clydes6
    Newest Member
    clydes6
MW/GL/OV February 2011 discussion

Hoosier

• Replies 969
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I enjoy the snowpack as well. The only reason I am happy about this short mid february thaw is because if for some reason we lost all of snowpack in southern and central minnesota all at once this spring the flooding could be very bad potentially. We need to get some of the water out of this snowpack slowly to prevent flooding.

I've had deep snow pack since early December. Same thing last year... Its something you just live with, although the vast majority can't stand it. I totally understand why so many people take vacations/move away from this area. If you don't have any winter hobbies, then sitting inside can lead to health problems, depression, etc.

I've had deep snow pack since early December. Same thing last year... Its something you just live with, although the vast majority can't stand it. I totally understand why so many people take vacations/move away from this area. If you don't have any winter hobbies, then sitting inside can lead to health problems, depression, etc.

yep its just sometihng you learn to live with

although for the majority its a major downer as you said

Increasing clouds should limit things from dropping too much more.

Yeah we started rising soon after I posted that. Was 15 by 7am, and didn't get another subzero. We've had 11 subzero days here this season.

Had light snow and flurries all morning. Decent size flakes, but it's not sticking at all. Should be the last snowflakes for at least a week to ten days.

Up to a balmy 12 at MSP though it's warmer just southwest of the metro nearing 20. A few spots in the sw portion of the state are cracking the freezing mark. This is the first winter in MN that I've started to believe that I will eventually move from the state because of the winters. It's not even the snow that bothers me(day 91? of snowcover here). It's the temperatures here in January and early Feb that just make me cringe every time I step outside. If it were snowy with temps in the upper 20's to 30's, I'd probably be fine with it. I'll take the occasional teens though the teens do feel a lot better after you have been consistently below zero like today. Count me as one of the many(maybe not on this board but pretty much everyone I know in the area) that is hoping for a late Feb and March like last year(no snow greater than a trace after Feb. 14 and no high temperature below freezing after Feb. 26).

NWS thinks we are going to get donged next week:

THE BIGGEST CONCERN FOR NEXT WEEK IS HOW WARM TEMPERATURES WILL

GET. THE LOW LEVEL RIDGE IS EXPECTED TO MOVE ACROSS THE MIDWEST

MONDAY WITH SOUTHWEST FLOW SETTING UP BEHIND IT. THE 11.00Z ECMWF

SUGGEST 850 MB TEMPERATURES COULD WARM TO AROUND 10C FOR THURSDAY

AND FRIDAY. 925MB TEMPERATURES COULD BE AROUND 5C OR WARMER FROM

TUESDAY THROUGH THURSDAY. THE CONCERN IS WHETHER THIS WARM AIR

ALOFT WILL MAKE IT DOWN TO THE SURFACE AND IF IT DOES HOW MUCH IT

WILL BE MODERATED BY THE SNOW PACK. THE GFS BUFKIT SOUNDINGS

SUGGEST THAT AN INVERSION WILL BE IN PLACE ALL NEXT WEEK AND NOT

ALLOW ALL THE WARM AIR ALOFT TO REACH THE SURFACE AND FULLY EXPECT

THE SNOW TO FURTHER MODERATE THE TEMPERATURES. THUS KEPT HIGH

TEMPERATURES IN THE 30S WITH LOWS IN THE 20S. NO SIGNIFICANT

PRECIPITATION EXPECTED BUT BECAUSE OF THE WARM AIR ALOFT DID HAVE

TO INCLUDE AT THE LEAST THE POSSIBILITY OF SOME FREEZING RAIN

TUESDAY NIGHT.

If this were May we would be in trouble..its going to get pretty active with a number of systems coming out as we head into late next week, 12z GFS showed a big snow event after 300hrs. Its not going to happen exactly that way but just the fact its showing it getting more active and a good length of time with zonal/sw flow, were going to have to watch both for snow and severe wx.

The NWS and local mets are definitely remaining conservative with their temp forecasts next week, although this morning a couple locals are finally getting more aggressive for Wednesday and Thursday with mid to upper 40s.

Ya I would assume they would wait and bit as we get closer and also see how the warmth and snowpack battle it out in the low levels.

inversion city, here we come.

The NWS and local mets are definitely remaining conservative with their temp forecasts next week, although this morning a couple locals are finally getting more aggressive for Wednesday and Thursday with mid to upper 40s.

Yeah they typically stay conservative until the WAA is well underway it seems. The combination of an increasing sun angle, and more importantly mild nights should melt the snow pretty quickly I think. I think we'll see 50s up to the I-80 corridor as early as Wed. By the time the strongest WAA arrives next Friday much of the corn belt will be completely snow free. If things work out as well as they look now I wouldn't be surprised to see Keokuk come in with a 67 or 68 next Friday. :popcorn:

Yeah they typically stay conservative until the WAA is well underway it seems. The combination of an increasing sun angle, and more importantly mild nights should melt the snow pretty quickly I think. I think we'll see 50s up to the I-80 corridor as early as Wed. By the time the strongest WAA arrives next Friday much of the corn belt will be completely snow free. If things work out as well as they look now I wouldn't be surprised to see Keokuk come in with a 67 or 68 next Friday. :popcorn:

Hopefully the Euro has the timing right. At 12z Friday the GFS has the surface low over central Iowa and through here by midday so we can't get much warmer than the morning low of 50, but the Euro has the low still in Nebraska so this area would get full heating Friday afternoon before the low/front passed.

Different strokes for different folks. Ive had snowpack since early December (save for a 4-day bare period Jan 1-4) and Im NOWHERE NEAR sick of it!

yeah, it was the most snow I've ever seen though. I'll always remember it, but the first 3 days were like "This is awesome" and by day 4, I was like.. ok it can start melting... Not really ready for Spring so kind of hoping we see another big snowstorm in March down here.

Archived