Total Members
    Most Online
    clydes6
    Newest Member
    clydes6
MW/GL/OV February 2011 discussion

Hoosier

Now -15 in Aurora, and it hasn't even decoupled... :stun:

I think it could be the coldest place in the lower 48 right now (x-mountains)???

-12 at Rochelle

-1 at ORD

A guy in northeast IA im friends with on fb is saying its -20 at his house and showing a pic of his digital thermometer...although none of the surrounding obs are colder than -13..seems a bit cold but who knows.

• Replies 969
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think we had even a flurry last March... I'm going with that... No more snow until December of next year for LSE...

:)

Checked my mpg on my Focus... 22mpg last tank...man this cold is bad on cars...short trips kill gas mileage in the winter. Summer i easily attain 30mpg.. gas jumped here like 7 cents today. I'm getting an electric car...when the government starts giving them away :thumbsup:

You have at least one more storm of 10" to come and at least 20" more of snow will fall this winter/spring.

Heading in to that depressing time of winter where you can really start to notice the sun do its dirty work and evenings getting longer but it is what it is and us true snow weenies deal with it. At least we got 2 weekends after the blizzard to enjoy a huge snow pack and UP of MI like POW riding - what more can a person ask for this far south... and this warm up is actually not the worst thing in the world as travel on any lake by foot is almost impossible.. Also better to have this warm up now than when the sun can really do damage in a couple more weeks. Canada looks nothing like last winter so that gives me a pretty good feeling that the end of Feb. and March will deliver at least one more good s-storm for a lot of us.

Once we get through March and in to the worst 2 months for warm weather in MKE while others are roasting we will only be 6 months away from OCT. and watching the long range models for snow :guitar:

Yes and let that month be May :thumbsup: and warm the area East of the Mississippi :)

lol don't worry once this 2 week pattern breaks down in the west the west ridge will build back in although it'll probably be a rex block and the southern energy will be forced south but it might phase further east as the southern energy wave gets forced east, we'll be warmer than in the past 4 weeks but we have plenty of potential for a big one as the PV should finally consolidate further north instead of hovering around st. james area I think that the northern plains have 1 chance at a decent storm as the ridge breaks down if energy can slide east and force lee side cyclogenesis, other than that the building ridge out west will force the bigger storms further east.

lol don't worry once this 2 week pattern breaks down in the west the west ridge will build back in although it'll probably be a rex block and the southern energy will be forced south but it might phase further east as the southern energy wave gets forced east, we'll be warmer than in the past 4 weeks but we have plenty of potential for a big one as the PV should finally consolidate further north instead of hovering around st. james area I think that the northern plains have 1 chance at a decent storm as the ridge breaks down if energy can slide east and force lee side cyclogenesis, other than that the building ridge out west will force the bigger storms further east.

I like your thinking :) I feel there may be one or even two big ones left in the gun before the end of winter.

Clipper continues to look good. Reinforce the snowcover and maybe it can withstand the warmth onslaught nextweek.

As of now, looks great for you and a glancing blow at best here. Of course much can change for the better or worse. Whats your snowdepth? And any idea how much water is in it?

First sub-zero morning officially of the winter, temp -1F at DTW and dropping, wind chills nearing -20F. Actually first subzero morning since Feb 2009. We tend to like to stay overcast on the coldest nights lol.

-17 here. Just up the Rock River Sterling is -22.

You guys use Nat Gas or heating oil? This part of Michigan is mostly Nat Gas but as you get into rural areas most use propane or heating oil. What disturbs me is the economic hardships on top of high energy costs. This Winter must be having an effect on the overall economy and consumer spending. The cold has been so persistent and expensive. Warmer weather couldn't come any faster for those on tight budgets.

Sparty-

Around here its almost 100% NG... I know outside the city you'll mostly find propane. My brother is on propane and locked in very cheap last summer...($1.50/gallon)... For some reason propane is very expensive out east. I was reading that people out there pay $3-4/gallon. I couldn't imagine. I'd sell and move to Florida.

NWS showing -12F...

well i'm going to try and stave off the warmth as long as we can over here, as the gradient battelground should lie overhead.

the heat building in the Plains is ridiculous thought, i dont think the PV will be able to hold it off altogether, and i expect we will see some sort of thaw at some point.

hopefully the pattern reloads and turns active shortly after that.

CS-

Coldest temp in years?

Just hasn't been cold around here lately...i have to go way back to find a -25F or colder... Obviously the cold can't come down the plains like it has... It has been below 0F 17x this winter...so that is probably near normal. Coldest this year here has been -20F.

Coldest here since Jan. 15th, '09 (-13F).

While in the city proper (Detroit City Airport) only made it to 2*F this morning, Detroit Metro Airport plummeted to -4*C. It was officially the coldest night of the season, and I think it was our coldest night since 2008 or 2009.

Which is amazing considering we had to conted with partial cloudiness from lake stratus.

Archived