Jump to content

Scarlet Pimpernel

Members
  • Posts

    7,819
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Scarlet Pimpernel

  1. Well, there's always Jobu. Just don't drink his rum...is very bad!!
  2. The Lord of the Winter, I: The Fellowship of the Mid-Atlantic The Lord of the Winter, II: The Two Phased Vorts The Lord of the Winter, III: Return of the Chill!
  3. It could be a "thread the needle" thread!! First rule of the Thread Club is to not mention what thread it is?? (Feel free to...uhhh...spin a good yarn, as it were! *Ducks after lousy pun!*)
  4. Hope this isn't too much banter or sounding overly political (given the situation!)...but I hope you're doing OK over there right in DC. Lived near Capitol Hill for years before moving to where I'm at now in MD, so I can imagine how crazy it must be.
  5. Anything in particular (mid-levels??) that trashes the BL thermals? Or is the antecedent airmass just so marginal or worse to begin with? ETA: Just saw @psuhoffman's comment above, I guess that pretty well explains it!
  6. Thank you for responding (to Ji) with exactly the sentiment I wanted to express! Though your wording is perhaps more diplomatic than what I had in mind!
  7. I notice that in my place when there's cloud cover for any length of time (like most of yesterday and today). Can get relatively cool inside when that happens, even with radiator heat. On the other hand, when it's clear...the way this building is situated the sun comes right in during late afternoon and it can get quite warm at times. So yeah, messing with the heat levels to accommodate isn't something I care to do much, either.
  8. Wear a mask...help STOP the spread!!
  9. Hopefully a debate that was over in short order after scanning what's in the liquor cabinet! Cheers!!
  10. I know, right?? Came in here and thought it was a continuation of 2020 or something...
  11. We need a true - JiP (negative Ji post) for really big snows around here.
  12. Don't know... It might be fleeting and not very 1996-like?
  13. In a way, I agree with you here (no, not the part where you say that this makes you an ass...well, maybe sorta!). I personally see little difference between 6" slop spread over several events, that disappear before you sneeze...and dealing with 55-60 degrees most of the winter. Honestly (and this is simply conjecture on my part), I don't see us having quite so consistent a level of warmth as we did last year, and our single best event being...all of 1.5" total. Whether that means anything, who knows. But yeah, if we're going to have a couple of slop storms, who cares, might as well have it be "late fall" most of the time instead! I just hope we don't have mosquitos still hanging around in January, please! Interestingly, I looked up DJF last year (2019-20) and DJF from 2015-16 (year we got the blizzard). At least for DCA, last year was warmer over those 3 winter months compared to '15-16, and more consistently so. And that is after a +11.5 departure in Dec. 2015!! Take out Dec. 2015 and you see a different picture that year. I know people like to "dis" that winter as a one-and-done luck out with the blizzard that sucked otherwise, but fact is...we DID luck out. And it wasn't all luck. We were graced with a favorable pattern and a STJ on 'roids through the middle-end part of January. And in fact, besides the awful warmth in December, Jan-Feb were kinda at or slightly below normal overall (2nd half of Feb did get warmer, to be sure, as I recall). Last year didn't even give us any chance for a luck event, really. Oh, and last year, DCA did not record a single max temperature of 32 or below at all.
  14. C'mon, if you're gonna punt, go for the best (Ray Guy)!!
  15. Hey @WxWatcher007, is the Panic Room open yet for this season? Looks like you'll have an overflow crowd right from the start! Perhaps introduce "contactless" check-in!! And sanitize each room with tears from agonized snow weenies!
  16. I'll take a bit of issue stating categorically that 2015-16 was a "crappy winter." But that's all a matter of perspective and opinion of course, and others have expressed the same view, so it is what it is. I won't deny that Dec. 2015 was absolutely awful, the worst in the annals of craptacularity, with a +11 temperature departure for the month. More April than December. However, if you look at the temperatures for Jan. 2016, it was slightly colder than normal, and Feb. 2016 was near to a hair above normal. Though to be sure, the 2nd half of Feb. warmed up again. For snow...outside that one amazing event...you could argue it sucked, sure. But fact is we did get that one spectacular event. And in Feb., there was a small to moderate snow/ice event (that changed to rain very late) around President's Day weekend. Did we have other chances in that 2 month period? I don't remember. But to me, truly crappy would be last winter, where it was nearly wall-to-wall shutout with no chance. And a toaster bath most of the time. Or 2001-02, and 2011-12. Those are the worst kinds in terms of awful winters in my opinion...consistently lousy temperatures and almost no real snow opportunities. I'd argue that as bad as a lot of 2015-16 seemed (mostly thanks to that December), we still had a couple of realistic periods for something.
  17. 11 pages for a Winter 2020-21 thread, and we're barely into September...oy gevalt!! Either desperation or hope, I'm not sure which. I didn't read the whole thing, but has Ji canceled this upcoming winter yet? And how many times? Do we have Panic Room previews?? @WxWatcher007 promised so many new amenities this upcoming season for the wayward weenies!!
  18. Something like Feb. 14, 2015 would be kinda cool!! That wasn't really 2-4" area-wide, but I got like 2" in an hour or so followed by gusty winds and temperatures plummeted into the teens for the next day or so, as an Arctic front went through. One of the coolest "mini events" I can remember.
  19. @psuhoffman, many thanks for compiling this! Very informative and useful...appreciate your efforts and time!
×
×
  • Create New...