• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    clydes6
    Newest Member
    clydes6
MW/GL/OV February 2011 discussion

Hoosier

LAF bottomed out at -10. I believe that is the coldest temperature since January 2009.

You are correct. 1/15/09 (-12º) and 1/16/09 (-19º) to be exact.

COOP low temps across central Indiana from this IND story: http://www.crh.noaa.gov/news/display_cmsstory.php?wfo=ind&storyid=63896&source=0

Low Temperatures the Morning of February 10, 2011

Frankfort Airport...-18º

Knox...-18º

Rossville Spotter...-17º

Huntington...-16º

Young America 3 ESE...-14º

West Lafayette 6 NW...-13º

Warsaw...-13º

Crawfordsville 6 SE...-12º

Rensselaer...-12º

Hartford City...-12º

Tipton 5 SW...-10º

Farmland 5 NNW...-10º

• Replies 969
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That system/front looks like a slow mover with several disturbances riding along it which screams ice to me. A number of the euro ensembles DO have it as well. Something to watch anyways.

This is something I have noticed even moving into the warm up on bufkit, we warm above the surface but it takes a while for us to warm at the surface per the GFS.

This is something I have noticed even moving into the warm up on bufkit, we warm above the surface but it takes a while for us to warm at the surface per the GFS.

I think Harry was referring to the system the EURO is showing around 240. I can't imagine anything but liquid precip. with the system for mid-late week next week. SW flow scours the cold like a mofo.

I think Harry was referring to the system the EURO is showing around 240. I can't imagine anything but liquid precip. with the system for mid-late week next week. SW flow scours the cold like a mofo.

Euro just has a low down in Texas at 240 hours. Nothing really over the great lakes.

No I know he was, but what I meant with my post is people look at 850mb temps and assume warmth, when its is not quite that simple.

That system/front looks like a slow mover with several disturbances riding along it which screams ice to me. A number of the euro ensembles DO have it as well. Something to watch anyways.

I was thinking the exact same thing. I think this type of pattern is quite common during La Nina winters...I remember it happening during the La Ninas of the 90s.

Looks like I may have been wrong about this morning being the last subzero reading of the season. We're already down to 1 above as we approach midnight. The arctic air looks like it's become very shallow though, as some surrounding readings are as much as 10-15 degrees warmer.

Increasing clouds should limit things from dropping too much more.

No I know he was, but what I meant with my post is people look at 850mb temps and assume warmth, when its is not quite that simple.

Our local meteorologist Bill Steffen mentioned that this past week. He said that even though the models show 40s, this type of pattern in February combined with the snowpack around Michigan usually leads to low clouds, gloomy, and temps in the 30s.

Archived