard a clap of thunder that day. Nina winter, too, right?

Going back through my records, yes it was:

SEVERE WEATHER BULLETIN
ISSUED BY ENVIRONMENT CANADA
AT 10:26 PM EST MONDAY 7 JANUARY 2008.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
WATCHES/WARNINGS IN EFFECT FOR SOUTHERN ONTARIO...

TORNADO WATCH FOR:
=NEW= WINDSOR - ESSEX - CHATHAM-KENT
=NEW= SARNIA - LAMBTON.

A SQUALL LINE OF SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS APPROACHING SOUTHWESTERN
     ONTARIO..

THIS IS AN ALERT TO THE POTENTIAL DEVELOPMENT OF TORNADOES
     AND SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS WITH LARGE HAIL AND DAMAGING WINDS.

MONITOR WEATHER CONDITIONS..LISTEN FOR UPDATED STATEMENTS.
     IF THREATENING WEATHER APPROACHES..TAKE IMMEDIATE SAFETY
     PRECAUTIONS.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
==DISCUSSION==
A DYNAMIC LINE OF STRONG TO SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS IS MOVING ACROSS
SOUTHEAST LOWER MICHIGAN AND IS FORECAST TO REACH THE WINDSOR TO
SARNIA CORRIDOR TOWARDS MIDNIGHT. THE MAIN THREAT IS STRONG DAMAGING
WIND GUSTS OVER 90 KM/H AND LOCAL LARGE HAIL OF 2 CENTIMETRES.
ISOLATED TORNADOES ARE ALSO POSSIBLE..THUS A TORNADO WATCH HAS BEEN
ISSUED.

Archived