• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    happyweatherforyou
    Newest Member
    happyweatherforyou
MW/GL/OV February 2011 discussion

Hoosier

March 2009 was an anomaly, as was March 2010. Keep in mind, DTW averages nearly 9" in March/April (7.0" Mar, 1.7" Apr). Winter in general, especially as cold and white as this one is, may be past its prime, but it is CERTAINLY far from over.

Makes me very hopeful about March this year. To have back to back to back snowless or near snowless Marches is nearly unheard of around these parts.

• Replies 969
  • Created
  • Last Reply

March 2009 was an anomaly, as was March 2010. Keep in mind, DTW averages nearly 9" in March/April (7.0" Mar, 1.7" Apr). Winter in general, especially as cold and white as this one is, may be past its prime, but it is CERTAINLY far from over.

Why was that? So climo wise March still creates its fair share of snow. What are your thoughts on this March...Or for that matter how would you rate this winter and its insane persistence.?

FWA has received 38.0" (I have 34.4" IMBY). This 13.6" above normal. The average seasonal snowfall is only 32.4. Climo shows that we should get another 10.7".

I'll predict another 6" the rest of the winter for FWA.

35.1" for FWA. Not to be nitpicky or anything. :P

http://cdo.ncdc.noaa.gov/climatenormals/clim20-02/NWS_SNOW_MNFALL_fmt.dat

Why was that? So climo wise March still creates its fair share of snow. What are your thoughts on this March...Or for that matter how would you rate this winter and its insane persistence.?

Oops, I was thinking of March 2010 and how warm it was. March 2009 was anamolously low in snow, and warmer than normal but not as insane as March 2010. Well, this winter has been very un-Nina-like here, but if I was to bank on the Nina (a more Nina-like pattern seems to be setting up) and the fact that the previous 2 Marches were snowless, then Id bet we are in for a snowy March with at least 1 good storm.

I personally give this winter an A. Above normal snowfall, below normal temps, and well-above normal snowcover in terms of both days with snow on the ground and depth. How on earth could a winter-lover give it anything less than an A!?

35.1" for FWA. Not to be nitpicky or anything. :P

http://cdo.ncdc.noaa..._MNFALL_fmt.dat

That's okay. I want to be accurate. I was going by this:

http://www.weather.g...=climate#CLIFWA

SNOWFALL (IN)

TODAY 0.0 3.9 2010 0.3 -0.3 3.9

MONTH TO DATE 11.0 2.7 8.3 6.7

SINCE OCT 1 38.0 24.4 13.6 23.9

SINCE JUL 1 38.0 24.4 13.6 23.9

35.1" would put it much closer to my back yard measurements.

If we are talking about seasonal averages, I got it from here:

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/iwx/CLI/FWA/history/climatedescription.php

"WINTER WEATHER: Snowfall averages 32.4" per year. Six inch or greater snowfalls usually only occur once per season."

Oops, I was thinking of March 2010 and how warm it was. March 2009 was anamolously low in snow, and warmer than normal but not as insane as March 2010. Well, this winter has been very un-Nina-like here, but if I was to bank on the Nina (a more Nina-like pattern seems to be setting up) and the fact that the previous 2 Marches were snowless, then Id bet we are in for a snowy March with at least 1 good storm.

I personally give this winter an A. Above normal snowfall, below normal temps, and well-above normal snowcover in terms of both days with snow on the ground and depth. How on earth could a winter-lover give it anything less than an A!?

If you have high standards like myself..For a winter to receive an A a 10-12 + snowstorm in 12 hrs or less must happen.

ATM B- to solid B for now.

I agree its been a great winter.

That's okay. I want to be accurate. I was going by this:

http://www.weather.g...=climate#CLIFWA

SNOWFALL (IN)

TODAY 0.0 3.9 2010 0.3 -0.3 3.9

MONTH TO DATE 11.0 2.7 8.3 6.7

SINCE OCT 1 38.0 24.4 13.6 23.9

SINCE JUL 1 38.0 24.4 13.6 23.9

35.1" would put it much closer to my back yard measurements.

