Total Members
    Most Online
    Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
Guess the 2011 Global Temperature Anomalies

donsutherland1

Guess the GISS and UAH global temperature anomalies for 2011:

GISS: http://data.giss.nas...GLB.Ts+dSST.txt (The annual anomaly will be the J-D figure). NOTE: "40" = +40/100 or +0.40°C

New GISS Table: http://data.giss.nasa.gov/gistemp/_tabledata3/GLB.Ts+dSST.txt

UAH: http://vortex.nsstc....t2lt/uahncdc.lt (The annual anomaly will be the average of the January-December monthly figures for "globe")

This thread is for guesses and verifications, not discussion of climate change.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its not stronger. I have it a bit warmer on UAH due to the warmer AMO.

It is a little stronger...2008 peaked at -1.4C whereas we have already surpassed the -1.5C strong threshold this time around. I agree with you, however, that the Atlantic Ocean is still pretty warm due to the AMO/NAO pattern we've seen, and that should drive the global temperature anomaly up a bit. On the other hand, the Pacific is brutally cold and the Indian Ocean has lost a ton of heat lately, so that should drive global temperatures down somewhat.

I admit to a bit of hedging since everyone's guess was higher than mine. I can easily see UAH come in negative this year, and my preliminary guess was -.1C. The fact that December 2010 still came in at .18C made me go a little higher.

I admit to a bit of hedging since everyone's guess was higher than mine. I can easily see UAH come in negative this year, and my preliminary guess was -.1C. The fact that December 2010 still came in at .18C made me go a little higher.

Yeah I seem to remember you saying something along the lines of -.1C so I was surprised

Yeah I seem to remember you saying something along the lines of -.1C so I was surprised

I am thinking about changing my guess, don't know if that's still OK.

I just glanced at SST maps and we're seeing widespread cooling around Patagonia, from the Indian Ocean into Indonesia/Australia, and just south of the ENSO regions. The cold pool in the Central Atlantic has also been expanding quite dramatically. It's really impressive how cold the oceans have become, we're going to see an incredible drop in global temperatures that will probably challenge IPCC to revise their modeling estimates.

It is a little stronger...2008 peaked at -1.4C whereas we have already surpassed the -1.5C strong threshold this time around. I agree with you, however, that the Atlantic Ocean is still pretty warm due to the AMO/NAO pattern we've seen, and that should drive the global temperature anomaly up a bit. On the other hand, the Pacific is brutally cold and the Indian Ocean has lost a ton of heat lately, so that should drive global temperatures down somewhat.

Oh Wait... are we going by the New UAH base or the Old UAH base? I've decided to disregard the new base change & just add +0.1C to the final reading to get the old base.

I'm not happy with how UAH adjusted the base, in fact, I'm quite peeved over it. All measuring models/Satellites should use the same Base IMO.

Oh Wait... are we going by the New UAH base or the Old UAH base? I've decided to disregard the new base change & just add +0.1C to the final reading to get the old base.

I'm not happy with how UAH adjusted the base, in fact, I'm quite peeved over it.

Yes, we need to decide if we are using the 1979-2000 baseline or the new baseline. How are we going to settle this?

I was thinking of the old baseline when I made my guess of zero anomaly.

I completely forgot about that... were the numbers Don posted old or new baseline?

See this is what I keep telling you guys.. you DON"T change your baseline. It is confusing enough just for us.. nevermind if you have 10s of thousands of journal articles all using dozens of different incompatible baselines. This is why GISS uses its 1951-1980 baseline still.

EDIT: I figured it out, they are new baseline

... I was thinking old baseline

I completely forgot about that... were the numbers Don posted old or new baseline?

See this is what I keep telling you guys.. you DON"T change your baseline. It is confusing enough just for us.. nevermind if you have 10s of thousands of journal articles all using dozens of different incompatible baselines. This is why GISS uses its 1951-1980 baseline still.

EDIT: I figured it out, they are new baseline

... I was thinking old baseline

I think we should use the new baseline.

If that is the case, I'm going to edit to -.07C.

Yes, we need to decide if we are using the 1979-2000 baseline or the new baseline. How are we going to settle this?

I was thinking of the old baseline when I made my guess of zero anomaly.

We should probably just go with new baseline since that will probably cause less confusion in the long run (until UAH decides to play games with us and switch it again)

That's .13C higher than your first guess on the old baseline and .03C higher than your new guess on the old baseline.. why the sudden shift?

Just throwing out some numbers...didn't originally realize that GISS came in negative for 2008, but I do want to go a little warmer given the massive area of above average SSTs in the North Atlantic. That doesn't seem to be eroding given the continued -NAO pattern. I'm not really sure what to expect, I think we're cooling massively but not sure if we'll get a lag since last month still came in at .18C.

Have we agreed on the new baseline?

Just throwing out some numbers...didn't originally realize that GISS came in negative for 2008, but I do want to go a little warmer given the massive area of above average SSTs in the North Atlantic. That doesn't seem to be eroding given the continued -NAO pattern. I'm not really sure what to expect, I think we're cooling massively but not sure if we'll get a lag since last month still came in at .18C.

Have we agreed on the new baseline?

I think so... for the contest at least... in reality, I just add +0.1C to get the global temp anomaly. Yes the reason I'm warm is due to the Crazy +AMO... otherwise I'd probably be estimating -.15C if it were Neutral right now.

It takes the atmosphere time to react when the oceans change, but we're beginning to see it now in the form of global synoptic changes. Thats a good sign if you want cooling.

Archived