If we are talking about seasonal averages, I got it from here:

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/iwx/CLI/FWA/history/climatedescription.php

"WINTER WEATHER: Snowfall averages 32.4" per year. Six inch or greater snowfalls usually only occur once per season."

The 35.1" was the 1971-00 seasonal snowfall average. Not sure where they get 32.4" for FWA in that link. You're 100% right though about 38.0" so far this season.

If you have high standards like myself..For a winter to receive an A a 10-12 + snowstorm in 12 hrs or less must happen.

ATM B- to solid B for now.

I agree its been a great winter.

Yeah, quite a few on here actually hold the biggest snowstorm as a huge factor in their winter grade, Im just one of the ones that dont. I welcome storms like that with open arms but do not let their absense (ie we had 10" in 36-hours Feb 1/2) affect my grade in such a stellar winter as this :)

Thanks for that link. I have always been under the impression that the average was 32.4" :arrowhead:

Maybe it'a long term average they're using? Of course the 30 current year normal snowfall (1971-00) is higher due to the 70's still be included. It'll probably drop a little when the 1981-10 numbers are released. Of course the link I put up is good for first order stations, including FWA, but the COOP numbers are a joke in some cases...the WL one being a prime example. Whoever does the measuring there is very lazy or measures snow on a hot plate. Or a combo of both. :lol:

I don't think we had even a flurry last March... I'm going with that... No more snow until December of next year for LSE...

:)

Checked my mpg on my Focus... 22mpg last tank...man this cold is bad on cars...short trips kill gas mileage in the winter. Summer i easily attain 30mpg.. gas jumped here like 7 cents today. I'm getting an electric car...when the government starts giving them away :thumbsup:

March...Snow

2010.....3.0"

2009.....3.9"

2008.....7.3"

2007.....3.5"

April....Snow

2010......T

2009.....3.8"

2008......T

2007.....N/A

Hmm for some reason I figured that Chicago did better than that. That being said there is still over 2 weeks left in this month and even though we are looking at a warm up, I'd have a hard time believing we stay much above normal for the entire 2+ week period.

Hmm for some reason I figured that Chicago did better than that. That being said there is still over 2 weeks left in this month and even though we are looking at a warm up, I'd have a hard time believing we stay much above normal for the entire 2+ week period.

That was MBY...here is ORD:

March...Snow

2010.....1.8"

2009.....2.1"

2008.....7.9"

2007.....2.3"

2006.....5.7"

April....Snow

2010......T

2009.....2.1"

2008......T

2007.....3.0"

2006..... T

That was MBY...here is ORD:

March...Snow

2010.....1.8"

2009.....2.1"

2008.....7.9"

2007.....2.3"

2006.....5.7"

April....Snow

2010......T

2009.....2.1"

2008......T

2007.....3.0"

2006..... T

DTW in that time frame

March...Snow

2010.....T

2009.....1.0"

2008...21.0"

2007.....5.5"

2006.....3.4"

April....Snow

2010......T

2009.....7.4"

2008......T

2007.....1.6"

2006..... T

Honestly, with La Nina climo and stuff, Im still feeling a very snowy March in this region. Chicago seems very due, and though Detroit cashed in major in 2008, the last 2 Marches were a huge anomaly. Keep in mind, a "snowy" March is not the same as a "snowy" January (major exception areawide would be March 1960). There will be several mild to warm springlike days, but also probably several snowstorms, at least one of which should dump major snow somewhere in the region.

It goes without saying that ORD exceeded their February average by early on the 2nd, but February also exceeded the monthly normal at DTW as well by midday on the 2nd LOL, and by the 5th the we were already 7" above average for the ENTIRE month with 23 days remaining of our shortest month. While things look quiet, it does not mean february is done with snow either.

Question:

Obviously imperial units are still dominant in the U.S. when measuring most weather phenomenon. However, I've not noticed many on this board using inches (of mercury) to measure pressure. Have millibars become standard?

I haven't seen many using in/hg. It is standard in aviation/FAA here in the US--but outside of TV--most folks in weather use millibars/hpa. Personally I can't stand in/hg.

Archived